Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGSystem Crash (Moderator: Gareth)The System Crash feedback thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The System Crash feedback thread  (Read 36469 times)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:37:03 am »

I'm making a thread for the feedback received so far.

Most people sent me their feedback in emails/pms, initially I thought this was better but I've changed my mind. For the sake of giving people insight into what I'm actually doing and the status of the project, I think it would be cool to post feedback in public. I'm going to post the feedback I've got so far here, if anyone doesn't like their private communication (just the feedback parts) posted in public, please, let me know, I'll remove it.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:39:34 am »

A mate of mine, not on the forum.

The Good:

- Artwork is amazing

- The single music track is good, very thematic, hopefully the rest of it is as good

- The world building stuff (like the K-Burger email) is nice

- There is nice "juice" in some of the animations, clicking the menus playing cards etc

- I like the twist on the classic Deck building game (in terms of how the game is played)

Things I'd like to see added/changed:

- It would be better if there was a way to see your entire hand, having to scroll is not optimal and can lead players to miss cards they could play

- It would be awesome if there was an animation to see which cards came into your hand that turn (so they pop-up on screen and then fly down to your hand) this would help alleviate issue 1

- Armor needs to be indicated on the agents somehow (if it is I missed it).

- I think, if there is a credit to play, it shouldn't let you progress to the next phase without playing it, or at least a popup saying ("You    have credits to place, are you sure you want to progress?") (unless there is a scenario when you wouldn't want to play a credit)
I think some sort of "phase tracker" could be useful. I realise the turns are relatively short, but it'd be a nice to see where in the turn I am.

- You *need* a nice big end phase/confirm action button. clicking space to confirm actions is fine for a hotkey, but there needs to be a visual of some sort, I'm using the mouse to do everything else, why can't I end the turn/confirm my placements with mouse as well ?
Text boxes should be scroll able with the mouse wheel

General Queries

- Is there (will there be?) a penalty for losing?

- I have no bugs to report, yet.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:42:28 am »

Nick, Eugene and Ivan.

- Eugene is mostly an FPS player, with a basic knowledge of English and no CCG experience. His reaction was "I have no idea what to do!"

- Ivan noticed that one portrait is duplicated when choosing an avatar, you have to click an arrow twice.

- Ivan had a game stuck when placing Criminal card. The application was responding, however the card wasn't placed, and he couldn't place any other card too, nothing was happening. Space and Esc didn't work. Log and profile attached.

- Would be nice if you create a new profile, it would activate it automatically. At least if it's the only profile.

- The art is superb! A true eye candy Smile

- There is a typo in K-Burger spam email, "a sliceof K-Ham".

- I'd like to scroll email text with a mouse wheel. Everyone likes =)

- "Buy" option should lead to the buy page of the site, imo.

Nick has since replicated the targeting bug Ivan experienced. The problem is that, if you click a card which requires the player to select a target slot (like and Agent card), the other cards are still clickable (they shouldn't be). This allows you to click a different target with a different targeting type (like a tactic card), the code isn't cleaning up the previous state.

Will be fixed asap.

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:45:15 am »

Vince

- loved the intro text, read all 7 screens, wish it was an RPG, great start

- loved all the interfaces, details, and polish

- loved both emails (that's how far I got)

- it definitely feels like a game, if you know what I mean; it was
interesting and I wanted to know more and wanted to work my way up,
which is important in any game, making the player want these things,
want to get involved, be eager to get to the next step

- unfortunately, I had no idea how to play battles, but I've never
played card games before. I read jojo's email, clicked on the map
while exploring the interface, saw the mission, clicked on thinking
how hard could it be (I understand dumb bastards who tried the first
fight better now), the interface came up, my cards were dimmed, I
clicked on everything like an AAA player, but didn't see a way to
select my cards, move forward, or do anything.

Lol, you nub!

No, just kidding. The main reason I've limited how many people I have given this alpha version to is the lack of sufficient tutorial / help popups / tooltips. For someone with some experience with these types of games, it's fine. For someone who isn't, I figured it would be too confusing at first. Vince confirms that intuition.

Tutorial coming soon!

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 06:47:33 am »

Another friend not on the forum.

Absolutely sweet game. Awesome aesthetics, nice and clean gameplay. Bear in mind I'm talking as someone who isn't really into TCG stuff, so... excellent stuff so far Grin

Again, I have absolutely no clue how games like this work, so take this as input from a complete n00b Smile

Issues/Comments/Queries

1) When running the game, the configuration page pops up every time. It doesn't seem to remember what I entered previously as settings.

2) The configuration page has a big grey box above the settings. Is that supposed to have an image or similar?

3) You did mention the sound transitions were dodge. I only really noticed it on the starting sound, which hitched a bit and then cut off, leaving a longish pause before the main game background sound played.

4) I created a new profile, and scrolled through the images... I noticed that one of the images seemed to be in there twice (creepy dude with helmet with trodes and silver shades)

5) I ran the game with the default of 1024x768, windowed mode. This meant that the very bottom of the game screen was cut off (especially when the window was 'docked' at the top, which happened when I tried to drag it up). I had to switch to 800x600 to get the whole thing on the screen.

6) When I got into a game, I really wasn't sure what to do at first. I used the 'Credit' card... and then clicked everywhere around the screen to try and move on. There should either be an 'end phase' button, or some kind of text to say 'Action key to end phase'... maybe something that slides in or flickers every time the phase ends?

7) When I read the 'emails'(messages) I wasn't sure how to accept the quest or whatever. It wasn't clear that the quest would be added to the map screen. Maybe some text at the end of the message to hint that something had been updated on the map?

8) during the combat phase, any attack cards sort of 'attack' empty slots. Does this actually do anything for the score, or is it a pointless animation?

9) What is the victory state of a game? A point score? Is this highlighted anywhere? I wasn't sure how I 'won' the first game or 'lost' the second... some kind of visual representation of a target being reached (other than the score number, that is) would be cool.

10) I went to the black market to build a deck... and really have no clue what I was doing. How many cards can I add to the deck? Do I have a limit? There didn't seem to be any representation of the rules or limits of deck creation.

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:48:57 am »

A fellow indie dev.

Played the first two missions, here are my notes as I jotted them down. Nothing in the way of bugs on this run, but useful from a first-time player's perspective:

Music is atmospheric. Very nice.

Intro story is rad, very Neuromancer

Interface very slick. Good user feedback, stylish, mostly intuitive.

No scrollwheel support for scrollbars in email dialogues?

Card preview on side is good. Position highlights to show where to place is good.

Actual UI button for phase end would be clearer. Spacebar works, but not intuitive without instructions. Civ-style "END TURN" button obligatory, methinks.

Good to get preview of enemy cards, especially ones you haven't seen/used, but necessary for every play? Slows pace. Perhaps show once on first play, and allow player to highlight for more info later if necessary. Card art is distinctive even as thumbnail, after all.

Have to sacrifice my own dudes to meet HE target quota? Rad.

While use count for power cards is good to guage over/underuse, better if I wasn't allowed to select more than the required amount of targets to begin with.

No bugs noted this time.

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 06:49:59 am »

A fellow indie dev.

Ok, I've spent about two hours playing it so far. About a 50/50 rate of success so far against the AI.
This will be the first card game I've played, just so you know Smile So take any of my suggestions/feedback with that in mind.
So then..

I like the colours and the UI. It's easy to get into quickly and tell what's going on. The art is cool and most of the sounds fit. (I'll look and listen in more detail as I go) The writing is also good. Well done on that front!

I'm still trying to get my head around exactly how to get my decks in order and beat this AI on the 5th mission.. Had some close calls, but no success yet :|

Things so far:
------

-White screen fade doesn't seem to fit so well. Might look better if black.

-Some text a bit hard to read: See, card details in missions. A more readable font could work.

-How do you exit to the menu mid-mission?

-Still alpha I know, but perhaps saying something like "Press 'Space' to end turn" or such would be good.

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 06:57:58 am »

mkBonde

- Without reading the readme I charged ahead and fired up the game. Good news. It's FUN!

- Even without the readme or tooltips I picked up the rules pretty quickly. Extensive mtg experience surely helped.

- I realize it is still in Alpha, but I decided to take extensive notes on everything anyway. This is what I have in my document so far:

- "Change default settings to full screen.

- From the Ashes intro text:

- Music, art, and a great story already intertwining beautifully. 12 dead bystanders! Holy fuck. In Africa.. Could you be more specific please?

- Noticed 1 comma missing on p6, but do give a native speaking grammar nazi access to the text files for a thorough edit.

- Consider making the “new message” and “new card” message boxes clickable to bring you to the associated menu. Interface is smooth and lovely.

- Deck interface is obviously a little confusing at first glance. Make it clear that I don’t actually need to access this before my first fight.

- Pet peeve. Give me hot keys for the menu please! I am visiting my gf and didn’t bring my mouse. Mouse pad not ideal for games, but figure it should work for game testing a CCG.

- Okay. Lost my first SenseSim battle, but I think I get the game now. Tutorial, or much better, tool tips would have made everything a lot easier of course.

- Is there any way to surrender? Messed around with deck, and wanted to check what happened if I only had 10 cards.

- Second starter deck battle. No opposition as he is credit screwed it seems.

- Third game. Got rofl stomped. I think it should display on the agent if he has armor e.g. from “take cover”.

- Started the campaign and kicked some ass with my 10credits, 4 guns, 4 discards, 8 anarchs, and 4 lightning bolts deck.

- Did I just win a card that I can’t use because I have to pay to unlock it? Kind of strange. It would make sense if I won two cards and could only afford to unlock one, but this just seems kind of weird.

- Having to choose your deck in the black market to make changes and before every battle gets a bit tedious..

- HE grenade bugged. It reads “up to 2 targets”, but requires exactly 2 targets.

- The animation for playing a card is slightly too slow for my taste. I.e. zoom in on the card the opponent is playing, great, but then the card goes on the stack to the left before hitting the table for no reason it seems. Unless the stack will be used more later on, for interrupts or something, this step should be omitted, except for events maybe."

Here you see the experienced MtG player. He immediately tried to make a deck with FEWER cards in it, to increase the probability of getting exactly the cards he wanted, quickly. This is an oversight on my part, I will probably lock the valid deck size to exactly 60.

That might be disappointing to some experienced CCG players, but MAN is a card game a pain to balance, much more than I thought it would be, fool that I am.

More feedback from mk :

Is the game designed for old school square monitors? Why the big black bars on each side of the screen? (I am playing in 1366x768)

Battle interface could be hugely improved with a little tweaking of the layout. You rarely have more than 7cards on your hand, yet the interface (at least on my resolution) is designed to show 5 cards, with two arrows taking up almost as much space as a card to scroll left/right. Stacking identical cards (especially credits) would also free up space.

Credit-cards (pun not intended) should be placed on the left side of the screen automatically for easier selection in the play resource phase.

Some of the UI decisions I've made, and the way I've built it, have not been...ideal. Locking to the square resolution was one of those things, it makes UI building a lot easier and quicker. But, yeah, not ideal.

At this stage, with a(-nother, I've rebuilt that damn UI 3 times) major UI rework out the of the question, there are some things I can/will fix and some I can't.

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:02:14 am »

Anonxeuix :

So, I played a couple of games.

- The interface is slick. I like the mission structure (e-mails etc). The duel itself is fun, reminds me of Magic in many ways, but there are some differences of course. I found it a bit hard to understand what the numbers on the cards mean. Some keywords I also couldn't tell what they do (of course a tutorial would eliminate this problem, but have you thought about some tool tips?).

- I'll try and play some more tomorrow. I'm really busy right now but for an alpha it's pretty solid. I did not notice any bugs, but if there was an bug relating to the game rules I might not have noticed.

- Also, and this could just be because I chose the 'starter deck', most of the cards were the same. There was only like 7 different cards in my deck and my opponents.

Looking good Gareth, I hope this game does well for you. Smile

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:24 am »

Darkthia :

Heya Gareth, I played the Alpha through the first two missions and have some of my initial impressions.

Pros:

* I like the music and the art style, it all seems very professional and if I was told that it was done by a big name company I would have no reason to disbelieve it

* The interface is usable and accessible, even at the start I knew exactly where to go to do whatever it was I wanted.

* The game plays great, I never once had a hiccup or glitch, and it plays smoothly on my windows 7.

* the enemy AI is very nice, challenging in fact. I actually lost the 3rd battle I entered because they focused on using hacking widgets and such, when I had a map full of Mechs.

* I like the Text Intros and such, they are very well written and I enjoyed reading them, but... (See cons section)

Cons:(I imagine quite a few of these are because of its Alpha state, though I will say them anyway)

* (Continued from Pros) the battles and missions need a bit more of a back story, maybe a little text about what happens before you start battle, as it jumps into it a bit quickly and its kinda jarring.

* At the beginning of the battles, there is no sort of start up animation or special music or anything to let people know that something is going down.

* There is no real animation effects for playing cards, and the sound effects are sorely lacking. Considering the idea of "Jacking in" a card, this is a greatly wasted resource.

* After playing a card, I figured out that you end that part of the turn by pressing the space bar, however there is absolutely no indication of this aside from trial and error.

* When playing an equipment card, it requires an action after you choose the target, it means to use he space bar and I eventually figured that out, but was extremely cautious because I had the thought that if I was wrong then I would probably just end my turn, having done nothing.

* I had a very hard time figuring out what the Victory point system, as I was used to the "Life Point" System common in card games. I spent the entire first battle and half of the second trying to "Damage" my enemy with the tried and true approach of "Hit them when they don't have cards". I won both battles, but the first one I had no idea exactly why I had won. I have to recommend putting a 30/30 gauge near the enemy picture and marking it down as you gain points.

* I still have no idea what OP are, or the uses for the cards that mention them. I think they might mean what I am referring to as Victory Points, but I am not quite sure.

* If they are indeed victory points, then there is no way to stop an enemy from using the software cards to gain victory, all they need is a couple throwaway cards to stop up the board and coast to victory in a few turns.

Bugs/Errors/Typos:

*On the Profile menu when you pick your picture, the hacker guy with the wires requires 2 clicks to move past, repeatedly and consistently.

*In the Burger K joke message, there is a Typo  when in says "Sliceof" instead of "Slice Of" and it also has a typo when describing the breakfast, it uses the word "Breakfast" at the beginning of the sentence, followed by a non sequitur that again uses the word "Breakfast".

Thoughts on the game:

Despite my cons list being twice the size of my pro's list, I actually enjoyed playing what parts of the game I Have, and I am going to go back to try to beat the 2nd mission out of nothing but a desire for entertainment.
So It only stands to reason that the game is very good, even for just a Alpha, and for that I give you Salutes.  Salute

About the the hacking deck deck vs mechs - I'm really glad you had that experience, having the big facestomping mechs deck meet a counter that isn't just "have bigger, stronger mechs".

Means my design isn't totally rubbish! Hooray!

There are counters to those hacking cards though, so you can't just win by using a bunch of them. You may need to adapt strategies though.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:28:24 am by Gareth » Logged

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 07:19:26 am »

Diego (IndigoStatic)

Feedback time! Divided into categories:

Easily solvable and of extreme importance:

- In these types of UI, the mouse should always be able to perform every single task the player has available. The keyboard should only be used for shortcuts.

- In the case of this game, it feels like the space bar and the enter key shouldn't provide two different functions. If you must, then the space bar should be for ending a turn and the enter key should always be the "OK" and never "cancel" in any way, shape or form.

Easily solvable but not that important:

- The player's hand by default should be sorted by type of card and then by name.

- Tooltips! I guess this falls under the "tutorial" category so I'll leave it at that.

Not so easily solvable and of slightly less but still great importance:

- In UI design Nothing should be instantaneous. I know, it's a pain in the ass, I've been there, but those little transitions can make or break a game. For instance, when you draw a card, as it is right now, it just appears in your hand without any fanfare, without any effect so that the player notices a card being drawn.

- Drag and drop. Again, a pain in the ass but still quite necessary because we've all gotten used to moving files and icons around.

Polish details:

- The player should be able to sort their own hand by dragging and dropping cards within the hand.

- The player's hand should be completely visible without needing to scroll with buttons. Magic the gathering 2012 does it well though it feels finicky and sometimes too sensitive. Another example would be the Mac Menu/Icons Bar (the icons at the bottom of every mac OS) if I remember correctly.

And that's it for now.

- Oh! Right. I remember a little itty bitty bug. When selecting a card from the hand it highlights where you can put it ... but you can select two different types of cards at the same time and make both landing places highlighted. It's a small bug that doesn't even matter if you plan to use drag and drop.

Good points, all. Not sure I agree about sorting the cards by type, or allowing the player to rearrange their own hand. It's nice to have, but I don't know if it's necessary.

Drag and Drop would be best, but it adds a bunch of complexity. Unfortunately, I have had to redo the UI a couple of times, including porting to a completely different system because Unity's default UI stuff sucks. With more time, I'd implement this. But I can't at this point, not for this release.

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 07:20:42 am »

Llaploghmaster.

Nice, responsive interface.

Diggin' the music.

Was excited to play after reading the readme. That's a good sign.

Would be nice to have a few alternate interface "booble" sounds. Slightly lower/higher pitched, etc.

I would appreciate an end turn/confirm button and an abort button to click. So close to mouse only that it's a bit odd to have to hit space bar and esc.

The left-arrow/right-arrow display of your cards doesn't seem ideal. It's kinda easy to lose track of what's in your hand and what you just drew. Maybe give the most recent draw an animation so you always see them for a moment before they join the stack? Or show more cards at once? I dunno. This is tricky.

attacks that pass through defenders could have better notice of damage inflicted. As is you need to notice the numbers on the commander's faces. As a general rule I think it would be good to always reflect variable changes right alongside the card actions.

0 attack dudes don't slide on your turn, but do for the opponent? maybe pulse the "0" on your attack card?

Deck selection for missions should assume last used deck... Kinda annoying to always have to select your deck of choice if you've made some custom ones.

space to skip highlight of opp. played card would be a nice touch.

cant play HE grenade against just one enemy agent. This may be a feature, but it's kinda random. Once I added a neon dude just so I could bomb his ass along with the enemy, which I'm sure you enjoyed. But still, kinda random. Also, perhaps area effect cards should be limited to adjacent agents? This would add a bit more strategy in terms of who you place where. Maybe splash damage to your team could be smaller but present? More incentive to pair grenades with armor...

The "discard hand" attack could use a confirmation, because as it is the deduction happens before the animation, so don't get satisfaction of seeing their cards go poof. Perhaps even show us the cards they lost if it's single player? Just for fun?

I didn't clue into the world map thing for a bit, but maybe that's just me.

"Hermes" card, total value of 10 objective points, seems OP for 2 credits

I often put up a neon dude with a +2 pistol in order to be able to kill enemy neon dudes before they could come into play. The AI didn't seem to take this into account and would put a neon against my souped-up neon instead of against a vanilla neon when it had the choice.

performance bonuses for high performance (ratio of scores)? bonuses for wins in fewer turns? maybe in the form of materials recovered from the mission itself? these could be higher for wins where you avoided killing enemy agents and went straight for a hacky objective point win? stuff like this might make for more variety in game play / deck-crafting.

if I get really shafted on credits at start (like three turns, no credits), there's not much point in playing. I wished for a restart/retreat button a few times. To avoid scumming perhaps this could come at a cost? Credits? Or have fixers reference your cowardly ways?

When discarding cards, perhaps don't take first one away as soon as it is clicked, just grey it out until two have been selected. This allows you to change you mind and also keeps the cards in place instead of shuffling as you click.

When fixer mentions a bonus, it would be nice to have some kind of indication of payment beyond knowing your bank balance and detecting the bonus using arithmetic. FUCK MATH MAN.

Typo in mission title: "Eye for AND eye".

Smoke Grenade seems too cheap at 2 credits, as it could totally change the course of a match, especially in endgame. Maybe scale the cost with how many agents are in play? Or have it effect two opponents instead of all of them?

Why do I choose where to deploy tactics cards goes if their placement doesn't matter?

"Logout" of profile then "logout" of game seems a bit repetitive. "Disconnect" for one of them? "Exit"?

Okay, there you have it. I did enjoy the game, although I found the gameplay a bit stifling as the initial deck is pretty limited, the cards you can unlock don't change things up much, and event cards are capped. I basically spammed well-funded neons with guns for the entire 11 missions. Have not fooled around with the special decks, yet.

I think you're definitely on to something with the e-mail/fixer structure that ties all the duels together. I think taking advantage of that dynamic at every opportunity will help set your game apart.

I'd make sure that there's always a good number of missions up for grabs, as there may some parts of the progression that call for grinding if you feel like you just can't breakthrough a certain mission without some new tricks.

Have you planned any defensive missions? Maybe you could have enemy teams react to gameplay and initiate a duel, with the penalty for failure being the loss of some credits. For example, you could leave access to a bunch of dubious grinding missions (robbing daycares, etc.) and have vigilantes come looking for you every now and again. It also seems unfair to allow the player to have the first move all the time...

So I'm trying to make suggestions that don't involve too much feature creep. Trying! But one thing I've enjoyed in other games of this nature is being able to invest in global upgrades that help form a strategic style (e.g. reduced cost of ICE). This would be a big addition, and make balancing a nightmare. You're welcome!

Good on ya, can't wait to see how it all comes together. A++, would alpha test again.

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 07:46:40 am »

Ghan :

- First off, I did not encounter any bugs. I found the game easy to use and get into, the main
menu is easy to navigate and looks attractive. I was quickly playing my first duel without
reading much of the instructions. Really enjoyed the writing in the game (intro story, emails/
missions). I already knew from AoD that you are a pretty good writer, and it shows here.
It adds a really nice touch to the game, and a sense that the developer really cares. This
element definitely added to my enjoyment of the game.

- As I said earlier I have very limited experience with these kind of games. Never played a
tabletop variant and only briefly dabbled with two IPhone games. That said, I found myself
getting into the game pretty easily. Below a list of stuff that were a bit unclear of confusing to
this Newbie.

- The things I had to look up in the readme was the meaning of the numbers on the cards (–
you could possibly reduce that need by adding a little symbol beside them e.g. a green heart
for health, a gun for attack) and the target OP to win (again this could be incorporated in the
screen e.g. showing it as e.g. 5/30). I didn’t immediately understand and haven’t yet fully
grasped how credit chits work, and whether there was any strategy involved in using them.
Why are there two numbers for credits (e.g. 7/7)? I just ended up always playing any credit chit
available, and playing as many cards as I was allowed to.

- It seems with targeted cards I can select more targets thatn the card actually allows? Confused
me a bit but I never tried to hit space and see what happens.

- With some “damage effect” cards it seems I can target my own agents. Intentional? Again this
confused me a bit.

- The black market also confused me slightly. I can just add cards to my deck at will? Are the
cards “I” have and the ones in the decks I can load the same? Only new cards cost credits, but
not adding “known” cards? How large / small can I make a deck, and what effect does deck
size have?

User Interface suggestions:

- I was a bit irritated by having to switch between mouse and keyboard. I think a game
of this kind should be fully playabe with either. So e.g. there should be an “end turn”
button (in addition to “press space”. Vice versa the zoom view on enemy cards played
should quit with space bar in addition to mouse click. This should also make it easier to
port to mobile devices later on.

- Make it more obvious when my turn starts. A “your turn” message, an icon flashing, a
color change on the card slot background/frame, something like that.

- There is no “leave duel” button? There should be a way to get out of the game at any
time.

- It would be nice if the OP count was visualized a bit, e.g. by the color changeing, or a
bar filling. Even cooler would be if there were some visual effects, e.g. fading in some
screen noise or flicker occasionally as your opponent gets near 30.

- It would be nice if an augmented/crippled attack rating was color coded (e.g. blue/red)
or otherwise made obvious.

- Playing the “backlash” card, I found myself wishing to get some visual feedback.
Seeing the removed cards would be the nicest.

Visuals:

- I think the game looks good, but it could use a bit more polish and “bling”. Shadow era, one
of the games I tried on Iphone, definitely looks more exiting with the 3D playing field etc.

- The splash screen and main menu look attractive enough, but if you could add some basic
animated textures or shader effects, might look even cooler.

- Card art is partly good, partly only OK, some deviation in style from different artists is obvious.

- Playing windowed on my laptop, writing on the cards is very small and sometimes difficult to
read. This may be a particular problem when later porting to mobile devices.

- On laptop / wide screen monitor: lots of unused screen real estate.

- Found myself wishing I could get an even larger view of the cards (and the art), e.g. by right
clicking it

- In the mission screen the “reward card” is ultra small – no way to see what it is, and no way to
get a detail view / zoom.

- Selecting the native res of my laptop screen and windowed resulted in a too large window (cut
off at the bottom by the task bar.

- Cards like credit chit and many of the action cards (widget, ICE breaker etc.) look unattractive
(placeholders?)

- The duels could use a bit more visual excitement – Could you add some effects like they do
in Puzzle quest? I.e. an animated crippling shot hitting the card, a shadowy whirl when “going
into cover” electric discharge across the screen for backlash? I know, probably way too much
work.

- Card animation is very basic.

Audio:

- Didn’t pay much attention to it - Enjoyed the music, audio effects seemed appropriate.

Gameplay:

- Not much to comment on yet. Found myself wondering whether there would be cards I can use
to attack “back row” cards (like widget). Or to remove modifiers.

- Was wondering if the OP target would vary (longer / shorte battles could change deck
dynamics?)

- Found myself wondering if there are any consequences to loosing a duel in the campaign?

Bling and animation : this is an unfortunate aspect. I *wanted* more bling, there is placeholder code for activating visual animations and things, but I've run out of time and money. The main problem is the art required to create the animation effects.

I'm left with a compromise. I have to go with what I've got right now, and assuming the game is enough of a success, I'll try to add in animation effects in future expansions. It's not ideal, but that's just where things stand right now.

In the mission screen, the reward card : Oops, I've somehow broken the hover popup showing that card in more detail. I'll fix it asap.

Some cards have ugly placeholder art at the moment, yes. The ones with the black and green diagonal stripes.

At the moment, there are no cards to directly attack back row (Tactics) cards, but there are Tactics cards that provide counters to these. Because of my extremely limited budget, I've got a fairly small "core set", I had to make some hard choices about which planned cards to cut from this release. I'll expand the set over time.

These are the strategies I identified when I started, the ones with the X next to them are supported in the core set ie, there are enough cards in the set to make them viable. Some of the others are almost viable, I have enough cards in to sort of do them, but I don't feel they're fleshed out enough to really make a good deck of that type. People may surprise me though.

- Balanced. (X)
- Direct Hacking (Tricks/Blockers buy time, Viruses and Hacks to directly gain OP) - (X)
- Resource Denial. (X)
- Milling.
- Resource boost + big Agents. (X)
- Turtler (Strong defense, whittle foe down over time.)
- Weenie agents + Booster tactics/synergies and modifiers.
- Rush + Unsummons.
- Denial (agents or tactics)
- Modifiers + Find Modifier cards.
- Agent Removal. (X)
- Reversal (opponent’s cards turned against them)

I may change OP values, yes. I'm still very much testing things.

I'll discuss consequences of losing in the design thread I'll be posting shortly.

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 07:59:13 am »

Thanks for all the feedback so far, guys! Very valuable.

If you've managed to read through everything, you'll have noticed some clear trends.

1) General enjoyment of the basic story and mood.

Hooray! I can't compete on game budget, polish, or multiplayer. So I'm hoping a good story and the non-fantasy/wizards theme will be the features that make System Crash stand out in a crowd. As least for people who enjoy that sort of thing.

1) Insufficient information display

There isn't enough help information displayed. Tutorials, in-game reference, tooltips, better indication of turns and phases and whether a card in play is boosted or armored.

Thanks for muddling through anyway, guys. It's very useful for me to know where people are feeling lost or confused, so I can focus my efforts.

2) UI / Usability / Layout issues.

Lots of good suggestions on how to make the UI more enjoyable or easier to use, and where the points of unneccessary tedium are.

3) Bugs or oversights.

Only a few of these so far, but we'll see how that goes over time. I expect that, for now at least, the usability issues will get in the way of really digging in and discovering those bugs, for many people. Which is fine, it's expected.

My blog
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 08:11:00 am »

Damn, I wish I could play some more games and give you feedback, but I'm *really* busy. I did have fun playing, and that, I think, is very important. Good to see you've been given loads of feedback.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: