Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Journal?  (Read 889 times)
cpt_freakout
Neophyte

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:48:41 am »

I know it's maybe too early to get into these kinds of details, but will Dead State use a player Journal to handle quests and stuff? Most recent RPGs have abandoned the good ol' journal in favor of straightforward markers in the map and stuff like that. I actually don't miss the journal much in those, but I believe that an RPG about the end of the world could be made a lot more dramatic, maybe more personalized, with a journal / notes system. It doesn't even have to be a quest log, but maybe just a book where the events your character has been in -or the reactions and relations he or she has from and with other characters- are made into short histories. Hell, if people are made able to make their own entries, maybe it could be something they could trade over the internet, just to compare notes or to read an enjoyable playthrough that is different from one's own. With all the enthusiasm about zombie stories lately, I think it could be an interesting take on the journal without it being a 'regression' to older RPGs. Thoughts?  Smile
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:27:22 am »

I asked something similar to this awhile back, maybe this will answer some questions for you.

On the subject of questions (although this should probably belong more in the Lore thread) will there be any kind of journal/record/history of major in-game events?  In a lot of zombie media I've seen or read, there's usually a sort of "chronicler" character who's in charge of keeping the calendar and things like that.  I'm just thinking it'd be interesting to have a journal somewhere where you can see all the dates on which you found a new location or character, or someone died, or anything important, really.

We have some of these as possibilities for the final journal setup. When characters joined, when they died or left, are a part of the bio. Major events would be recorded as a "quest" state. Locations would have the "last visited" date or "never visited" when choosing them on the map. Anything more than that would show up at the polish stage or a content patch, most likely.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
cpt_freakout
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:21:10 pm »

Cool, thanks for the answer. Seems like it will be a fun thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: