Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: More Info on PAX Demo  (Read 9760 times)
Brian

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:10:28 pm »

Right here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70755535/dead-state-the-zombie-survival-rpg/posts/578777
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:33:45 pm »

Amazing update, so many new pictures!  Grin

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:38:44 pm »

Caidoz, are you going to take care of the wiki with the new pics?

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 11:13:40 pm »

Yeah, I'll update it with the new images tonight.  I already updated the Allies page earlier today and added the Rat to the food items page.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
BadVoodoo
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 01:25:06 am »

Home Invasion
(click to show/hide)

First impression i got from looking at that screenshot was "Oh look a battle." It was only after i read the link name i realized the shelter leader, the guy your going to be playing as, was actually breaking into someones home. I just imagined some poor guy surviving all the chaos and hunkering in the corner of his house, then here comes a group of survivors who break into his fortification and to murder him for his stuff. His only protection is a cheap walmart shotgun that he brought when he had some extra cash, still doesn't even know how to disassemble it. Poor bastard.

Of course i could be wrong because the screenshot before that said "somebodies not happy to see us" so he might have fired first, go figure. But if this is how it went down its pretty fucked up if you asked me. *in a good way*
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:27:04 am by BadVoodoo » Logged

"Twelve hours of work and I still can't sleep. Damn. Days go on and on. They don't end."
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:37:31 am »

I don't think the player character is represented in the screenshots, actually.  I could be wrong, but it seems like those were all allies.  Brian we know is a sub-leader from the combat demo video, and we know that Joel and Anita (Renee's mother) are ally characters as well.

Of course the point stands that the player controlled party is breaking into someone's house.  It's interesting to think of the kinds of situations that led to that scenario; are they that desperate for supplies or did they track an enemy to his home?  The picture of the outside of the house makes it look like a car pulled up to the house suddenly, as if someone was running inside.

(click to show/hide)

elloco999
Dead State Private Testers

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 06:10:48 am »

Home Invasion
(click to show/hide)

First impression i got from looking at that screenshot was "Oh look a battle." It was only after i read the link name i realized the shelter leader, the guy your going to be playing as, was actually breaking into someones home. I just imagined some poor guy surviving all the chaos and hunkering in the corner of his house, then here comes a group of survivors who break into his fortification and to murder him for his stuff. His only protection is a cheap walmart shotgun that he brought when he had some extra cash, still doesn't even know how to disassemble it. Poor bastard.

Of course i could be wrong because the screenshot before that said "somebodies not happy to see us" so he might have fired first, go figure. But if this is how it went down its pretty fucked up if you asked me. *in a good way*

Actually, I think the "Somebody is not happy to see us" line is for this screenshot.

If that other screenshot is indeed the same house, it is rather likely the driver of that car has barricaded himself in someone's house. Still, the situation you describe could very well happen of course... But you wouldn't have to kill him, if he wants to you could let him join you or simple leave. That's how I plan on playing. But if he is aggressive and attacks you first, that's not an option anymore.
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 08:18:11 am »

Yeah, I'll update it with the new images tonight.  I already updated the Allies page earlier today and added the Rat to the food items page.

Thanks.  I don't want to have all the fun.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 08:21:18 am »

I don't think the player character is represented in the screenshots, actually.  I could be wrong, but it seems like those were all allies.  Brian we know is a sub-leader from the combat demo video, and we know that Joel and Anita (Renee's mother) are ally characters as well.

However the info we have is that the PC has to be with the away party.  Of course they could have changed that for testing.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 11:38:55 am »

However the info we have is that the PC has to be with the away party.  Of course they could have changed that for testing.

"Brian" is the current PC character. And the guy in black shirt is the "hostile survivor".

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Torgue
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 01:08:56 pm »

I assume that Austin represents the City areas?
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 01:17:01 pm »

Well, there are a lot of towns and cities in the area defined by the map, but I think when we're talking about The City from the Kickstarter stretch goal, that is referring to Austin.  It would make sense, too, because The City areas are going to be on the outskirts of a city, and since Austin is the state capital it would presumably be very hazardous towards the center.

Brian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 02:16:37 pm »

I just wanted to respond to everyone asking about why we're showing the demo at PAX and not releasing it to backers or pre-order folks right now. Just so everyone knows, it's more of a scheduling issue than anything else.

-There will be a video of the demo released after PAX
We don't have the time to put up a completely narrated thirty minute video right now, but we will put together a video of the demo after PAX. Most likely, there will be plenty of footage of the demo out there during and after PAX too. PAX prep is taking up a lot of our time right now - it was always our intention to do one public showing to do some publicity for the game, but just PAX because it's in Seattle and we don't have the time or budget to do more than one convention. We don't do press often, so this was the easiest way for us to do a lot of press at once.

-Releasing a demo as a consumer product requires a lot more work than showing it off ourselves

Showing off a demo and releasing a consumer version are two entirely different projects. When we show it off, we're there to guide players through the demo, answer questions, explain controls or systems, and take care of any technical issues if they arise. Releasing it to the public requires us to remove non-essential files from the build, add in more tutorial text, thoroughly test our release candidate, and finally, figure out a distribution method.

-We will eventually release the demo, though we wanted to add some more polish and features to it first

We've been talking internally about releasing the demo at some point, however, we would like to add in additional features and polish to release a expanded PAX demo that offers a more finalized version of the game. There are a few elements of the demo that we simplified to make it easier and faster to show, which we would prefer to add back in for a consumer version. We've also received a lot of team feedback that we would like to address to make the demo experience smoother, especially when we're not around to explain work in progress issues.

-We need to make time in our schedule to put out a demo release.

To release a consumer version of the demo, it needs to be treated like any release and that's going to require fitting the consumer demo into our schedule somewhere. It will need to be a separate branch of the build that contains just the parts of the game relating to the demo. That's something we have slotted closer to Beta on the schedule, but we'll need to determine the best time to get that done. I know everyone who backed it wants to play the demo, so please be patient with us. Getting the actual game out is our top priority, but we'll do what we can to get a demo out there for you.
melkathi
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 09:14:54 pm »

While a demo may help bring in new customers, as a backer I don't need a demo - I am allready interested and commited to the project.
Greyman
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 04:47:05 pm »

Well, there are a lot of towns and cities in the area defined by the map, but I think when we're talking about The City from the Kickstarter stretch goal, that is referring to Austin.  It would make sense, too, because The City areas are going to be on the outskirts of a city, and since Austin is the state capital it would presumably be very hazardous towards the center.

I thought Dead State was set in West Texas, not East?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: