Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGSystem Crash (Moderator: Gareth)Beta 1.0.1.3 released!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beta 1.0.1.3 released!  (Read 5459 times)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:34:45 am »

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnd after a long and unfortunate silence, System Crash Beta 1.0.1.3 is out!

Grab it HERE

Now, some people may take my extended silence as evidence that I've given up or lost interest or something. Not so. What actually happens is, when my time is scarce, whenever I get time to work, I always end up feeling like blogging is time that would be better spent coding etc. But I take it too far, I should at least keep pushing out small updates. But, funny thing, the longer I go without updating, the more I feel like I SHOULD be making a big progress announcement when I finally do post, so I again put off posting until I have that big announcement to make.

I'm just kind of shit at PR, really.

But anyway, this is a big release! A lot has been added or changed in the new beta. Let me go through it.

• 26 new cards, bringing the total from 55 to 81 cards, an almost 50% INCREASE in variety!
  • EXTENSIVE rebalancing. Many cards have been adjusted in some way. Many cards have shifted in cost and power tier, and had their special abilities altered.
  • Greater variety of cheap and expensive cards, for more variety at ALL tiers of gameplay. No more sitting with hands full of Neonmongers.
  • Black Market card buy/sell costs COMPLETELY redesigned. No longer is it a case where a card is more expensive the "bigger" it is. Cards are evaluated based on how powerful they are relative to their tier, and how specialized.
  • More variety in the Starter Deck, addressing one of the primary complaints, that gameplay is a bit dull in the beginning because of lack of variety and deck-building options.
  • Rebalanced campaign missions and rewards. Card rewards are more generous now. You'll receive new cards more often, opening up deck building options at a faster rate.
  • Tournament Mode added to SenseSim. Campaign missions unlock SenseSim Tournaments against varying AI difficulties, which you can play to earn extra credits outside the campaign missions. If you're finding a mission difficult to beat, play some Tournaments, earn some credits, and go buy more powerful cards in the Black Market before tackling that mission again!
  • 3 new Showcase Decks to try : Buff, Rush and Attrition! Take them for a spin against each other, or against the original 5 showcase decks! (Note, all Showcase decks have been moved to the Testing Helper campaign.)
  • Duels introduce the following 3 new mechanics : Starting Credit, Just Played Armor and Battlefield Conditions :

Starting Credit : Players now start with 1 instead of 0 credits, which speeds up the first few turns play.

Just Played Armor : Agents that have just been played onto the battlefield have a bonus point of Armor, until their next turn only, which lessens the advantage of getting an Agent into a lane first. It's still an advantage, but the weakening of this effect has a subtle but widespread effect on balance.

Battlefield Conditions : Campaign missions can now specify Battlefield Conditions, introducing bonuses, penalties or special conditions for one or both players. This changes up how missions play, introducing new challenges to overcome. How will your deck fare if your enemy is playing with an automatic boost to their Agents' attack, or if you have only 10 turns to win the duel? Good luck, have fun!

• New missions and flavour text!
  • Significant AI improvements. No days of the AI hurling Agent after Agent fruitlessly against Wei Lee are over! Also, AI decks have hint tags, allowing you to adjust the AI's priorities in play. An AI playing an Aggressive or Rush deck will prioritize scoring OP rapidly, whereas a defensive deck, such as the Hacker deck, will prioritize blocking your Agents, giving its hacking cards time to work.
  • New Player Avatars
  • Music track playback shuffling
  • 9 brand new pieces of card art!

All this done while holding down a day job again. Sleep, what is that? Wink

Anyway, grab the build, if you're so inclined, and take it for a spin. If you want to test the new Showcase Decks, please start a new profile, go to campaigns, and select the Testing Helper campaign. This will unlock every card, all the Showcase decks, and give you 10 million credits. Enough to try out any deck build you can envision, and pit any of your creations against the AI in SenseSim. But please, do try the campaign. I'm eager to hear your feedback on the changes! Grin

Cheers!

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 09:32:08 am »

Awesome! Grabbing now! Salute

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:44:28 am »

Great to see the progress report! I keep DLing the game and not carving out enough time to play it, but I just DLed it again - maybe I can make this time be different.  Grin
Dickie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:27:16 pm »

I was confused when I first read you'd start with 1 credit instead of 0 credits, since I remember cards costing a lot of credits to buy and then I realized you meant the credits during a match. Any chance of using two different words? It's a minor thing, really.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:49:54 pm »

Downloading. Quite a bit of progress I see. Hope to check it out soon.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Fault_and_Fracture
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 03:35:49 pm »

Just played the first campaign match, and I have to say, it was really good. It was tense and challenging with substantially more variety already evident than what was in the last beta. Really looking forward to the full version of the game.

The only thing I would recommend -- and this may be in the game and I just missed it as an option -- is to add a way to "blow-up" (i.e. increase the size of) the card descriptions. I tend to play slower-paced games like this windowed with a lower resolution, and I found the descriptions a bit hard to read on lower resolutions (800x600) although everything else in the game appeared to be totally readable at the same 800x600 resolution.

Overall though, really good job!
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 04:03:47 am »

Thanks everyone!

Fault_and_Fracture - Glad you enjoyed! Yeah, agreed, I'll look at adding some way to better see the card descriptions.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Nazarene
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 07:15:08 am »

I've been playing the first SC campaign the last couple of days. I really like the setting and the atmosphere it generates. My current mission is Lending a Hand 2. The enemies are tough, I have to replay individual fights a lot until I meet the objective. I don' mind that, only sometimes it get's a bit frustrating. A lot depends on the starting hand and whether or not you can "spam" more units than the enemy in the first couple of turns.

What I really miss: A retry button, where you can start the match with the same deck without having to return to the map screen and all the flavor texts.

These are my impressions for now  Approve

gotta get some action... now!
MaximillionMiles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 12:22:14 am »

Hey, Gareth. Congrats on the update. Things are looking good.

Sorry I haven't playtested this yet. I have a lot on my plate right now, so my feedback will have to be much more piecemeal than before.

Anyways. Played a bit with the campaign and the basic decks. Haven't made any decks (yet) but have already started thinking of the possibilities. Some interesting effects there. But first the campaign:

The campaign fights are much more varied and unpredictable, which is good. They were also somewhat difficult, yes. especially against the neonmongers, surprisingly. Their rushy deck was pretty strong against your starter deck, especially if they manage to buff one of the Neonmongers up to 7 or 9 of power. The 1 armor in the beginning is nice, but doesn't stop an ultra-buffed unit from one-hitting enemies. Although I like the new mechanics, and think the problem is rather with the attack booster items, yet again. The K-lancer shotgun costs 4, and gives a +4 to attack, while the D-Blaster pistol costs 1 and gives +2, or aggro costs 2 and gives +4 at a -2 regen cost (which is quite beneficial, save in some situations). When playing with the big, multi-option decks this is not as much of a problem, because there +2 or +4 to attack is not such a big game changer. In the beginning of the game though, when your choice of cards is limited, it makes a big impact.

So far I still had plenty of fun though, and just defeated the data vault guards, with a bit of luck. My success rate is about 50% of the matches so far.

Some thoughts about decks and their cards:

- Hacking is still the most powerful deck of the selection, and the reason is one measly card: smoke bomb. With smoke bomb I get to laugh at my enemy while gleefully raking in the OP, and not rushing nor big stompy mechs are of much use there. I still maintain it to be a very OP card, when in conjunction with hacking. Only the resource denial deck gave me any trouble, and even then, it's a hit and miss deck.

- Talking about smoke bomb... Another great card is Declan. It is ridiculously useful for getting yourself out of jams , getting that useful card in your hand (like a smoke bomb, for example) and turning the game. This is no exaggeration. But I really like the concept of Declan's ability, so don't take that away. Just a small rebalancing of the card (cost, or attack, something like that) and it can be perfectly viable and balanced. It might even be balanced as is... In a deck without smoke bomb and hacking. More research pending...

-Electronet, on the other hand, feels just right now. Interesting card, and worthwhile without being overpowered or underwhelming. Good job with that.

- The cards that are immune to events are a nice idea, and with the myrmidon added, as well as the more balanced game rules, assassination is not as powerful as it was. Which is a good thing, so I agree there. And assassination or similar cards are still useful, especially against buff decks.

-The buff is quite fun, and they can quickly become more powerful than a resource boost deck, with much less time. Their big vulnerability is assassination though, which stops them from being overpowered.

-Talking about mechs, they are much more viable now, with this faster and more balanced version of the game. They feel really worth their while, as do the more costly cards. Late game has become more important, thanks to your changes making agents a little more tanky while making resources less of an issue. Or at least that's what I think. I certainly had the impression that expensive cards were being used much more now.

- Jessica Razor needs... Something. Right now she is like Neonmonger, but not limitless. In other words, worse than Neonmonger. That's bad. It doesn't help that her special ability helps the enemy as much as you, or even more sometimes (when the enemy has few cards, while you have many). I get that she is supposed to be a weak card. Rashard is an example of a weak card done right. Jessica just sucks. She screams "get me off your deck".

Keep in mind all are preliminary suggestions. I haven't played the game long enough to figure everything out, and it's quite likely I'll change my mind after a few more plays, as HAS happened before when I was playtesting this game. But don't ask me when that will be. Technically I am not even supposed to be playing your game.  Roll Eyes

Time well spent though.Cheers!  Grin
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 11:00:22 am »

Thanks for the feedback, sorry for the late response, had a lot going on IRL the last few weeks.

You're absolutely right, Max, I made the starting battles too hard in this iteration. And you've nailed the cause of it, I threw in some buff cards I shouldn't have.

Hacking is still the most powerful deck of the selection, and the reason is one measly card: smoke bomb. With smoke bomb I get to laugh at my enemy while gleefully raking in the OP, and not rushing nor big stompy mechs are of much use there. I still maintain it to be a very OP card, when in conjunction with hacking. Only the resource denial deck gave me any trouble, and even then, it's a hit and miss deck.

Indeed. In the next iteration, instead of paralyzing all Agents, Smoke Grenade will inflict a -3 attack penalty to all Agents, stackable. It's still useful for clamping down on combat damage long enough to get in a win, but your opponent isn't completely helpless, especially if they can pull out some big stomping agents.

I've also made broad changes to counter-hacking cards, they're now more generally useful for all decks, so counter-hacking should be more viable. You can read about that on my blog.

-Electronet, on the other hand, feels just right now. Interesting card, and worthwhile without being overpowered or underwhelming. Good job with that.

- The cards that are immune to events are a nice idea, and with the myrmidon added, as well as the more balanced game rules, assassination is not as powerful as it was. Which is a good thing, so I agree there. And assassination or similar cards are still useful, especially against buff decks.

-The buff is quite fun, and they can quickly become more powerful than a resource boost deck, with much less time. Their big vulnerability is assassination though, which stops them from being overpowered.

-Talking about mechs, they are much more viable now, with this faster and more balanced version of the game. They feel really worth their while, as do the more costly cards. Late game has become more important, thanks to your changes making agents a little more tanky while making resources less of an issue. Or at least that's what I think. I certainly had the impression that expensive cards were being used much more now.

Approve

- Jessica Razor needs... Something. Right now she is like Neonmonger, but not limitless. In other words, worse than Neonmonger. That's bad. It doesn't help that her special ability helps the enemy as much as you, or even more sometimes (when the enemy has few cards, while you have many). I get that she is supposed to be a weak card. Rashard is an example of a weak card done right. Jessica just sucks. She screams "get me off your deck".

Mmm, Jessica is actually a staple in many of my decks. I know her ability seems to help the enemy as much as you, but it depends on your deck strategy. For quick/cheap decks, or decks with resource boosts, you cycle cards into play faster than your opponent, and you gain more of an advantage from Jessica's ability than your opponent does, unless they're also playing a quick deck. Getting more cards benefits both of you, but the right deck build can better take advantage of that benefit.

Keep in mind all are preliminary suggestions. I haven't played the game long enough to figure everything out, and it's quite likely I'll change my mind after a few more plays, as HAS happened before when I was playtesting this game. But don't ask me when that will be. Technically I am not even supposed to be playing your game.  Roll Eyes

Time well spent though.Cheers!  Grin

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it!

@Nazarene : Thanks for the feedback, and agreed about the difficulty. I'll see what I can do about adding in a retry button. Smile

My blog
Alena
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 06:10:17 am »

I was told in an email by CRE that CAD would be released as soon as beta teams received their parts. So....yeah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: