Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walking Dead Show  (Read 5922 times)
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2013, 01:06:29 pm »

I read both the comic and watch the show.  The comic is better than the show, but the show is decent.  A bonus is that my wife likes the show and she rarely likes any American tv, so it is something we can watch together.  Some people may dislike Season 2 for turning into a zombie soapopera, however I liked it for the character development.  I will say that if you like Season 1, you will like Season 3.

The reason I bring it up is that Brian mentioned in the past that he only watched a little of the Walking Dead series.  Interesting enough the first three episodes of season four have focused on maintaining the perimeter fence and scrounging for antibiotics to treat the symptoms of a mysterious flulike plague.  Sound familiar?  Grin

Anyways, people can feel free to hijack this thread to talk about the show in general.  Just be sure to lead off your post with the season and episode number so people can avoid spoilers.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:11:22 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:18:26 pm »

I can't stand the show, but I won't belabor the point (much) or bash peoples opinions.  Maybe when issue 116 comes out I'll make a comic-specific thread.  Tongue

The only way I could put up with the show was by editing out all the bad acting and writing, which left me with a series of watchable "movies," but after the horrible season 3 ending I just couldn't tolerate it anymore.  Wallbang

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 01:49:02 pm »

There is a thread for the comic already, although it is back on page two of this forum.

The show does have cheesy and forced moments, but I don't think it is that bad.  Although there was an incident at the end of episode three of season four that seemed very forced.  The character getting out of it seems like a bad case of deus ex machina to me.  However I watch very little tv and it is one of the few shows I try to keep up with.  I would watch it even if my wife didn't, but it is nice that it pulls her away from watching Japanese shows on the web.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Zarky
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:32:23 pm »

There is a thread for the comic already, although it is back on page two of this forum.

The show does have cheesy and forced moments, but I don't think it is that bad.  Although there was an incident at the end of episode three of season four that seemed very forced.  The character getting out of it seems like a bad case of deus ex machina to me.  However I watch very little tv and it is one of the few shows I try to keep up with.  I would watch it even if my wife didn't, but it is nice that it pulls her away from watching Japanese shows on the web.

I know exactly the thing you're talking about, but you're going to have to read certain issues of the comic book and then it'll make much more sense.

(click to show/hide)

That scene from the comics, or in this case a version of it, was something I've been waiting to see for a long time. Though I might add that the scene from TV wasn't as good, and did seem somehow even more deus-ex-machina-esque...

In other news... I'm kind of swamped by my studies right now, so I'm going to have to cut out at least few hours of quality TV-shows per week, Walking Dead however won't be getting cut anytime soon.
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 10:12:57 pm »

The show does have cheesy and forced moments, but I don't think it is that bad.  Although there was an incident at the end of episode three of season four that seemed very forced.  The character getting out of it seems like a bad case of deus ex machina to me.  However I watch very little tv and it is one of the few shows I try to keep up with.  I would watch it even if my wife didn't, but it is nice that it pulls her away from watching Japanese shows on the web.

I know exactly the thing you're talking about, but you're going to have to read certain issues of the comic book and then it'll make much more sense.

(click to show/hide)

That scene from the comics, or in this case a version of it, was something I've been waiting to see for a long time. Though I might add that the scene from TV wasn't as good, and did seem somehow even more deus-ex-machina-esque...

In other news... I'm kind of swamped by my studies right now, so I'm going to have to cut out at least few hours of quality TV-shows per week, Walking Dead however won't be getting cut anytime soon.

I have read the entire comic series, twice, and am awaiting the release of the next issue. I just wanted to avoid stating any spoilers for the comic or the show.  When I mentioned it being "forced", I was referring to them trying to unnecessarily recreate the situation from the comic.  Which was unbelievable as well, although the comic gets a little more leeway in that area. At least in the comic how he got into the situation makes sense.  
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:17:05 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
Thasic
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:22:59 am »

To each his own opinion, but The Walking Dead TV show is one of the highest rated shows on American television. Of course, so was Dancing With the Stars and American Idol, so we Americans don't have a lot of room to claim good sense. Still, compared to any other zombie based show, Walking Dead is pretty good. For a TV show the acting is not bad, the stories are well written, some of it is cheesy, but it's a show about zombies, you gotta expect some cheese.

Deficio est non en Bene
Maeon
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 12:29:40 pm »

The Walking Dead TV show is one of the highest rated shows on American television. Of course, so was Dancing With the Stars and American Idol, so we Americans don't have a lot of room to claim good sense.

International broadcast is a reliable scale of values sign (AMC "TWD" show : Belgium, Switzerland, France,  + Spain and UK ?)

[...] we are looking into localizing the game into a few other languages after release.
     I am looking into purchasing the game after localization.
BadVoodoo
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 07:04:46 pm »

I like what their trying to do with the "sickness" thing. I can appreciate the thought of trying to add another danger besides zombie but to be honest. At this point its dragging on too long and starting to go stale. I don't think the plot is stale but the show is starting to follow the footsteps of season 2 were it takes an entire episode for the survivors to decide what to do and another episode for them to actually do it.  

The sickness plot would've been better as a secondary plot because it could have added stress and drama to the show.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 07:06:28 pm by BadVoodoo » Logged

"Twelve hours of work and I still can't sleep. Damn. Days go on and on. They don't end."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: