Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGRPG DiscussionObsidian's KS: Project Eternity
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Obsidian's KS: Project Eternity  (Read 101564 times)
DorkMage
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 01, 2015, 08:49:11 pm »

Only playing with four - Durance being one - and not having an easy time with all battles.  Most no problem but some I'm just plain out numbered.  I will be adding at least one more fighter....
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 01, 2015, 09:51:44 pm »

Did everyone get every available companion in the beginning? I skipped Durance, but it sounds like he is one of the more itneresting NPCs, plus I don't find battles particularly easy with only four party members.

Durance is one of the best characters (from a narrative POV), and Priests are massively powerful in Pillars, too.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: April 02, 2015, 12:14:03 am »

Did everyone get every available companion in the beginning? I skipped Durance, but it sounds like he is one of the more itneresting NPCs, plus I don't find battles particularly easy with only four party members.

Durace is the most interesting party member I've found so far, and priests are extremely useful as a class.

May I ask why?

Just trying to save you from inevitable disappointment, Ellorien. You already know it's going to be terrible, so why waste your hard-earned money?

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 02, 2015, 09:12:10 am »

I'd go so far as to say that Durance is the most useful character in my party, not just one of the most interesting. As far as spell lists and abilities, I'd go Priest - Cipher - Druid - Wizard.

Anyone know the max level and/or expected level in this game? I've hit 9, and I don't know how many more level-ups I should be planning to get when I think about character Talents.

Also curious when those low-level spells transition to per-encounter (vs. per-rest). I've read that this is Obsidian's system, basically turning low-level spells into cantrips as your character levels up, but I don't see an explanation anywhere. The manual is...minimal. Wink
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: April 02, 2015, 09:23:28 am »

Yeah, for now, Priest appears to be the most useful spellcaster.

A big part of that, for me, is range of the (low level) mage spells, which seems a little short. I'm not able to play artillery like I want to.

Buuuut, they may be going for that D&D thing where wizards start weak and end up Godlike. Maybe. Will have to see when I get up to 4-6th level spells.

And yeah, the manual explanation of usable spells per level is fairly bare.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2015, 10:05:08 am »

The manual is also faulty as a lot of changes were made up until the release-day patch. I haven't looked through it but it may be wrong about many things.

The level cap is 12 by the way.

Durance has probably been my favorite character, very well done. Grieving Mother is also pretty good and definitely a rather unusual character with interesting imagery. I like them all though, Eder is just a cool dude to have along. Durance and Grieving Mother are Avellone's from the start (though other writers also had a hand in there) and they certainly feel the "weightiest" so to speak.

Ciphers are murderous, I hope they get nerfed a bit because they are just... overpowered.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2015, 11:00:50 am »

Eder is Mal Reynolds, except for having backed the winning, maybe-wrong side rather than the losing, maybe-right side.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: April 02, 2015, 11:03:08 am »

Yeah, I quite enjoy Eder. It's nice to have this solid, salt-of-the-earth character in the game, especially as a representative of the themes of faith etc. It's easy to write that in a way that's cheap. A nice counterbalance to Durace, who's more of a 'character'.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:05:11 am by Gareth » Logged

My blog
Ellorien
Master

Mindflayer

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 02, 2015, 01:24:29 pm »

May I ask why?

Just trying to save you from inevitable disappointment, Ellorien. You already know it's going to be terrible, so why waste your hard-earned money?

Eh... Nowhere did I state that I "knew" it was "going to be terrible". I said "slightly ABOVE average" based on what info I was able to get by browsing the Codex and OE forums. I certainly appreciate the sentiment though: our hard-earned money should be spent wisely. And so should our limited leisure time.
I realize you were trying to be sarcastic, Gareth, and we both know that it is easier to answer with a "witty" one-liner than actually address the raised questions about the quality of the game being discussed. Thank you for your reply anyway.

I consider my research finished. Thanks everyone.
I will most probably buy this game after it is thoroughly patched and more reasonably priced. It is not worth $45. Summer sale maybe.

μολὼν λαβέ
robaki

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 02, 2015, 03:48:38 pm »

Durance

I totally skipped the guy, no fanatics in the party for me. I've added him to the party to see the priest spells and then reloaded. ATM I'm in the Raedrick's hold with 3 people: my mage, the other mage and the fighter guy (and the undead cat! Grin). Combat-wise I have fun on normal difficulty, though I can see how it could be easy for someone with bigger/better balanced party. I like the character dev system - my mage is not just competent enough in battle, but has enough skill points to bump up mechanics (or whatever the lockpicking/traps skill is called). The limitation on the number of traps is kinda silly though.

A big part of that, for me, is range of the (low level) mage spells, which seems a little short. I'm not able to play artillery like I want to.

Same here. The exception is the rolling flame - nice way to start encounters, need good positioning of all party members though. Investing into sneaking could help with the range too.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 02, 2015, 04:38:29 pm »

I realize you were trying to be sarcastic, Gareth

Not at all, Ellorien. I'm just trying to save you the inevitable disappointment that we both know awaits when you install an Obsidian product on your hard drive.

My blog
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 02, 2015, 05:40:43 pm »

In some ways, Durance is the opposite of a fanatic. Or he's a deeply skeptical fanatic, maybe. Which makes him vastly more interesting.
robaki

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 02, 2015, 05:50:41 pm »

In some ways, Durance is the opposite of a fanatic. Or he's a deeply skeptical fanatic, maybe. Which makes him vastly more interesting.

Thanks, that's interesting -- maybe will give him a shot then.
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 02, 2015, 08:47:37 pm »

I just noticed that, at Level 9, Aloth's Level 1 spells are now per-encounter rather than per-rest. The game didn't actually point this out, of course, which seems like a pretty nutty oversight. This is a major mechanical benefit of higher spellcaster levels. The only reason I noticed was because I was looking for it, after reading a wiki entry before the game's release (which also didn't specify the level at which this kicked in).

So now you know. Sort of.

Obsidian went to all the trouble of creating a pretty darn good character system, then failed to document it in a clearly accessible manner. This will get fixed pretty quickly by user-generated wiki content, but it's a little baffling in the meantime. Wink
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:50:20 pm by suibhne » Logged
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 03, 2015, 01:13:49 am »

I also think one area where PoE kinda fails is in the encounter design.

There are a few good encounters here and there I think but there really is nothing very... inventive. Some areas *really* feel like just... groups of mobs waiting around for you. A few of the Endless Paths levels are great examples of this (the ones in the middle especially). Clearing out room after room with groups of mobs. I think even BG1 managed to make many encounters feel special, dangerous and kinda memorable. PoE doesn't really have that.
It kinda annoyed me now in Act III where I'm very close to the end (I think at least). Started exploring another wilderness area, one of the last you can find and it's jam-packed with... pretty much the same stuff you find everywhere else in the game. And it's *packed*. And they are *no* challenge whatsoever.

I think that's one thing that could really be improved upon. 1)Making encounters more inventive, less copy-paste, 2) making enemies "fit" into the game areas better. I get that there needs to be *something* in wilderness areas to kill, but when you have 10 different groups of mobs, group of beetles here, group of forest lurkers there and oh, there's a pack of wolves a stone's throw away from the lurkers... It feels artificial.

So yeah, encounter design needs a lot of work and I hope they can start with that in the expansion.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: