Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGRogue Moon StudiosSystem Crash (Moderator: Gareth)The System Crash feedback thread
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The System Crash feedback thread  (Read 92103 times)
Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2013, 12:23:36 am »

From looking at the cards it seems like a special ability generally increases the cost of a unit by about 1C. For example Yakuza Soldier, Nem0, and CyberSec all cost 4C and have roughly the same fighting power as the 3C CorpSec. so by that logic Executive's fighting power should be a rough match with the Neonmonger. Droping his attack from 3 o 2 is exactly what I had in mind to achieve that.

For the doc, I was thinking about droping attack to 0. Then we get a 3C card that has 10 health and heals for 4 versus CorpSec which is a 3C card that has 8 health and does 4 damage. Then he'd be harmless on his own, but he would still grant a critical advantage to any other agents in play. Especially to hackers since they get to provide more OP.

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
Kimari
Neophyte

The Mongols will conquer all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2013, 02:14:21 am »

Mmmhhh, this talk about counter-hacking has got me thinking. Wouldn't it be much more useful if counter-hacking functioned in a different way? Say, instead of preventing x OP gained by hacking, it prevents x OP gained by any means? Of course, if you did this it would become kind of an overpowered card ... if you leave it at that. An option to nerf it would be to change the prevention system from being "per hack/attack" to being "per turn". In other words, a card with antihacking 5 would prevent a up to 5 enemy OPs gained in a single turn and that's it, it doesn't care how many sources there are or how many attacks.

That is my suggestion. I don't know if it breaks the feel of the antihacking cards, but I think it's a nice compromise between flexibility and power.

almondblight
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2013, 10:59:04 pm »

The other is that the thumbnails for the app in the "Recent Items" menu and the icons view (list) window on the Mac is screwed up, with random green elements. The icon on the desktop or in the dock is fine.

Both thumbnails are now fine after a computer restart. Not that it was much of a problem in the first place, but thought I'd mention it.
MaximillionMiles

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:24 pm »

Played a bit more and my fiance also played a bit. Surprisingly, she liked it. It's not her type of game and she doesn't know the first thing about cyberpunk, but still played about an hour and got up to the "lending a hand" missions with only minimal assistance from me. I explained her the rules and she won most of the games, although the security vault gave her some trouble (and was a tough battle for me as well, if I remember right).

She already had some previous experience with magic the gathering and other card games, but wasn't exactly following your game, waiting for its release or anything. To me that says you've got a pretty solid game. It's not only for the ITS forum people, or even for the cyberpunk audience alone. It even entertained my fiance, who is more into cosplaying and blowing bubbles in the park rather than hardcore gaming.

Take from that what you will.  Smile
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2013, 02:44:58 pm »

Hey guys, sorry about the lack of communication the last 2 weeks, been a bit consumed with RL changes. I explained it on my blog.

Anyway, onto more interesting things.  Smile

@almondblight

- Some more backgrounds for the card battle screen.

- A more mission debrief-y and less arcade-y screen after you finish a battle.

Both good ideas.

Both thumbnails are now fine after a computer restart. Not that it was much of a problem in the first place, but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks. I've had someone else report something similar, I'll see if I can figure it out. Odd.

@MaximillionMiles :

I feel what makes hacking decks so strong is mostly smoke grenade. If hacking deck draws it, they gain a big advantage against any deck that does not have counter-hacking. A cost increase or having it affect hacking as well might be in order.

Yeah. It does feel like it makes too much of a difference. I'm considering dropping the duration to 1 round, halving its effectiveness.

Counter hacking cards, while more effective than before, still feel too weak as well. Artemis costs 4 and gives countermeasures 2 for 3 turns. While the countermeasures 2 part is nice, it feels too weak for such a situational card. Assassination costs 3 and completely removes a hacker, while also being effective against other kinds of decks. Same goes for nuke, which costs 4. And if you compare it to Hexag0n it's not even funny. both last 3 turns and cost the same, one gives 4 OP/turn (useful no matter what situation) while Artemis is much more situational (only used when there are hacking cards involved, and only worth its price when there many sources of low-level hacking). If I had to choose between putting Artemis or Hexag0n in my deck, hexag0n would win, every time.

Anti-hacking cards fall in the same weird category as, say... EMP grenade. They're very effective in certain situations and utterly useless most of the time. You keep them in your deck as a precaution. Unfortunately, this usually leads to either drawing EMP grenade when there's not a mech in sight or being brutalized by the enemy's spider tank while all you're drawing is Neonmongers. To compensate for this factor, EMP is really effective when it works, bringing down an expensive unit in a fairly cost-effective way. Currently, counter-hacking doesn't feel quite as powerful.

The best solution, I find, would be increasing the timer on counter-hacking cards. Make them REALLY effective against hacking, enough so that having to occasionally draw it when fighting against Resource Boost is still worthwhile, just for the "Oomph factor" when you draw it against an enemy hacker deck. Having them last 5 rounds instead of 3 should be plenty.

TL;DR- the more situational a card is, the better it should be in that situation. Otherwise it loses against the more generic solutions anytime. This goes for when you do not know what kind of deck your opponent will use, of course.

Yeah. It's a bit awkward, tactically. I agree, the more situational a card is, the more powerful it should be when it affects that sitaution. Hacking is less situational than counter-hacking, gaining OP is always useful.

But, at the same time, if I make counter-hacking stronger, I'm concerned that it becomes an auto-win against hacking. Which means it's the kind of thing where you generally don't use it, except when facing hacking decks, and then you use it and easily win. Neither situation being particularly desirable, for me as a designer.

I'm considering Kimari's suggestion. Change the counter-hacking cards to simply being a kind of general OP armor, but lowering their power a bit. That way, they support a general turtler strategy, not just a specific counter vs hackers.

I might then change hacker Agents to have a sort of "armor penetration" vs these cards, rather than gaining OP directly as they do now. So they are a counter to heavy turtler decks.

It's kind of abstract how Agents score OP. In my mind, when they aren't directly in combat they're busting into server rooms and rifling through fileservers. So security programs reducing their OP scoring effectiveness makes sense.

What do you guys think?

Agreed there. Back Street Doctor feels a little strong. Not sure about the Executive.

If Executive needs a nerf, it's a slight one, in my opinion. Reducing its attack from 3 to 2 should be plenty. I admit its extra credits ability is really useful, especially early game. One favorite tactic of mine is to combine him and transfer credits to get the drop on the enemy credit-wise AND agent-placement-wise.

Back street doc is VERY useful and resilient. Much more useful than he initially seems On his own, the doc lasts 3 attacks by a spider-Tankl! Either increasing the cost or decreasing the good doctor's health, attack and/or healing abilities might make him more balanced.

Yeah, the Doc has been nerfed. In the next beta version he'll be a 2/10 who heals for 2. Still useful, especially with 2 Docs out, but not overpowering. (I gave an AI a deck with a bunch of docs, machine guns and nano-regens in the previous version and it was a nightmare. So nerfed Wink )

@Dragatus :

From looking at the cards it seems like a special ability generally increases the cost of a unit by about 1C. For example Yakuza Soldier, Nem0, and CyberSec all cost 4C and have roughly the same fighting power as the 3C CorpSec. so by that logic Executive's fighting power should be a rough match with the Neonmonger. Droping his attack from 3 o 2 is exactly what I had in mind to achieve that.

Well...sure. But at the same time, I do want some variation in card power. They shouldn't all even out. Executive, I haven't found to be overpowered. He's certainly very useful, but he doesn't survive that long.

About the doc, see above.

Played a bit more and my fiance also played a bit. Surprisingly, she liked it. It's not her type of game and she doesn't know the first thing about cyberpunk, but still played about an hour and got up to the "lending a hand" missions with only minimal assistance from me. I explained her the rules and she won most of the games, although the security vault gave her some trouble (and was a tough battle for me as well, if I remember right).

She already had some previous experience with magic the gathering and other card games, but wasn't exactly following your game, waiting for its release or anything. To me that says you've got a pretty solid game. It's not only for the ITS forum people, or even for the cyberpunk audience alone. It even entertained my fiance, who is more into cosplaying and blowing bubbles in the park rather than hardcore gaming.

Take from that what you will.

That's awesome to hear, thanks! Grin

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2013, 04:56:31 am »

So cough it up - when's the release date? No pressure of course but WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE? We need you to become rich and work on scars of war again, you know smug

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2013, 01:55:58 pm »

We need you to become rich and work on scars of war again, you know

Trust me, we both want that. Wink

Sorry for the lack of updates. I wanted to post announce the new features at the same time as dropping the next beta version with those new features, but I'm about 2 weeks behind where I hoped to be. Playtesting takes a long time. Nearly done though.

The most common piece of feedback I've had is that there isn't enough card variety in the early game. This runs the risk of turning the player off the game before they have a chance to get into it, which means they might abandon the demo instead of paying for the full version.

This being a concern, I've looked at ways to get new cards in the game. The next version of SC introduces 20 new cards, as well as rebalances many of the existing cards around these new entries. I've also upgraded the starter deck and made sure you get more cards, sooner, during the campaign.

Of course, this means extensive rebalancing of the entire campaign and all decks. Which is where the time has gone, primarily.

Also added in this beta - complete overhaul of how the cards are priced in the Black Market, so it's not the case that cards that cost more resources will always cost more in the Black Market than those that cost less. A powerful 2 credit card will cost a lot to buy in the Black Market, whereas as a simple, 'common' 5 credit card won't cost that much.

Another addition is Tournament mode in SenseSim, where you can play random skirmishes against AI for credits. So if you're struggling in the campaign, play some Tournaments, earn some credits and head to the Black Market to upgrade your deck. It works as a kind of self-regulating difficulty system for the campaign.

There are also more missions, and I've done a complete pass on the card flavour text, replacing all the shitty placeholders that were there before.

So I apologize again for the lack of updates. But I've been busy, I promise. Pushing hard toward release. Wink

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Spyros
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2016, 01:03:37 pm »

Finished the game yesterday. Pretty nice, although I'm more into story than gameplay. Put me right back into the neuromancer world. Writing is okay, but feels too contrived in some places. The early and end game were the most enjoyable, respectively for the discovery of the rules and universe and then for the fast crescendo of action. The middle was the less enjoyable part, and was probably the place that needed a bit of C&C to compensate.

How are the sales doing? Are you planning on an expansion?
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2016, 05:04:25 am »

Thanks, I'm glad you had fun with it!

And yeah, agreed, the middle was the part that, looking back, feels most flabby. Some C&C at that point, perhaps a better mid-story goal to work towards, that would help, yeah. It's something I'll definitely focus on in expansions. I am definitely planning expansions. With the engine built, I can focus on making a more meaty, interesting campaign and on adding new gameplay dynamics. Smile

Sales are minimal off the site. I made the conscious decision to focus my early PR on driving people to the Greenlight page rather than the direct purchase link. I got greenlit fairly quickly, so that worked, I think. But the cost was that people were less likely to go from the GL page to finding the website and making a direct sale.

We'll see how it goes once it gets on Steam.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:06:50 am by Gareth » Logged

My blog
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: