Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Tour Around Teron  (Read 90313 times)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »

While Vince and Nick are busy with other stuff, I decided to take Titus for a stroll and decorate Teron a little more. I want to show you some screenshots of the place, and you can tell me what you think about them and how they can be improved. Before you ask, I removed the NPCs so they wouldn't distract, and to allow you to get a better feeling of the area itself.

Titus ouside the Assassins Guild HQ.

The merchant's plaza.

The Imperial Guards barracks.

Now we are going to the gate district.

Titus outside the tavern.

Teron's Gate

Some outcast dwellings.

Finally, we arrive at the palace district.

The entrance to Daratan's Compound.

Daratan's Guard training yard.

Some houses in the district.

Let's travel a bit outside Teron.

The bandits camp.

Some houses interiors.

Gate District - Poor Houses

Gate District - Not So Poor Houses

Barracks District - "Middle Class" Houses

And to end our tour around Teron, some noble houses from the Palace District.

I hope that you enjoyed it!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:45:37 PM by Oscar » Logged

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
DangerousDan
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »

Interesting stuff, Oskar. Lovely art direction as always. Imperial Guard barracks could do with it's texture being fine turned a little bit, but that could be a resolution issue with the game itself.

Otherwise, looking great.

History, that is, the unconscious, swarmlike life of mankind, uses every moment of a king's life as an intrument for its purposes. Kings are the slaves of history.
-Leo Tolstoy
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:57:17 PM »

Thanks. Do you like the feeling they convey?

Ander Vinz
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »

Very impressive texturing. Too bad it gets corrupted by the engine sometimes.

Pastel: "PS:T had rat diplomacy - although the buggers would betray you, I think. Rotten, filthy creatures."
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »

Thank you. Smile

Yeah, the mipmaps blur the textures quite a bit... But what do you think of the object placement and decoration?

luckyb0y
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 04:22:39 PM »

hard to tell anything from the shitty small screen i'm viewing them on, but i have to tell that from what i can see it looks great. But i guess you didn't come for praise so here goes:
1. Buildings look a bit too dark. It evokes somewhat medieval feel i don't think you are aiming for. What i mean is using consistent colour palette can be invaluable in establishing the proper atmosphere. Compare fallout and arcanum. The first uses brown/yellowish tint in all locations while the other goes for rather eclectic mix of colours. Don't think i need to tell which in my opinion works better.
2. Some crates, barrels, a cart maybe? Might be to hard a hit on the frame rate and lots of additional work.
3. The string on a ballista looks wierd, more like a wire. Shouldn't it be just connecting the ends in a straight line? Like in a crossbow?

Sorry if it seems nitpicky. These are all minor issues that don't really matter. Good job as always. I guess there is just one thing left to say.

MOAR!

ninjelephant
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »

Great work..
Here are some thoughts.

pic #1: Textures awesome, that green stuff on walls looks great.
Only thing that bothers me are the benches..they look kinda out of place. Its ok if they are broken and all that but maybe it would look better if they weren't randomly placed like that. Kinda makes no sense (to me:)
EDIT: Just noticed the statue in the middle. Its ok if its not epic but it looks rather small, at least from this angle.

pic #2: First, bad english and too lazy to look up the translation.. those green/blue/red 'things' at first looked really weird, but after a few seconds they looked good, actually really good Grin All ok with pic 2  Wink

pic #3: About ballista I guess its not loaded so the rope is actually loose. Really does look weird on pic but its probably good in-game. Give it another look. Another thing...isn't that window a little too small for ballista to fire efficiently :/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:59:48 PM by ninjelephant » Logged

I used to do drugs..
I still do, but I used to too.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 05:06:26 PM »

They look awesome. The Barracks lack character, but it's probably because of the lack of NPCs. I think. The rest of it, well, with ambient sounds it will surely be incredible to play in. Great settings Smile

Wendigo Design, by Tiago Sá
Sleet
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 05:13:40 PM »

Great scenes Oscar. Is there a night/day lighting? Just asking as I had to increase the contrast and brightness to really see the setting well for the assassin's area (unless that is on purpose) Wink

For the top of the barrack walls, they seem kind of bare (maybe it is just me). Maybe I am thinking more of medieval walls, was thinking they should have something more. Also, I assume the Guards keep them maintained? If not, perhaps some broken blocks or cracks..?

Is this fall/winter? Reason I am asking is the trees are leafless (Assassin's HQ). Unless they are dead? Or is it a viewing angle that crops them?

I like the different styles used in the market area - shows how (I assume) different cultures conquered by the Empire merged and all. (if not a spoiler, who is the statue of in the middle?)

Awesome work as always Oscar!
Look forward to seeing the bustling business of the market, the Imperial guards marching and training, and the stealthy assassins (well maybe we won't see them..) Smile
DangerousDan
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 05:39:38 PM »

Quite so, the third being my favourite thematically. The moss is a nice touch. The Assasin's guild is a nice touch, too. I imagine the Merchant's Bazaar will look slightly more alive when NPCs populate it.

History, that is, the unconscious, swarmlike life of mankind, uses every moment of a king's life as an intrument for its purposes. Kings are the slaves of history.
-Leo Tolstoy
luckyb0y
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 05:57:23 PM »

I've just noticed the cart in the second screen. Just disregard my earlier post altogether. I can't see shit on this screen.

star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 06:25:57 PM »

The ground texture in pic 1 looks too colorful, I think it's this weird brown that has too much red in it. Also, like ninja said, the benches look like someone tried really hard to make their placement look random and thus failed. Line them up a bit more with the walking ways and it should be fine. #2 is perfect (except for the blurry textures, which you apparently can't change), nice decoration and i can imagine the bustling atmosphere there. Number 3 is the weakest one for me, it looks empty and lifeless, and the very dominant ground texture is really bad.

Ok, might sound a bit too harsh overall, so let me say again I really like your work. Wink
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 06:31:34 PM »

hard to tell anything from the shitty small screen i'm viewing them on, but i have to tell that from what i can see it looks great. But i guess you didn't come for praise so here goes:
1. Buildings look a bit too dark. It evokes somewhat medieval feel i don't think you are aiming for. What i mean is using consistent colour palette can be invaluable in establishing the proper atmosphere. Compare fallout and arcanum. The first uses brown/yellowish tint in all locations while the other goes for rather eclectic mix of colours. Don't think i need to tell which in my opinion works better.

mmmm... First they look a little too dark because the sun is hitting them on the other side. Though I'll play around with the ambient color settings a little. I don't want it to be too bright, though, as this is not happy-roman-land. Smile

2. Some crates, barrels, a cart maybe? Might be to hard a hit on the frame rate and lots of additional work.

Yeah, the framerate can be an issue with many objects on screen. I have no problem with it, but I have a fairly good computer. So I try to keep as low as possible and don't overdo it.

3. The string on a ballista looks wierd, more like a wire. Shouldn't it be just connecting the ends in a straight line? Like in a crossbow?

What ninjelephant said, it's just loose Smile

Sorry if it seems nitpicky. These are all minor issues that don't really matter. Good job as always. I guess there is just one thing left to say.

MOAR!

That's the idea. Wink

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »

Great work..
Here are some thoughts.

pic #1: Textures awesome, that green stuff on walls looks great.
Only thing that bothers me are the benches..they look kinda out of place. Its ok if they are broken and all that but maybe it would look better if they weren't randomly placed like that. Kinda makes no sense (to me:)
EDIT: Just noticed the statue in the middle. Its ok if its not epic but it looks rather small, at least from this angle.

mmmm... They were very well aligned before, and I think I overdid the "randomness". I'll straight them up a little Smile

About the statue, notice that it's only half a statue. The other half in laying on the ground.

pic #2: First, bad english and too lazy to look up the translation.. those green/blue/red 'things' at first looked really weird, but after a few seconds they looked good, actually really good Grin All ok with pic 2  Wink

Yep, the canopies. That was cardtrick's idea, IIRC Smile

pic #3: About ballista I guess its not loaded so the rope is actually loose. Really does look weird on pic but its probably good in-game. Give it another look. Another thing...isn't that window a little too small for ballista to fire efficiently :/

Yeah, I think I'll make them a little bigger Smile

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 06:49:35 PM »

Great scenes Oscar. Is there a night/day lighting? Just asking as I had to increase the contrast and brightness to really see the setting well for the assassin's area (unless that is on purpose) Wink

No, there isn't a night/day cicle, but there is a night map for the barracks district.

For the top of the barrack walls, they seem kind of bare (maybe it is just me). Maybe I am thinking more of medieval walls, was thinking they should have something more. Also, I assume the Guards keep them maintained? If not, perhaps some broken blocks or cracks..?

Well, the guards are very orderly and their buildins are pretty well mantained, but I'll add some crack decals and make the top of the outer walls less plain.

Is this fall/winter? Reason I am asking is the trees are leafless (Assassin's HQ). Unless they are dead? Or is it a viewing angle that crops them?

Those trees are dead, like many trees inside the cities. Perhaps if more people cared about them, they will begin to thrive. But nobody cares about the trees in Teron.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: