Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dead State Suggestion Thread  (Read 275960 times)
Raufgar
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2012, 12:11:23 am »

This game needs a bad ass survivor who is hunting for sponge cake Twinkie.  Perhaps a random event or one a recruitable NPC.

Fixed that for you Grin
Gurkog
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2012, 01:40:57 am »

This game needs a bad ass survivor who is hunting for sponge cake Twinkie.  Perhaps a random event or one a recruitable NPC.

Fixed that for you Grin

Hehe, I did not want the reference to be that blatant. Smile
Gurkog
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2012, 12:27:01 am »

The end of the game should reveal that your character had a psychotic break when everyone zombified and all of your followers and shelter inhabitants were actually zombies.  That is why survivors were attacking your group all of the time!

meh... that would be too simple.
Baron
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2012, 07:13:01 am »

I was thinking about UFO Enemy Unknown today, and apart from customising your soldiers with equipment and choosing rooms of your base, one of my favourite parts was when your base got invaded. I hope the game will allow for some quality base invasions from both the living and the dead. There is something wonderful, desperate and personal about fighting off a home invasion. Plus it adds an extra strategy to the game of designing choke points or crossfire kills spots, and would be extremely rewarding to see them executed and pay off (or dismally fail). Choices such as do you build flat, which adds additional doors and (boarded up) windows, making it harder to defend. As opposed to, building additional storeys upwards, which would obviously be easier to defend, but could be more costly and have the disadvantage of having the structure's size and lights attract the attention of more zombies, and worse, envious human factions. (Building down would obviously be the best but most expensive option, plus you're automatically trapped and starved out if the enemy controls the ground floor.)

Here's another feature I would love... The Lord of the Flies style divergence, which would suit the political subtext. It would be good if the player can try and hold civilisation together with their choices, ie. tentatively trading with other human factions instead of automatically ambushing them, continuining to wear the police uniform, flying the flag, wearing pants when you get up in the morning. Or alternatively, going all Lord of the Flies and hanging zombies from street poles down the street outside your base to scare away looters, executing dissenters in the group and leaving them in a pile in the front yard, or causing unnecessary carnage either for laughs or excessive overkill (ie. blowing up a gas station to take out a couple of zombies). For the player who went all Mad Max it would great to see the fires and smoke throughout the city as proof that these are really the end of times and that morality and order are dead and buried. Not only would be fun to make these choices, but also when recruiting NPCs who exhibit signs that they would fit well into the group.

"Burn bodies, eat the dead, kill kill kill." - Tricky Nick, Mechwarrior.
"Hired!" - Me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:16:01 am by Baron » Logged
Dreader1962
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2012, 08:48:30 am »

One thing I read about a in a preview of UFO: Enemy Unknown is that all soldiers will have the same number of Action Points.  I don't like that - one thing that is interesting is having characters with different speeds - it's one of the most interesting character development/combat choices.  Do you go for a slow, powerful character or a swift, precise 'ninja' option?  It is even more essential in a game that has deep melee combat.  Tracking all activity via Action Points was one of the interesting things about the Fallout early games.  You had to think of each move and sometimes take risks. 

Variable APs can also be incorporated into an injury system - even locational damage.  Leg damage increases the cost of movement, arm damage increases the cost of attacks, and torso damage reduces overall APs. 

If they are using the core of Age of Decadence, I believe that Dead State will offer this variable for characters.

-------------------------
SFC, US Army (Retired)
Prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse
(either real life/virtual life)
Ravoss
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2012, 08:54:57 am »

The biggest thing for me in a Zombie is game is the human impact of the problem. Walking into a room and finding child zombies surounded by baby and child blankets and a note on the door saying not to go, in the children!

Dramatic scenes and terrible loss are the point of your show, I hope you can hit it home.
tacomarine
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2012, 09:29:16 am »

first of all- dream game. thank you for working on it. absolutely hate running from safe house to safe house killing over a hundred zed each run with a fully auto M16 that my guy just finds in a subway.

now, i'd like to reitterate some ideas:
weapon mods
betrayal of one of your scavvies to another group, and vice-versa (i call survivors scavvies for scavengers. long story, litteraly.)
border outposts (though i'm thinking more like safehouses to expand ops range)
and i think i saw somthing about drugs a page or two back. i can see a few survivors shooting up to try and ignore whats happening

now as for my suggestions.

-teamwork with other scavvie bases (ie. if they like you they'll let one of your teams stay the night at their base, expanding your operational range) - leaving this here cause i don't know what the diplo mechanics or options are fo sure

-groups of 'mercenary' scavvie teams. not the'yes i'll join you for food' mercs. small but good teams that wander around the map that can be hired (not always with food) to pester other scavvies or help clean up your area of zombies

EDIT- figured i'd take out the stuff i felt i needed to type. it'd still be great to see landline but i'm not retyping the damn thing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:21:20 am by tacomarine » Logged
BadVoodoo
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2012, 10:11:37 am »

Scavvie sCavvie my scavvie?

"Twelve hours of work and I still can't sleep. Damn. Days go on and on. They don't end."
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2012, 10:49:50 am »

Welcome tacomarine.  You will find the answers to your suggestions and questions, plus many others, in the dev compilation thread.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2821.0.html

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
tacomarine
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2012, 11:05:47 am »

Welcome tacomarine.  You will find the answers to your suggestions and questions, plus many others, in the dev compilation thread.

yeah i've been lurking here for a while. actually read through that twice before. like i said, i thought i left out all the ones that were already decided on (cept the multi and romance. i knew where the team stood on those)

but your right. the dilpo... i remembered it sounded familier. been on too many fourms. i'll scratch that off.
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2012, 12:16:36 pm »

Welcome tacomarine.  You will find the answers to your suggestions and questions, plus many others, in the dev compilation thread.

yeah i've been lurking here for a while. actually read through that twice before. like i said, i thought i left out all the ones that were already decided on (cept the multi and romance. i knew where the team stood on those)

but your right. the dilpo... i remembered it sounded familier. been on too many fourms. i'll scratch that off.

first of all- dream game. thank you for working on it. absolutely hate running from safe house to safe house killing over a hundred zed each run with a fully auto M16 that my guy just finds in a subway.

now, i'd like to reitterate some ideas:
weapon mods
betrayal of one of your scavvies to another group, and vice-versa (i call survivors scavvies for scavengers. long story, litteraly.)
border outposts (though i'm thinking more like safehouses to expand ops range)
and i think i saw somthing about drugs a page or two back. i can see a few survivors shooting up to try and ignore whats happening

now as for my suggestions.

-teamwork with other scavvie bases (ie. if they like you they'll let one of your teams stay the night at their base, expanding your operational range) - leaving this here cause i don't know what the diplo mechanics or options are fo sure

-groups of 'mercenary' scavvie teams. not the'yes i'll join you for food' mercs. small but good teams that wander around the map that can be hired (not always with food) to pester other scavvies or help clean up your area of zombies

EDIT- figured i'd take out the stuff i felt i needed to type. it'd still be great to see landline but i'm not retyping the damn thing.

No problem.  However I think most of these have been answered as well.

1)  weapon mods

Can weapons be modified?
Only guns take mods. It makes sense if you try to think of ways to upgrade things like axes or crowbars without getting into absurd Dead Rising territory. That doesn't mean guns are better, it makes them way more expensive (in parts/time) than melee.

2) betrayal of one of your scavvies to another group, and vice-versa (i call survivors scavvies for scavengers. long story, litteraly.)

If you mean someone leaving to join another group, or coming from another group, then:

Is it possible to convince other surviving groups to join yours as it's easier to survive in numbers?
Not really, no. Maybe you'll get them to trade, MAYBE one or two might find their way to the shelter eventually, but most groups see you as a threat or potential rival to resources in the area. Larger numbers aren't necessarily an advantage, even in real world situations.

I couldn't find the reference, but I seem to recall a mention that it might be possible for someone to leave your group and join another.

3)border outposts (though i'm thinking more like safehouses to expand ops range)

Good idea, but I don't think they currently have plans for this.  Perhaps in an expansion they will add the ability to set up safehouses.  For now, you must return to the school everynight.

Is the location of the shelter a single set place, or can you choose where to place it at the start of a playthrough?
The Shelter is a one-of-a-kind place, which we did because it's a pretty complex area to construct and we don't have the time to do more than one. It's also because it's supposed to be an important place that it is a secure location that can suitably house multiple people. There are a couple of different fail states for the game, but losing the Shelter or having it compromised is definitely a game over situation.

So I can't go out at night?
Night time isn't out of bounds, it just makes things more difficult and dangerous. There are currently some items to compensate for night penalties, but there's nothing that eliminates all of them. Scavenging during the day makes things much easier, though it would probably be more advantageous to attack a human camp or base at night, since they suffer the same visibility penalties. The major difficulty with night missions is that your characters rely on sight and zombies rely on sound, so zombies gain an advantage when it's dark. The day/night is there mostly to add a sense of urgency to your actions. If you want to push your luck at night, that's completely up to you.

4) and i think i saw somthing about drugs a page or two back. i can see a few survivors shooting up to try and ignore whats happening
This is what we know:
Will stimulant consumables be able to stave off fatigue, such as energy drinks and candy, removing fatigue for a small period?
Energy drinks and caffeine pills are planned for. They should remove Fatigue if you have the status.

If you can take energy drinks and caffeine pills, will there be anything like steroids, or pills that affect perception/intelligence/etc?
No instant stat modifying items - we're not fans of items that allow you to cheat your stats during key moments instead of making your character work within their limitations and the player's advancement path.

No word on if there will be drug luxury items that some npcs will want. However there was mention of alcohol, so I suppose it is possible to have someone be an alcoholic.

I realize the next two are suggestions you hope they will add, but I think they will not be in the initial release.

5)-teamwork with other scavvie bases (ie. if they like you they'll let one of your teams stay the night at their base, expanding your operational range) - leaving this here cause i don't know what the diplo mechanics or options are fo sure

This doesn't directly address this, but indicates their thinking on the attitude of other groups.

Will you be able to team up, commerce, be friend with other group, exchange character of abilities for projects ?
You can get other groups to trust you enough to not kill you, maybe trade with you, and maybe open up a few new gameplay options, but they won't join your shelter or loan you new NPCs. You are the competition, after all.

For now I think the teamwork will be limited to not being hostile and limited trading.  I believe the thinking is that they would not want to help that much as that would allow you to scavenge in their area, reducing what they could scavenge.

6)groups of 'mercenary' scavvie teams. not the'yes i'll join you for food' mercs. small but good teams that wander around the map that can be hired (not always with food) to pester other scavvies or help clean up your area of zombies

It seems you have already seen this, but I'll post it for others to reference.

Are there mercenary NPC's?
Well, if you think of food as money and the fact that every ally has to be supplied with food or they will be upset, everybody's kind of a mercenary.

This answer plus the one for five above indicates that there will be little help of any kind from outside groups.  If you think about it , most people would simply clean up an area and loot it themselves.  You would need something unique, that could be found nowhere else, to pay them with.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:19:43 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
vuechangz
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2012, 02:58:59 am »

Can anything be made into a melee weapon like breaking/dismantling a table to make the legs into a bludgening weapon? Or to board things?
Raufgar
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2012, 03:30:33 am »

Can anything be made into a melee weapon like breaking/dismantling a table to make the legs into a bludgening weapon? Or to board things?

Impromptu melee weapons do not look like they are in, though it won't be a stretch to get them in. As for barricades, there will be options to increase the overall protection of the main shelter, but no word yet on whether you can make some ad-hoc barriers during your sojourns out for "materiel collection", nor whether you can barricade yourself inside an abandoned house/shop for the night (unlikely, since the devs did mention that you cannot rest outside of the main shelter).
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:37 am »

Impromptu melee weapons do not look like they are in, though it won't be a stretch to get them in. As for barricades, there will be options to increase the overall protection of the main shelter, but no word yet on whether you can make some ad-hoc barriers during your sojourns out for "materiel collection", nor whether you can barricade yourself inside an abandoned house/shop for the night (unlikely, since the devs did mention that you cannot rest outside of the main shelter).

It will not be possible to barricade yourself in a building outside of the shelter.  You can lock doors and hide, possibly overnight if needed and if you think you can take the fatigue hit, but that's it.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Maeon
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2012, 05:30:36 am »

During outside expedition, if you already have few infected NPC's party, it would make sense to set them to the front/vanguard, or at least to not retreat them step behind when low health (prone to be infected) since they already are.

If they survive well done, if not it would appear as a minor loss.

It would sound a cynical and unfriendly calculation. But what if their health situation could be worst, I'm talking about superinfection, occurrencing after (x) infective bites making antibiotics traitment to increase proportionally in order to stabilize.

I guess it would prevent player to charge zombies with so called infected-and-so-immune NPC

[...] we are looking into localizing the game into a few other languages after release.
     I am looking into purchasing the game after localization.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: