Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dead State Suggestion Thread  (Read 275964 times)
veryinky
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 16, 2014, 02:04:03 pm »

The only thing I remember Elaine counseling about was Getz, and her suggestion of talking to him doesn't work. Only thing that does work is filling his gob with about 6 units of sleeping pills.

It would be nice if Counselor/Psychologist was an actual job. 12 hours a day and +1 mood to the lowest mood person in the shelter.

Though I do wish Elaine did check up on people, especially the less stable ones like Clifford, Jeniffer and Fiona.

Oh and an other Busy Work job might be Security, just to prevent thefts from storage/armory. I mean I expected Vic to be on top of that because he's always standing outside the storage room door, but apparently he let someone steal food or antibiotics or someone stole a gun. That and stopping fights like what might happen with Lane/Aggro. Nevermind the whole Clifford thing. Or stop Regina from stealing stuff from Todd. Or Effram from being Effram. Or Grant. Or whatever. So yeah, I'd totally assign Vic or Joel, or both, to "Security" duty.

Still wish there was a "Stop being a thieving Lady Coyote Regina or I will shoot you." dialog choice that made Regina stop being Regina. That or one that allowed me to shoot her.
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 16, 2014, 02:50:30 pm »

I'd like to see an Elaine-specific "Counselor" job rather than just Hospitality (which is supposed to unlock with Jennifer anyway).  Since she's not a psychologist, I think it'd be interesting to talk with her about the mental health of other characters, since she's not under any obligation to keep the information between her and her "patients."

There's a lot she could do besides worry about Getz; consoling Ryan (or any character who knew an ally who dies), mediating between people during arguments, etc.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Bsadzewicz
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 20, 2014, 11:46:43 am »

might I suggest when you're closer to launch hitting up these guys for a press copy as I love their videos.
its a youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeJTUiYP64xtfzpL-AagZGA
with excellent let's plays and Look see's for newer games, they've done them for several indie devs as well as they're a niche group and don't just go through the only AAA and highly popular games views moneygrab cycle a lot of the channels go for.

Unit Lost GREAT BRITISH GAMING! At the helm of this flagship of pure win are Stylosa and Kirioth, two mad Brits with the minerals to become number one! But what do we make?
♥ INSANE Let's Play videos! We normally make our own crazy back story up and go full crazy!
♥ Look See! Raw gaming first impressions!
♥ HOTFIX! Gaming topical debate show!
♥ FACEOFF FRIDAY! Sty Vs. Kiri
Join our gaming community forums - http://www.unitlost.com
We also Live Stream over here http://www.twitch.tv/unitlost
Make sure you follow us on twitter too! @unitlostgaming (sty) @kirioth (kiri :p)
Business enquiries - pr[at]unitlost[dot]com
For business inquiries: pr@unitlost.com  

*edit* they will not accept requests/to do videos if it states positive review only or has demands limited what they can talk about as far as gameplay IE. If you say they have to praise X feature when X feature might not be that good.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:52:08 am by Bsadzewicz » Logged
Kommando18
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 20, 2014, 12:50:04 pm »

Hi everyone.

First of all I would like to congratulate Doublebear on producing an addictive game that has sapped 30+ hours and counting of my life Grin
and you've done what a lot of triple A+ games have failed to do, besides producing an amazingly detailed and in-depth zombie RPG with satisfying gameplay and immersion to balance each other out, you've even managed to include humour and a lot of character development (for the sake of the people who haven't discovered some of the character's plots, I won't discuss them) but there are moments that have spun my head around when I wake up in-game after a successful raid to secure supplies, to find one of the survivors just broke down from insanity or pressure. Heartbreaking stuff.

But on with the actual point of this post: a few things made me think it'd be an improvement (you may disagree) to the game, and to go straight into it, I will say firstly:
A quest log/journal that's relevant to specific survivor's needs and wants, and not just on the status of the school.

Some characters request specific items or request to join the party to visit a specific location, and when you've managed to survive for so long, your map tends to get a little full. I had difficulty identifying new locations added to the map, thus I'm sure I've missed out on a quest or two, or have failed to visit a location with a relevant character. The inclusion of a journal would make it easier to slip into the leader role and micro-manage everyone's requests and demands without forgetting them and risk losing favour with some of the decisive sub-leaders your character meets.

Secondly, the ability to repeat/loop the job allocation given to a survivor.

When you've extend your family with the inclusion of survivors that you meet along the way, the micro-managing in the shelter tends to get a little bogged down with the constant reallocation of roles amongst the survivors, when a very set few meet the needs of specific tasks: I.G, Renee is a qualified vet and has a high medical skill then someone say.. Joel. If I could allocate Renee to the infirmary, and not have to worry about reapplying her to the same role the next day, it'd ease the level of micro-managing hassle you get when dealing with 10+ survivors. I'd like to think it'd also add to the immersion as that creates the idea of having a dedicated role within the group, if Renee tells you the next day that she can't work for 24hrs due to illness or fatigue, the player would be hard pressed to find a replacement or deny Renee a break, and risk angering her and losing out on her favour.

And thirdly, the ability to interact with looters and bandits.

You gents and ladies at DoubleBear have probably already considered this, so I may just be reiterating on what's already been suggested with these ideas: but I like the idea that your character can be morally grey in some areas when it comes to roleplaying, and I think this can be solidified by dealing, negotiating and even siding with bandit and looter factions. It'd create a reason for certain groups to hate you, like the US military who is trying to restore peace, if you choose to side with bandits and looters. The rebel factions would hate you if you decided to side with local police departments and vigilante groups who are trying to quell looters and bandit anarchists.

Ultimately, this game has been my best purchase of 2014, especially since it's still in Beta so the content keeps flowing in! Besides the 3 points I've mentioned, I love the RPG aspects to it, the character development, the immersion, so more of all of the above DoubleBear!  Wink

Thank you to DoubleBear and all the fans of, since Kickstarter for making this game an absolute beast to play.  Salute

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:36:34 pm by Kommando18 » Logged
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 20, 2014, 01:41:50 pm »

You can already interact with some groups on the map, but you're not going to be able to have dialogues with every random looter or bandit.  The reason for this is twofold; 1) the player represents competition for much needed supplies, and there's no law in Texas anymore.  Very few people are going to want to talk to begin with when they can just attack you for your supplies or to defend their own.  2) It's a game, and an RPG at that.  I can't think of any RPG that lets you talk to any random enemy.  There's Neo Scavenger, but that's really more of a special ability than actual dialogue.  Additionally, the sheer volume of scripting and programming which would be required for dialogues with enemies is simply not possible in the time left before release.

As for your other suggestions, these are pretty frequent requests so I think it's likely we'll see them sooner or later.

Thanks for your support and feedback.  Salute

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
aoirann
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 20, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »

You can already interact with some groups on the map, but you're not going to be able to have dialogues with every random looter or bandit.  The reason for this is twofold; 1) the player represents competition for much needed supplies, and there's no law in Texas anymore.  Very few people are going to want to talk to begin with when they can just attack you for your supplies or to defend their own.  2) It's a game, and an RPG at that.  I can't think of any RPG that lets you talk to any random enemy.  There's Neo Scavenger, but that's really more of a special ability than actual dialogue.  Additionally, the sheer volume of scripting and programming which would be required for dialogues with enemies is simply not possible in the time left before release.

As for your other suggestions, these are pretty frequent requests so I think it's likely we'll see them sooner or later.

Thanks for your support and feedback.  Salute

Well a major part of the Shin Megami Tensei games are based on talking to demons to fight for you and/or giving you items. However most of the combat gameplay is based around that.

Can you hear me? Can you see me?
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 20, 2014, 08:06:15 pm »

Well a major part of the Shin Megami Tensei games are based on talking to demons to fight for you and/or giving you items. However most of the combat gameplay is based around that.

That's still not dialogue, though, more of a special ability; use this technique to "speak" to an enemy and recruit them, etc.  Like in Neo Scavenger, it's just an ability - it has a certain chance to intimidate or scare opponents, but there's no conversation or variety.

Dim
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 22, 2014, 02:01:11 am »

In the late part of the game it's became pretty annoying to start every day with setting guards, chef, farmers etc. Some kind of work lock could be quite handy.
Little Athan
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 26, 2014, 06:46:26 am »

What about five man team, silencers (but reduce damage), permanent job assignment (this it said already), your teammates gain moral if the like the job they do, or loses if they don't. male attack,strength and ap (you choose which one) level up from gym by some amount of hours, e.g. 0->1 need 2 hours and from 2->3 12 hours. Maybe an armory so that you can manage the weapons and armor from there, or put those abilities to the right click at the stock (e.g load/unload weapons or sent to "name"). a message that tells you when you have available skill. have the npcs move around or put them to the places that they work. The hidden places that pop up (e.g. roadkill) may have re-spawn. And have the dog as addition to the team, not as party member. (only attacks and help to find more loot or show you were the enemies are, not to carry staff. staff that dogs do).
And some bugs: well disappear after upgrade, i have 3 man party after one mission that the guy, who stays outside, left from the shelter. some places with loot don't open(only the sound plays), zombies attacked my fence (both wire and wood) and i can't repair them.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:53:05 am by Little Athan » Logged
John Smith
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 02, 2014, 12:50:46 pm »

Not sure if this is already in the game as I haven't tested it. If the shelter fence gets reduced to zero is there a battle inside the shelter with all the shelter survivors taking part to defend it?
aoirann
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 02, 2014, 05:46:44 pm »

Not sure if this is already in the game as I haven't tested it. If the shelter fence gets reduced to zero is there a battle inside the shelter with all the shelter survivors taking part to defend it?

No. Davis wheels up to you pretty much screaming "YOU USELESS IDIOTS! ZOMBIES ARE IN THE SCHOOL" And then you feel a cold hand on your neck and everything goes black.

Can you hear me? Can you see me?
FCesario21
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 04, 2014, 01:39:44 pm »

First of all, congratilations for the amazing game, while i play i really feel like i'm in "The Walking Dead", playing all night long, my heart bumbs faster. It iss really amazing the way we play it

Few suggestions I do that would make me even more immerse in the game, like I was really there, and would need to carefully plan every move and strategy before engaging in a combat with looters or walking in a market full of zombies.

-Permanent death, I think in a game like this, permanent death is a must, cause if not, I will never have I member with the virus, all I need is to load and play again the part my member was biten. And I don't plan that much before entering in a house or a market, if things go wrong, all we need is a load. (If Permenent death is impossible I would say at least you we should have a limit of 1 save for each week or something like it).

-Time should pass while we are in the areas, could run slowly, but should run, because if not I for example manage to kill all the zombies almost everywhere just for the safety or for small loots.(This would make a lot more sense toguether with permanent death).

-Ramdomization, I would like to see a higher ramdomization in what you find, where you find, where the looters are, where the zombies are. (I Think it is impossible since the game will be full release soon).

-Perks that you would only get combining skills (Just for the main character), like level 5 leadership + level 7 negociating give new bonus (In my opnion this is really great for making the character more unique and very good to involve player with it's character).

-Expected time of travel mentioned. Soo players can plan better their time.

DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 04, 2014, 01:58:11 pm »

Glad you like the game.  The final release will have an Ironman mode where the only save you get is an autosave at the start of each day.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
Fireflyaboutu
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 04, 2014, 05:59:30 pm »

One thing that bothers me a little is that, there seems to be a moral issue/theme with the radio dj talking about how people are killing each other over the tiniest bits of of loot, and how un-human that is, but at the same time, the player has to not only kill zombies, not only kill gang members and other hostiles, but also innocent people in homes and businesses. (and who wouldn't be hostile if you broke into their home!) I just wish there was an option to procure everything you need without going down the murderous looter path. But maybe that's too unrealistic.. I dunno..

On the plus side, I love the difficult decisions that the player is put into..basically you just can't please everyone, like real life. I think it's probably the best thing about the game. I guess I am  just saying I would like to see that decision making process extend to the option to not kill "innocents" (grey lines I know)... and still be able to survive.
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 04, 2014, 07:08:49 pm »

One thing that bothers me a little is that, there seems to be a moral issue/theme with the radio dj talking about how people are killing each other over the tiniest bits of of loot, and how un-human that is, but at the same time, the player has to not only kill zombies, not only kill gang members and other hostiles, but also innocent people in homes and businesses. (and who wouldn't be hostile if you broke into their home!)

Yep!  This is one of the major themes of the game, he who fights monsters etc.

I just wish there was an option to procure everything you need without going down the murderous looter path. But maybe that's too unrealistic.. I dunno..

This is totally an option!  If you don't want to kill people, there's absolutely nothing in the game that forces you to do so (other than the potential for a game over if you're just going to stand still while people attack you! Wink ).  There isn't any kind of morality slider in the game, and you're not going to be judged for murdering some dude for a can of peas, so it's totally up to you to decide if that's worth it to you.  It's definitely possible to avoid needless killing, there are plenty of supplies to be found around the map in places that don't have human enemies.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: