Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD November update  (Read 22071 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:27:44 am »

We finally released the first two chapters on Steam’s Early Access, which is a major milestone.  If you missed the news, the Early Access release gives you 10 locations, which represents about 60% of the game. Three more locations will be added after the New Year, and the remaining seven end-game locations will be released in the summer (we’re planning to start the final beta-test in April-May 2014).

So far, we sold 3,332 copies on Steam and 1,929 copies via our own site and GamersGate, generating $141,780. As always, we want to thank you for your support, patronage, and most importantly, for your faith in our ability to make a game worth playing.

To-date 6,107 people downloaded the demo on Steam; 417 bought the Early Access version after, i.e. 6.8% conversion rate, which, apparently, is pretty good (the industry standards are 1-5% for non-casual games), which means that we need to get the demo in front of more people.

The launch highlighted many issues and generated a lot of feedback, so we spent the last 4 weeks working on the first update. Due to some unforeseen problems, we won't be able to upload the new version to BMT until next week, but the update is out on Steam. We can provide the Steam keys if you want to try it out (In before "You sold out to Steam!!") Wink

Notable changes:

• A long overdue tutorial. Now you can fight in a mini-arena against several opponents before you start the game, which will make it easier for new players to learn the system, without the story elements getting in the way and the need to make a new character every time you’re killed. It replaces the awesome difficulty mode, which wasn’t really that awesome or helpful.
  • A new and improved character screen! Now with 50% more info! Must see to believe!
  • 6 new traders in Maadoran with improved inventories and unique items to spend your hard-earned money on.
  • Speaking of your hard-earned money, the economic reforms aimed to deliver prosperity have failed and wiped out everyone’s savings. So, no more running around with pockets full of gold. A free soup kitchen DLC will be added later.
  • A truckload of bug fixes, balance tweaks, reputation adjustments, quest improvements. For example, now you can talk your way out of the ambush in the merchants guild’s questline, have more options  during the infiltration of Gaelius’ palace, options during the fight at the Antidas’ compound , Antidas dying now lowers the morale of the Daratan guards, reducing their attack and defense.
  • More training. Earning more skill points and weapon bonuses has never been easier. Just talk to many ever-helpful NPCs (like Dellar and Feng) and they will gladly impart their wisdom unto you (may require high reputation and charisma, terms and conditions may apply).
  • The crafting techniques you have now will no longer have to be acquired in-game as we don’t want you to invest valuable points into Crafting and then fail to find more than 2-3 techniques. New, appropriately rare techniques will be added instead. So, you keep what you have now as your standard set of techniques and get rare techniques if you’re lucky.
  • We’ve started adding alchemical ingredients that you will be able to gather at different places.  The demo alchemist will stick around until we finish it.
  • The game now features a built-in crash reporting system. Send us a crash report, and we will know when, how, and how the hell your game crashed!

Here is the full list of improvements, changes and fixes for Update 1. These changes apply to both the demo and Early Access version, except for unique EA quests changes.

(click to show/hide)

Also, we’re working on Achievements (will be added in the next update). The first batch is 65 achievements tracking your adventures and glory, but we’ll probably have around 120-150 due to the high number of different things you can do in-game. Sneak preview:

- Interrogator

- On His Lordship’s Secret Service

- "Good Morrow to You, Magistrate!"

- Under New Management

- “And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger... And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you."

- Killed more people than malaria (for men of much violence and fans of Justified)

- "Is life always this hard?"

Well, that’s about it. So, go try the updated demo and let us know what you think. Thank you again for your support. We would have never made it this far without you.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:22:27 pm by Oscar » Logged
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:31:36 pm »

Updated the post with the changelog.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Brandon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:36:24 pm »

So far, we sold 3,332 copies on Steam and 1,929 copies via our own site and GamersGate

To-date 6,107 people downloaded the demo on Steam; 417 bought the Early Access version after, i.e. 6.8% conversion rate, which, apparently, is pretty good (the industry standards are 1-5% for non-casual games), which means that we need to get the demo in front of more people.

That's excellent news.   Approve

So how do we go about getting one of those Steam keys if we are BMT orderer?   Panic   Grin
SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 05:49:49 pm »

Was wondering what this update was, nice!
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:19:02 pm »

So how do we go about getting one of those Steam keys if we are BMT orderer?   Panic   Grin

We had this thread running for quite some time now:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3516.0.html

Wink

AbounI
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:24:09 pm »

Good Lord, what an update  Cool
Dewey_Master
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:23:51 pm »

• The crafting techniques you have now will no longer have to be acquired in-game as we don’t want you to invest valuable points into Crafting and then fail to find more than 2-3 techniques. New, appropriately rare techniques will be added instead. So, you keep what you have now as your standard set of techniques and get rare techniques if you’re lucky.

- Increased metal bonus to weapon damage and armor DR from 0-1-2-3-4 to 0-2-4-6-8.

- Rebalanced shield DR bonus from 4-5-6-7 to 3-5-7-9.

- Increased strength bonus for block from 2 points to 5 points.

Wow! I was actually intending today to request the first three changed I quoted above. The combination of point allocation and in-game events to upgrade abilities (as is now done with crafting) was something I rather enjoyed with the trainers in Arcanum. Hopefully that means balanced weapons can remain as AP-lowering rather than THC-raising, especially if it is as rare/difficult as advertised. The two point intervals of DR, especially for shields, should be helpful for block and high armor characters.

One question: what is the "strength bonus for block" as I don't remember that being discussed previously?

Thanks again! I am very excited to play with the changes!
Brandon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 11:26:50 pm »

We had this thread running for quite some time now:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3516.0.html

Wink

Salute

This is like Christmas come early!  And I don't even like Christmas! 
Elthosian
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 11:35:04 pm »

Hey guys,

Are you planning to add sounds for when you click the dialogue options? Dunno if I am the only one but I prefer when there is such feedback for clicking stuff, like when you navigate the menus and so, of course it isn't something essential but I figured I could said it over here.

Btw, love the new character creation screen, though are the other four archetypes getting their own banners? It's not like they could get any organization's but the soldiers doesn't fit as well IMO, suppose it's a placeholder or something.

OH, also, it seems it's not possible to create female characters anymore (at least for me), looks like a bug though because the "slot" where the female gender button was is still there.

Thanks in advance, can't wait to play this new version a bit more  Salute
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 11:45:10 pm »

Wow! I was actually intending today to request the first three changed I quoted above. The combination of point allocation and in-game events to upgrade abilities (as is now done with crafting) was something I rather enjoyed with the trainers in Arcanum. Hopefully that means balanced weapons can remain as AP-lowering rather than THC-raising, especially if it is as rare/difficult as advertised.

We'll have both. The balanced one will be a "default" technique that you will unlock just by raising crafting, and the AP lowering one will be a very rare, high level technique that you will need to find in the world.

One question: what is the "strength bonus for block" as I don't remember that being discussed previously?

It's something that was always there but that people never knew it existed. You will be able to check it on the new character screen Wink

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 11:49:07 pm »

Hey guys,

Are you planning to add sounds for when you click the dialogue options? Dunno if I am the only one but I prefer when there is such feedback for clicking stuff, like when you navigate the menus and so, of course it isn't something essential but I figured I could said it over here.

We might, we still have quite a lot of work to do on sounds.

Btw, love the new character creation screen, though are the other four archetypes getting their own banners? It's not like they could get any organization's but the soldiers doesn't fit as well IMO, suppose it's a placeholder or something.

Yep, placeholder Smile

OH, also, it seems it's not possible to create female characters anymore (at least for me), looks like a bug though because the "slot" where the female gender button was is still there.

Damn, missed that one. In any case, it's only for the 768 height of the interface. Please switch to a resolution smaller than 768 height or higher than 900 height for character creation as a workaround.

puppyonastik
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 01:24:41 am »

So far, we sold 3,332 copies on Steam and 1,929 copies via our own site and GamersGate, generating $141,780. As always, we want to thank you for your support, patronage, and most importantly, for your faith in our ability to make a game worth playing.

Out-fucking-standing, Gentlemen! I'm beaming proud of you all! This (hopefully) bodes very well for the final release of the game!  May the Iron Tower stand tall for decades! Salute :/ultra-patriotism:

Quote from: Mayday
Can a single dick even enter a group setting?
Quote from: Fez
You've never lived until you've tried it.
Brandon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 01:31:51 am »

- Reduced shield THC penalty from 5-10-15-20 to 0-5-10-15.
- Rebalanced shield DR bonus from 4-5-6-7 to 3-5-7-9.
- Increased full block from block from 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40 to 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50.

Block definitely feels much better so far.
Having zero THC penalty on the buckler is very helpful early game.
Elthosian
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 01:40:41 am »

Hey guys,

We might, we still have quite a lot of work to do on sounds.

Yep, placeholder Smile

Damn, missed that one. In any case, it's only for the 768 height of the interface. Please switch to a resolution smaller than 768 height or higher than 900 height for character creation as a workaround.

¡Gracias Oscar! It works nicely now, and I am really looking forward to see how you keep improving the interface as the game gets closer to release  Tongue
Darkthia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 01:46:20 am »

Thats fantastic!

You know that adds up to a total sales number of 5261 copies sold, which is actually the same as the average sales figures for such Indie mainstays as Jeff Vogel. And the games not even out yet!

Salute

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: