Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of Decadence (Moderator: Vahha)Need some lines - any help?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Need some lines - any help?  (Read 22671 times)
Ergil
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 11:48:03 am »

- You learned not to pick your nose in front of others.
lol That one's funny. I tried to make my own version of etiquette a little different, however. Basically, as different greetings that get more elaborate and humble as they go. Not sure if it work though. Opinions?

Ettiquete

1-   “Heya, Mister Empreror! How’s it hanging?”
2-   “Why all these fancy words? I can’t even get what you’re saying!”
3-   “Oops! I forgot to bow.”
4-   “Greetings, Lord, and thank you for your time”
5-   “I am honored by your presence and attention, my Lord.”
6-   “I beg your pardon for my intrusion, my Lord, and hope the value of my words will earn your forgiveness.”
7-   “My humble greetings to you, my Lord. I bow beneath your might and humbly request but a moment of your attention”
8-   “As the sages say, “Wise is the emperor who listens even to the barking of dogs, for he will always know when danger approaches.” With this in mind, will you grant me audience, your Lordship?”
9-   “Your Lordship, may your walk eternally among the glory of your works. This servant, who is not fit to walk in your shadow, in his infinite weakness, requests your words and your wisdom.”
10-   “Your most August Lordship, I am unworthy of such a kind gift as your attention. And if I accept this gift, it is for no reason other than I am certain that I shall use it only to benefit you and your cause further.”

I don't think etiquette is the same as sucking up. Isn't it supposed to mean "how to behave in polite society"? That does include sucking up on occasion, but also stuff like table manners, dress code, maybe even knowing how to waltz. Plus the last three sentences seem way exaggerated, even for a nobody like the PC at the beginning of the game, and certainly later on when the PC has (presumably) acquired some influence and recognition.
MaximillionMiles

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 01:02:03 pm »

-snip-

I don't think etiquette is the same as sucking up. Isn't it supposed to mean "how to behave in polite society"? That does include sucking up on occasion, but also stuff like table manners, dress code, maybe even knowing how to waltz. Plus the last three sentences seem way exaggerated, even for a nobody like the PC at the beginning of the game, and certainly later on when the PC has (presumably) acquired some influence and recognition.

Depending on the context, place or culture, ettiquete could vary wildly from never turning your back from royalty, to always taking a small sip from your cup before passing it on, to prostrating yourself and speaking only in a ridiculously humble form. The last was especially common in  China, Korea and Japan, where there is almost a different language for speaking to your superiors. This kind of speech, even that seen at number 10, was not seen as sucking up, but instead was seen as normal in certain cultures/ages for a low-born addressing royalty.

Of course, I have no idea what is the code of conduct in AoD's world.

Anyways, it was merely supposed to be examples. Nothing to split hairs. If there are many others who dislike it they can give suggestions to improve my work, or make a new list. No hard feelings.  Wink
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »

I don't think etiquette is the same as sucking up. Isn't it supposed to mean "how to behave in polite society"?
Correct. The best analogy would be approaching a bureaucrat with a bribe. You have to know how these things are done, what protocol is, and how to give the money to the scumbag without implying that he is, in fact, a scumbag.

An in-game example:

“Your master gives me too much credit. What does he wish to know?”
1. “Lord Gaelius’ days are numbered. Will you support lord Serenas as his successor?”
2. [etiquette] “Since Lord Gaelius doesn’t have an heir, my master can’t help but wonder if lord Serenas would make a suitable replacement, should something were to happen to Lord Gaelius.”

Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2013, 11:53:39 pm »

Does anyone else think "should something were to happen" sounds a bit clunky? Wouldn't "should something happen" or "if something were to happen" be better?

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2013, 02:16:52 am »

Probably too late to the party, but here's an attempt anyway:

Lockpick

1 - If it's locked, that means you're not supposed to open it, right?
2 - If one doesn't have the key, one could use the spare key!
3 - Your cousin told you how he used a rusty nail to break into the barn once. He is awesome!
4 - You managed to break into the bathroom door once.
5 - Simple locks are not that secure, given a lot of time and some tools.
6 - Once you know the layout of most locks, there is a way to pick them.
7 - Ah! You learned a number of great tricks and got some professional tools. It helps so much.
8 - There is hardly a lock you don't know how to break. In theory.
9 - Locks? A minor inconvenience. You'll ge in, you'll get out, and nobody will even know how.
10 - The only lock you can not defeat is one you design yourself.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:19:24 am by GhanBuriGhan » Logged

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 04:42:45 am »

Disguise:

1 - Disguise? Thats what fools do during carnival!
2 - The neighbors children really liked it when you played the bear for them.
3 - You realize that sometimes changing the way you present yourself can get you things.
4 - A little acting can go a long way to convince people.
5 - It's surprising how easy it is to fool people that aren't paying attention.
6 - You realize it's not really the disguise, it's posture, voice, confidence!
7 - Be it a beggar or a king, you can act it. But it's still acting.
8 - It's an art. A very useful art once you know how.
9 - You could fool your own mother, if you have time to prepare.
10 - Being anyone, anytime, anywhere - that is true freedom.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 07:34:34 am »

Coffee-break:

Crossbow:

1 - Why would you put a cross on a bow? Bows are perfectly fine the way they are!
2 - Why use something that's so slow to reload!
3 - Aim in the general direction and pull the trigger? Got it!
4 - There is power in this weapon, if you could only hold it steady...
5 - Align the sights, breathe out, fire!
6 - You've become quite good with the practice target. Now if only real targets wouldn't move!
7 - Practice has paid off, you hit what you want to hit, most of the time.
8 - Known for your keen eye, you are often asked for advice on this weapon.
9 - Few match your mastery - balance, keen sight, concentration, all must be in harmony.
10 - You are a legend with the crossbow, people believe you can even shoot it around corners.

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 09:49:48 am »

Awesome descriptions, Ghan. Especially love the disguise ones!

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
ERYFKRAD
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 09:50:45 am »

Okey, let's see-

Etiquette-
1. Subtlety to you is a hammer to the head. A small one, though.
2. You see the sense in making a threat without waving it in someone's face. In practice, however.
3. You can make subtle hints, emphasized with a wink and a nudge.
4. You can barely fill a form now.
5. You find yourself capable of getting an appointment with officials. It's a  start.
6. Sure it's a bribe. But when you put it like that, it's hard to say no.
7. To say your mind, and yet offend no one. Quite a feat.
8. You are eminently reasonable, and curiously persuasive.
9. What gravity, what regality, what grace, what august bearing! Majestic.
10. You are nearly mistaken for royalty these days. It is whispered that you are descended of the rulers of long ago.
Gasiass
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2013, 10:04:17 am »

It seems evident how much an amount in a skill is worth.  The accuracy of the opponent and evasiveness shows how much that much in a skill is how much was put in to it - or came out of it, where reputation precedes display.  The aptitude of a tailor, a peasant, and a street scrounger show how much the amount they honed their way with the particular style.  Likewise in magnitude, the capacity in other skills shows how much their honing of that application has preceded.  The starting stats are about that of embarker on a means.  It seems as though there should be more points, so a greater amount can be put in skills other than combat, so a master sneaker needs 75 points, like a master swordsman needs 75 points.  So an devoted weapon wielder would have an dismal time getting by doing much else, as an entirely gentile type would have a haranguing time getting through many oncoming situations.   As a system note, refined practices could have a roll in reducing the difficulty of fights, as with poisoning the gaurds to the outpost.  The guy who charges into a mass of opponents by himself is either ridiculously talented, or not good at much else.

For continuation of the system (in particular for lore):
11. "What do you mean!?!  I already said I was the best!  And what do you mean I have to pay for that ale; it's a Q'antaari demon manifested in there by a great expulsion of the cosmos to accentuate the importance of this situation!

For dodge, I skipped to the last one, but I'm not so sure about the side note, after those other things you tried to do to me.
You could put it another way.
Dodge
1. I prefer using my head as my primary implement of impact.
2. I like to try to choke my opponent on my blood.

The recurring issue: role of stealth, and love of beans.
ERYFKRAD
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2013, 09:59:16 pm »

Oh, I got one more.

Block:
1. You can effectively block any blow. As long as there is a building between you and the other guy.
2. You have mastered the art of using shields to stay dry when it's raining.
3. You've learnt to put the shield on front of you. You wonder how you missed that before.
4. You've realised that a shield is not a wall, and you need to move it about every now and then to stay alive.
5. While your blocking is passable, axemen will wreck you. Bring spares.
6. Projectiles have a harder time hitting you. No cutlery/crockery was harmed during practice.
7. You're getting better at positioning your shield to lessen the impact of blows. Your shields last longer.
8. You use your shields so well that blows are more likely to glance off harmlessly.
9. You're especially competent at using your shield to bash people around. Defense is the best offense.
10. A shield IS a wall between you and the enemy. One they cannot get around.
UniversalWolf
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2013, 03:36:59 pm »

Etiquette, from 1 to 10:

You fart, then laugh.
You wipe your nose with your sleeve.
There are grease stains on your shirt.
Typical stable boys regard you as an equal.
Your manners are suitable to common intercourse.
Priests and merchants find you a boon dining companion.
Well-bred town maidens find little to criticize in your demeanor.
Upon greeting a landed equestrian, it is proper to doff your cap so.
You move among society's wealthy elite without embarrassment.
You confidently participate in the most esoteric social rituals.

Streetwise, from 1 to 10:

Oh, excuse me.  Wait!  Where's my wallet?
You are a rube.
Grifters instantly spot you as a mark.
You keep lending things to people who never return them.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
People have to earn your trust.
You're quite capable of recognizing a gullible fool.
You can smell a con from a mile away.
People give you things and think it was their own idea.
Your mind facilely weaves multiple schemes into an elegant tapestry.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 04:04:23 pm by UniversalWolf » Logged
Brandon

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2013, 10:07:56 pm »

... you get the same SP for quests and use them to buy skill ranks (similar to Bloodlines)...

All skills start at 1 and then each next level costs more skill points: 5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40-45, which brings the total costs to 5-15-30-50-75-105-140-180-225.

If I'm reading into this correctly, won't that encourage multiclass/jack-of-all-trades type characters more than R3?  (At least in early game?) Not saying that's bad, just trying to understand the new mechanics - I actually think that could be very positive if true.
Gauntt
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2013, 10:54:07 pm »

I think it will encourage people to spend points on more varied skills. To get to lvl 10 in anything you are going to have to be disciplined and save those point up not spending them on anything else. There is going to be a lot of temptation when you fail a lockpick check or something to add points to it.

But that is what it takes to be a grand master. Ignore other areas focus on the one thing. I think this will be a really good improvement.
Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2013, 12:53:35 am »

I'm positive it will encourage more versatile characters and I like it.

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: