Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Save Slots or Save Game systems  (Read 5367 times)
Addai
Neophyte

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:51:56 am »

Hi there! I've been really looking forward to this game being a big Zombie genre fan and a fan of the old RPGs like Fallout.

One issue I have with games is the save game system.   A few years back, I got my wife into computer games, and she likes a lot of the same ones I do.  That usually a good thing gives extra stuff to talk about and you can get some good advice and insight to a problem you find in game.    However some games are constructed in a way that you cannot have two people playing a game simultaneously very well (You can end up saving over someones game and can have trouble telling the saves apart).   So I'm hoping this game allows for you to save by character or at least gives you some game slots that you can specifically label.   And not simply has game saves tagged by time and date etc.

Thanks!
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:25:35 am »

Hi there! I've been really looking forward to this game being a big Zombie genre fan and a fan of the old RPGs like Fallout.

One issue I have with games is the save game system.   A few years back, I got my wife into computer games, and she likes a lot of the same ones I do.  That usually a good thing gives extra stuff to talk about and you can get some good advice and insight to a problem you find in game.    However some games are constructed in a way that you cannot have two people playing a game simultaneously very well (You can end up saving over someones game and can have trouble telling the saves apart).   So I'm hoping this game allows for you to save by character or at least gives you some game slots that you can specifically label.   And not simply has game saves tagged by time and date etc.

Thanks!

I don't know if the regular save system will allow for naming the saves, but hopefully it will.  Since this is a pc and not a console game, there shouldn't be a reason why it can't.  Usually games that don't allow it are console ports.

However ironman mode would be a problem I think since it just has one save.  Since I like to save when I want, I usually don't play iron man mode in games.  I guess they could have a "player login" type system so you could tell the game who you are.

A question for proponents of ironman mode; typically how do two people play the same game in iron man mode, or is it not possible?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:28:27 am by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
Niektory

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:47:15 am »

A question for proponents of ironman mode; typically how do two people play the same game in iron man mode, or is it not possible?
Here's how it works in Expeditions: Conquistador: http://niektory.republika.pl/conqironman.jpg
You can see 2 iron man games (automatically named after the player character's name) and a bunch of normal saves (named by the player) below them.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:16:42 pm »

You will be able to name saves. We didn't look into ironman saves yet, but we'll keep these situations you described in mind.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Addai
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:58:41 pm »

Thanks everyone that sounds good.    Smile
Kitsum
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:22:49 pm »

Couldn't each character have their own save game list?

For instance:

Adam: All saves that has to do with him is accessed by choosing him.
Beth: All saves that has to do with her is accessed by choosing her.
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 03:27:49 pm »

Couldn't each character have their own save game list?

For instance:

Adam: All saves that has to do with him is accessed by choosing him.
Beth: All saves that has to do with her is accessed by choosing her.

That is what I was trying to suggest with the "player login".  I've seen some games do it that way.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
elloco999
Dead State Private Testers

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 04:27:55 am »

Personally, I don't feel the need to filter the savegames list on character, as long as I can name my saves myself. If I'm playing with character Adam and I want to save I always call the save "Adam - something",  so I can always find the saves for a specific character. Also filtering automatically based on the current character would prevent you from easily continuing with another character if you would want to do so. Say your playing with Adam but feel like playing with Beth, you'd have to go back to the main menu, select Beth and then load one of her saves, instead of just selecting "Beth - ...." and be done with it.

For the ironman saves it is a completely different story of course, since you only have one save and don't get to chose when you save. So yes, for ironman mode it would be nice to have the save linked to the specific character so you can have more then one ironman character on the same machine.

Some things I would like to see in the save system:
* Show save games in reverse chronologically order (last save at the top of the list)
* Auto generate the name for the savegame ("player character name - ingame date time" or something like that) when the player saves, but let the player change it if he wants to.
   I'm assuming here we can name our player character.
* Auto save that saves every so often (at the start of a new ingame day or something, or maybe make it a setting the player can change)
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:18:44 am »

I like elloco's suggestions, except AutoSave.  I personally don't like AutoSaves cluttering up the database, but maybe they could be disabled by the user?

One thing that severely irritates me is the double confirmation for overwriting a save game.  If I select an existing save file, and click 'Save', then yes indeed I want to overwrite it.  I don't need another dialogue box asking me if I want to overwrite it.  I've only ever seen this a couple of times, but changing the text on the save button to 'overwrite' when you have a file already selected is an elegant way to handle this.

Last thing:  if there end up being difficult settings of any kind, please separate Iron Man saving from Iron Man or extreme difficulty, so that I can play in normal mode with the no-save option (or in difficult mode with saving allowed) if I want to.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
elloco999
Dead State Private Testers

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 02:58:48 am »

Those are some great suggestion as well Scott. Changing the "Save" button to "Overwrite" is very elegant indeed!

About the autosave, it would indeed be nice to have the option to enable/ disable it. Also setting the number of autosavegames  to be kept (1 or 2 is enough for me, I only want them in case my something like a PC crash happens. Very annoying if you've been playing for a couple of hours and there is a crash to desktop and all you progress is gone...)

I think it was Civilization IV (but I may be mistaken) where they implemented a very nice feature in the load screen: autosaves are not shown by default, but you can check a checkbox to show them. That way they are out of the way when you don't want them (almost always) and you can easily get to them when you want to.
Kide
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 10:26:07 am »

With the iron man save game thing I would personally say that for example Wizardry 8 I think handles iron man games and saves quite nicely.

There is of course only one save file for the irom man game, but you could first of all select any difficulty you would want, and then just choose if you wanted to play it also then with iron man mode or not.

And in the start the game ask's you to name this iron man save game whatever way you want to, so if you want to name it with some certan charachter first and then to add something else like the "Adela - the great adventure" you could do that, and that iron man game would then always be saved in that slot.

Probably this came to mind now so easily becuse have been playing that game on iron man right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: