Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dev Answer Compilation  (Read 67988 times)
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2012, 10:02:54 am »

About Greenlight - we'll be submitting through the regular Steam process at some point. Aside from not having time to set up a Greenlight page right now, I'd like to see how it's working out in a few months. We're not coming out soon, so we can wait on this one for a bit.

You might want to add this to the list DrunkZombie Grin

Update made:

Misc
Will Dead State be on Steam Greenlight?
(Posted 9/4/12)  About Greenlight - we'll be submitting through the regular Steam process at some point. Aside from not having time to set up a Greenlight page right now, I'd like to see how it's working out in a few months. We're not coming out soon, so we can wait on this one for a bit.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
Thasic
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2012, 05:52:40 am »

I don't know about this whole Greenlight thing at Steam, anyway. Do a little research and you get the impression it's a big SNAFU over at Steam and they may be sorry they ever started the Greenlight deal. Maybe better to avoid that mud hole at least until Steam gets it cleaned up.

Deficio est non en Bene
Karasu
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2012, 06:37:03 am »

I don't know about this whole Greenlight thing at Steam, anyway. Do a little research and you get the impression it's a big SNAFU over at Steam and they may be sorry they ever started the Greenlight deal. Maybe better to avoid that mud hole at least until Steam gets it cleaned up.

I have the impression that the whole thing is a market research hidden into the indie-support cloak, which is not necessary bad, just could be more straightforward in rules and aims.

There were some indie games on steam which eventually faded away from the available games to buy, probably because the lack of interest and selling. Now if you would have the information of interest before the game release into Steam...
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2012, 12:36:42 am »

Update made:

Skills

What is the scale for skills?
Stat points - At least a 1 or better.

Skill Points - Start at 0, very easy (1 Skill point) to buy in to the first level. First perk choice is at level 3 right now.

0 = Unskilled (Either you can't do an action or you're miserable at it)
1 = Basic Proficiency
5 = Average
8 = Expert
10 = Amazing

For example, at an 8 in Medical, you'd be a competent doctor. At level 10, you'd be one of the best surgeons in the world. 

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2012, 03:18:11 pm »

Updates made:

Zombies
In the world of Dead State, is zombie fiction and knowledge about zombies common?
Not sure why this isn't in the question thread, but to answer, in the world of Dead State, the idea of zombies may exist, but widespread saturation of the idea (in popular entertainment) does not. That is, there may have been comics or obscure novels about the dead coming back to life, but there was never any "Night of the Living Dead" type movie to make the concept popular/familiar. If you read old horror comics, zombies weren't an entirely new concept, but Romero's film popularized the modern idea of a zombie. Our characters don't use the word "zombie" because the definition does not exist for them.

The reason that people know to destroy the brain is because either it was shared with the public before TVs went dead or survivors have passed this knowledge on. And people who didn't figure out how to kill the undead probably didn't survive their encounter with them.  

The second paragraph added to below Q and A.

Weapons
Can you tell us a little about the guns?
There are multiple guns, but we're going for functionality over modeling dozens of different types of guns. For example, a 9MM has plentiful ammo and pretty decent upgrades, but its not as powerful (or loud) as the magnum. Between melee weapons, guns, and special weapons, we have quite a lot of options available.

Guns do a lot of damage (assuming you're not wearing armor specifically to block gun damage). They do a lot more base damage than melee weapons. The tradeoff is that they need ammo and they make a lot of noise, meaning every living and dead thing in the area will know where you are. Depending on your skill (skill equaling ability to target critical areas) you could theoretically take a weak enemy down in one shot.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:20:20 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 12:03:38 am »

Updated:

Weapons
Are there options for silent ranged weapons?
There are bows and silencer attachments for some weapons.  Silencers will not be easy to get, they only exist for a few guns, and they reduce noise but do not eliminate it.

Bows are harder to use too. Not good when enemy is in melee range. Require a lot of strength to shoot at a distance. Also have to be "reloaded" after every shot. On the other hand, ballistic armor provides little resistance to arrows.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
Doc
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2012, 09:23:06 pm »

Nice compilation!

Doc
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2012, 10:36:06 pm »

Updated:

Zombies

If a human turns into a zombie, will I get to see their zombie graphic?
Yes, for their model. It would be difficult to do it for every portrait.

If you have unique looking characters, or at least a specific character and they get bit and turned, could I as the player be able to go out and find that particular zombie to "put 'em down?"
It's not really accounted for right now (aside from their death). You could put them down while you're on the map, but otherwise, expect them to wander off.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 01:46:19 pm »

Updated:

Account/Kickstarter
When are the KS t-shirts being shipped?
We will now be shipping the t-shirt closer to launch. Originally, the shirt was one of the only physical rewards but is now tied to multiple shipped items, including items that need the final game. Essentially, if we ship the shirt out now for most orders, we would double our shipping costs for US and international orders for the shirt plus another shipment when the book/box/other physical rewards ship. Shirt and shirt/book will probably be shipped out first, followed by the other tiers which require a final version of the game to get printed, packaged, and shipped.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2013, 10:50:51 pm »

Updated:

Account/Kickstarter
I heard that you will be working on Torment: Tides of Numenera.  How will this affect Dead State?
It is very exciting to work on Torment and work with Kevin again. I was thrilled to be asked.
But, don't worry DS fans - the first thing we worked out were potential schedule conflicts. This isn't going to interfere with Dead State production at all.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2013, 11:40:16 am »

Updated:

Combat Map
Will there be fog of war?
(Oscar)There will probably be more camera options in the final game. Regarding FoW, we definitely won't be making the level black and you having to explore every nook and cranny to reveal it like in BG.

Misc
Will the game have hotkeys?
We will have hotkeys, but you have to realize that a great number of gamers navigate by icons/mouse at first before learning hotkeys, and some never learn them. If you don't have those visual shortcuts, some people will get frustrated trying to get to the game's sub-menus.  

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:18:12 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »

Update:

Combat
Can Zombies bashed down rise again due to no brain damage?
Once a zombie is considered dead, it’s dead. If it’s at 0 HP, its brain was damaged or destroyed.

Does Character or team PNJ have special reaction or dialogues entries, once they killed another human being or witness the kill of one (for example our looter) ?
Individual allies and factions have combat floats to indicate what they’re doing or their status. Sometimes party dialogue (that’s in the video when Vic starts a dialogue) is reactive. It would get old really quick if everyone was constantly shocked that they had to kill someone. Some allies HATE leaving the shelter, and they will tell you so.

weapons don't look very deadly - i.e. point blank shotgun shot and still standing. "Oh, let me reload my weapon *whistling*" Will weapons and characters be generally this tough?
Couple of things about balance:
1. This is a very early level and early combat build. If it was going out tomorrow, I’d panic. Weapon balance still needs a lot of love, but we have to wait for more features to be implemented to properly balance versus noise, armor, scarcity, HP, perks, etc. It’s going to get most of it at the beta stage.
2.  It’s very easy to make changes to the damage/noise/modifiers on our end. Very easy to tweak almost everything about every weapon and item.
3. I toned down the shotgun for the demo and buffed the PC and Vic. In some runs, the looter was killing the PC with a critical shot.
4. Misses are a part of all turn-based combat and RPGs and our game is no different. It’s abstracted. That said, I want to make sure it still feels faster-paced and fair.

what was that, a blind zombie? (characters run past a zombie with no reaction)
It was a zombie with very little peripheral vision being run past. We’re still tweaking AI reaction to running and their vision cone. Right now, they don’t perceive NPCs that are running very well.

Head shots and other aimed shots. I saw mention that it would be a ranged perk. Why? It makes perfect sense to aim for the head in melee as well. If you come up behind a zombie you have all the time you need to aim carefully and smash its brains out. It seems very strange that you wouldn't have that as a key feature for any attack type.
Every crit on a zombie is considered a headshot, because that’s what people are trying to hit. The “shoot the head” perk gives a higher chance to crit with firearms against zombies and only zombies. Otherwise, at a certain point combat turns into Fallout where everyone pumps up ranged and perception and does nothing but targeted headshots over and over.

Imagine you can do lots of nasty things with car alarms, stereo sets going on when power is restored, church bells being rung by hostiles and so forth to spice things up. Wonder if there will be other mechanics regarding zombie arrival in play as well? Certain amount of zombies arriving each turn regardless of noise, more and more zombies arriving after a set number of turns or a certain time?
Certainly, a very noisy event could constantly lure zombies to the map. We don’t want to do a lot of special case scripting though.

Combat Map
One question I did have; are the maps square, overall?  I couldn't tell when the camera spun around but I saw at least three area exits.
The maps are mostly square, not necessarily the layout. And yes, there were three possible exit areas on the Llano map and zombies can be summoned randomly from any of them.

will you disable container search during battle ? Or restrain it to one or two items a round ? Or will it be as free as on your vid ?
Container mechanics in combat are still being tested. Maybe AP cost like inventory, but it’s too early to balance this one.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2013, 12:02:14 pm »

Updated:

Equipment
Anyway, after reading about some of the situations with multiple story buildings and zombies waiting on the first floor and all of that, I wanted to ask something--is it possible to throw items out of windows?  Since, I've read that you plan to have noisemakers and all of that, I figure that that would be the 'clever' thing to allow.
Thrown items such as firecrackers or noisemakers are used to make noise somewhere away from the player. They are used to check an area for zombies (throw it near an open door, see if anything responds), move zombies somewhere else, or lure zombies next to human enemies. They are created in the lab upgrade. We'll be talking more about thrown items in a future update. 

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
Joedpa82
Neophyte

I feel your soul slipping into meh.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2013, 11:03:29 am »

I donated via kickstarter and didn't gave too much attention  to the updates that was fed via kickstarter.

Now that i have ample time to read and get to know Dead State, i can only envision the greatness that it is.

Ps. Please don't suck. You guys are the only meds for a fallout veteran such as myself.

(Wasteland 2 is another to scratch the itch)
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2013, 08:46:54 pm »

Updated:

Account/Kickstarter
I missed the Kickstarter, where can I pre-order?
You can order (and gift) the standard DRM-free Digital Copy here:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/servlets/Orders.ShoppingCart?CID=7665&PRODUCTID=76650000

Or the Digital Deluxe pack with the DRM-free digital copy, the Dead State Soundtrack MP3s, and the “Making of Dead State” digital book, here:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/servlets/Orders.ShoppingCart?CID=7665&PRODUCTID=76650001

Pre-ordering now guarantees you a lower price than the release price.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: