Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Roger Zelazny  (Read 15075 times)
Futile Rhetoric
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 04:28:32 pm »

Completely different. For the record, I agree about the Amber books, so we are on the same page.
Just finished it, and loved it -- chapters two and three especially so. Sugata's (side)story was absolutely brilliantly done, I thought. I have my gripes, though: while I can forgive Zelazny for slipping into colloquialisms from time to time when dealing with the Gods' speech (it was quite deliberate too I'm sure, albeit somewhat jarring), every time he used the word "accelerationism" it was like hundreds and hundreds of tiny feral children applied their uncut fingernails to just as many blackboards, all perilously close to my eardrums. Such an ugly, unfitting word.
farvardin
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 04:25:33 am »

I just bought a P.K. Dick novel called "Deus Irae", where Zelazny is credited as co-author. Anyone read it?

I've read Deus Irae, a very long time ago (more than 15 years), and I don't remember it very well, but I liked it at that time. I like Philip K. Dick as much as I like Zelazny (but for different reasons). By Zelazny I've read Amber, of course, and also "Today we Choose Faces", which is interesting too (about clones), "Roadmarks", and a few others I don't remember.
Palmer Eldritch

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 08:12:21 am »

all right, thanks for your comment - I was bit worried that it might be a mediocre work, since I have found that it is often the case with collaborative efforts.

As I'm currently reading Dracula (first time unabridged, for me), and have huge pile of books on my "to-read list", I think it'll be a while before I really explore the works of Zelazny, but it is always fun to learn of new authors.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 08:42:12 am »

Zelazny is one of the true master of Sci-fi and fantasy. Well...was unfortunately.
His skill with words is very unique as is his writing style. Often his stories turn into some wonderfull kind of prosaic poetry without ever becoming cliche or sentimental in a bad way.

I got hooked up on his works through many short stories i have read through my childhood days. Of the books his most valued is "Lord of Light"...  a story about post human advanced society on earth where every individual is almost a god.
Infact most of them choose to show themselves and take on the roles of mostly Hindu Gods and other creatures from hindu mythology.
Into all of that (again) comes an individual called Sam who many regard as incarnation of the Budha himslef and tries to topple that stale society down.

It is also a good book to familiarize yourself on differences between Budhism and Hinduism.

Amber books so far, for me, are his weakest works. I guess they became popular precisly because they are a kind of simplistic fantasy where everything is possible. Which i dont like at all.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 10:44:44 am »

I'll have to try damnation alley, sounds good. Has anyone read "Roadmarks" or "Doorways in the Sand"? Those are the 2 that I like best from Zelazny, esp. Roadmarks.

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
CORMAC MCCARTHY, The Road
Benedict
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 09:44:41 am »

I'm going to break with the consensus here and say I was a bit disappointed with Lords of Light, it was kind of a good concept but I found it lost something in the genre blending. A lot of it had the feeling of reading a translation of Monkey, very appropriate in some ways, but the kind of florid and exaggerated descriptions of divinities that are very powerful when encountered in folk tales of that kind lose something when shoehorned into a sci-fi setting.
Solus
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 03:39:56 pm »

A different view on the Amber series, I loved it.  I read all 10 books in about 3 or 4 days, I even called in sick on of those days to get in more reading time.  I really liked the cosmology presented in the series, I thought the writing was sharp, and the characters presented fairly well.  Not my favorite seires of books, but well worth getting through in my opinion.  Besides each book is only 200 pages or something, you can finish one in less then an evening no problem.
Dicksmoker
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 06:56:19 pm »

hmm, sounds good. I was not able to locate a copy of damnation alley, but instead, I found the whole amber series collected in one volume. Still hesitant about buying it, as it's been years since I touched any book that can be categorized as "fantasy".

Yeah I can't find anything besides the big omnibus edition. That's a big commitment to make and I don't think I'll do it. Single books please.
xantrius

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 04:07:04 pm »

Just ordered "Lord and Light", looks interesting, although "Creatures of Light and Darkness" caught my fancy more, but I could only find used relative expensive copies of that one; it's apparently out of print...

Once you enter into a polemic with someone and then abruptly leaves, then people will usually think that you hate them. ~ Nietzsche (paraphrased)   

[...]Pathologic has the most 'elite' RPG features like superb story, exploration, dialogues, C&C - and takes them to such a high level that few RPGs ever aspired. [...]
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 01:07:06 pm »

I've just finished reading The Chronicles of Amber, and it was a very special read.
It's a great pity the series was never finished, the final short novels were clearly a preamble for a lengthy and epic continuation.
Overall, somewhere in the middle of the series it gets a bit boring, but later, once your make it through the less exciting parts, it improves and shines again, especially in the last books.

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 11:27:40 am »

Curiously, "Roadmarks" and "Jack Of Shadow" share certain cosmogonical elements with the "Chronicles", yet they're very different otherwise.

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: