Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGRPG DiscussionMy Expeditions: Conquistador impressions
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Expeditions: Conquistador impressions  (Read 71779 times)
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 02:29:31 pm »

This looks very promising, thanks for the showcase!

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
OldSkoolKamikaze
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 07:54:40 pm »

How'd you have so much trouble with the Esteban fight? Isn't that the one where you start at the top overlooking a large pit, and the enemies have to circle the entire thing to make their way to you? I parked my party at the top where you start and fired down onto the enemies. I killed most of them before they made it to the top near my party, and the ones that did make it were horribly weakened.
george_gumblert
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 08:06:11 pm »

How'd you have so much trouble with the Esteban fight? Isn't that the one where you start at the top overlooking a large pit, and the enemies have to circle the entire thing to make their way to you? I parked my party at the top where you start and fired down onto the enemies. I killed most of them before they made it to the top near my party, and the ones that did make it were horribly weakened.

Thats only if you let Esteban talk and talk and then confront - rather than ambush - him. Oddly enough, its a much easier fight than the ambush.

Just like in any game that has %, things can go south though. The first time I did that fight everything went well. Second playthrough Esteban's hunter AND indian trapper crit my hunter. One down. Next turn ditto on my second hunter.

EDIT : The hardest fight in the game, imo, was a certain night ambush. My usual team was absolute shit against the enemy. In frustration I just filled 'er up with all soldiers and scouts and managed to finish it, 2 wounded.

EDIT2 : Didn't take much med skill (5 default + 4 from 2 doctors) on my first playthrough. It was a FUUU moment when I finished a combat with 2 critically wounded characters and ran out of meds. Nearest town was a day or two away and with not enough greens on the map - and no time to actually convert them into meds tbh - I had to say bye to one of my chars.  Wallbang Screw rations, stock up on meds asap ffs. Or take a higher survival stat on character creation.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:10:59 pm by george_gumblert » Logged
OldSkoolKamikaze
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:43 pm »

Thats only if you let Esteban talk and talk and then confront - rather than ambush - him. Oddly enough, its a much easier fight than the ambush.

Nice. It seems like most (all?) of the battles have decisions to make before battle that can influence the difficulty. I'm a fan of that.
jimmy_pvish
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 07:44:06 am »

looking good!!

Now it's on my "must buy" list!!
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 01:39:38 pm »

Thanks for these impressions. I hadn't heard of this game before I saw this thread, but now I'll pick it up for sure.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 03:13:01 pm »

Yeah, that's looking very cool.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
klar
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 08:04:24 pm »

I have to admit this is the only game that I have given money to on kickstarter and I am very excited about its imminent release.   Of course, I am waiting expectantly for AOD :]  Thank you for the first look Vince!
bam65
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 11:06:20 am »

I was going to buy this game anyway but this really convinced me.  Wink
Cancle

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 11:57:32 am »

Very much appreciate this Let's Play. Thank you Vince!
hilf
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 01:36:04 pm »

I was going to buy this game anyway but this really conVinced me.  Wink
Fixed (:

I really have to find a job to buy all those promising games.

I bought AoD on Thursday.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 01:18:54 pm »

I'm flat out amazed at the care that's been put into the interface and its presentation.  Looks much nicer and deeper than a lot of its (distant) AAA cousins.

In portraits, the helmets sometimes look like they were pasted over a helmet-less version.  Actually, I think they would all look better without the helmets.

Assigning people to certain tasks when you set up camp is brilliant and severely underused as a feature.  I much prefer to assign someone to "forage" for alchemy ingredients for instance, instead of actually going bush-to-bush and picking berries, like in the Elder Scrolls games.  So many possibilities!

My only complaint so far is that they shouldn't be afraid to make games harder.
Vince, I am frankly shocked to hear this opinion from you!

----

PS their web presence is basically nonexistent.  This is a textbook example of (typical) awful indie marketing.  They created a Wordpress site with nothing on it but a wallpaper and the default "Hello World!" message (IMO worse than no site at all), and even pages linked to by RPS a few days ago now come up 404.  If I want to purchase this game now, I'm basically out of luck, and if it's going to be released later this month one has to wonder if they're even ready to start selling it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:31:46 pm by Scott » Logged

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
nekator
DS Silver Patrons

lurking in the shadows

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 03:50:01 am »

Makes me glad i backed the game, that´s the kind of game we need more of Smile
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 01:39:11 am »

Considered pledging and in the end didn't - this looks amazingly well done.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
kyosuke
DS Gold Patrons

I am hungry.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 03:26:59 am »

Feel glad that I pledged.
Good stuff there.

I lurk.
And I have an weird sense of humour.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: