Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dead State Suggestion Thread  (Read 275963 times)
melkathi
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: September 03, 2014, 05:10:43 pm »

We can have horses, we can have cars. Why can't we ride a bicycle? Tongue
speaker2
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 03, 2014, 05:48:17 pm »

We can have horses, we can have cars. Why can't we ride a bicycle? Tongue

Specialy that some bike are create to carry some heavy stuff around and is more fast that on foot it will be major benefit.
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 04, 2014, 09:44:48 am »

Apocalyptic Trade debate moved to http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,4650.msg120643.html

Please keep this thread to Suggestions.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
SwampRatKing
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:53 pm »

Suggestion:  I think something might be around that corner...

Nydia, my party leader, approaches the back entrance to the Bargain Owl superstore.  She has led her team carefully around the parking lot, taken out zombies by stealth, and now they're ready to pick the lock.  It doesn't appear that the place has been totally ransacked, though there are some vehicles parked very near to the rear.  Who is going to be inside?  Zombies of looters?  Is the entryway going to be clear of hostiles, or will I be shot or grabbed the moment I walk inside?

Currently, the only way to find out is to open the door and peer inside.  Whatever looter or zombie is lurking about then gets a chance to notice me.

What if, however, I could stop and listen at the door to gather a little more information?  Perhaps a notification of "You hear the sounds of shuffling feet, and a soft gurgling groan from inside..." or "The distinct sound of somebody rummaging through cans can be heard within".

This would allow me to build up a little extra awareness before stepping inside.
SwampRatKing
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 07, 2014, 06:38:10 pm »

Suggestion:  Ramping up the Difficulty, and providing variety in combat

Right now, I have two strategies for dealing with hostiles.

For Zombies, I leave most of my party behind and send my leader to sneak around the map with her railroad hammer.  She moves carefully from zombie to zombie, sneaking up behind them and bopping them (fatally) on the head.  After this, I move the rest of my crew in to gather loot.  In the case of a clumped horde, I find a choke point and draw them over.  After I explore the area, I walk to the exit and leave.

For Looters, I send my leader in to Wallop the biggest threat to the ground while two followers shoot the other baddies, and the third hustles about healing allies.  I bludgeon to death the few zombies that have gathered near the exits, then leave.

So far, I haven't had to vary these tactics at all, which is fine.  We're still in the early beta and the game is definitely enjoyable.  But I'm finding that combat is rarely challenging and when it is difficult, it is also totally avoidable.  I'm almost never caught off guard.

First, I suggest that zombies and looters move about the map.  This would make scouting much more dangerous!  I would no longer be certain that my way back would be clear, and I would have to take into account the direction that various zombies are already moving while planning my route in to smash some heads.

Second, I suggest that zombies occasionally fill in from the maps edge, even when there hasn't been any commotion on the map.  This enforces the idea that there is always a lurking threat somewhere on the map, and the only safe place to be is at home in the school.

Thirdly, I suggest that more zombies wait in sneakier places.  Perhaps there is a zombie snacking on a rat that he found sandwiched between two dumpsters.  Maybe somebody died in restroom stall number three, and lurches out from seemingly nowhere. 

Fourthly, I suggest there be noise hazards.  Perhaps an area is littered with empty bottles and broken glass.  Walking through wouldn't make a lot of noise, but it might do enough to alert nearby zeds or looters.  Perhaps, while exploring a rundown farm house, one of my followers steps on a rotting plank and crashes through the floor, making a loud noise that startles a small herd of zeds feasting on cows left in the barn.  I have to pull her out while they descend on my position.  Maybe a dead zombie is lurking in a parked car.  When I walk past the windshield, she attempts to lunge at me.  Unable to remove her seatbelt, she simply sticks her arms forward and unwittingly wails on the horn, bringing more zeds onto the scene.  You know, surprising dramatic stuff that lends towards an "Oh ****" situation.
Calanen
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 09, 2014, 12:20:59 pm »

Randomising the location of loot, and people at locations like in Fallout, might be some extra work, but really adds something to the playability of the game - as you might have cleared an area, but then a gang comes in and decides, we are going to make this our new base now there is no one here. Also having the looters and others in randomised places, so you never really know whether a building is empty or has bad people in it would be good.

I know there are still special encounters that may need to be static, but for everything else you could randomise them.

Also - the cops are likely to have a lot more access to things, such as patrol cars and police equipment or the police armoury more than anyone else. The cops during an apocalypse have a big leg up on where to go to get things, including, if the know of criminal stashes such as weapons, or even just a local gun nut who had a permit for fully auto weapons.  Perhaps some storylines where the cops help either find criminal stashes or their own stashes, like the SWAT base, or even retrieve a patrol car for the team. The cops also would know the location of every town or place of interest on the map, as would any other character that lives in Splendid.
aoirann
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 09, 2014, 12:36:06 pm »

Randomising the location of loot, and people at locations like in Fallout, might be some extra work, but really adds something to the playability of the game - as you might have cleared an area, but then a gang comes in and decides, we are going to make this our new base now there is no one here. Also having the looters and others in randomised places, so you never really know whether a building is empty or has bad people in it would be good.

I know there are still special encounters that may need to be static, but for everything else you could randomise them.

Also - the cops are likely to have a lot more access to things, such as patrol cars and police equipment or the police armoury more than anyone else. The cops during an apocalypse have a big leg up on where to go to get things, including, if the know of criminal stashes such as weapons, or even just a local gun nut who had a permit for fully auto weapons.  Perhaps some storylines where the cops help either find criminal stashes or their own stashes, like the SWAT base, or even retrieve a patrol car for the team. The cops also would know the location of every town or place of interest on the map, as would any other character that lives in Splendid.

I think that was the final stretch goal. They didn't get quite enough money to do that.

Can you hear me? Can you see me?
aoirann
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 12, 2014, 08:16:01 am »

Probably too late for this but I figured that the gardens could ramp up. I figured in the first few weeks the only plants giving food are the ones that were already producing food that were stolen from someone's garden or a hardware store. As the weeks go on more and more plants are ready for harvest and/or producing food. Anyone who has had tomato plants know that they keep producing tomatoes through out the growing season. Also anyone who has grown zucchini knows that you get so many zucchinis that you can't give them away with only one plant.
/Also maybe a randomizer like one week it's a bad week and not too much was grown. (Can be stopped by farmers) and another week there is a bumper crop. (More farmers help.)

Can you hear me? Can you see me?
veryinky
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 12, 2014, 08:36:57 am »

Probably far too late for this one too, but I've always thought that a drone/robot would be great to have in a zombie apocalypse. Can't be infected, more or less immune to unarmed attacks. In Jagged Alliance 2, Madlab's robot took up a party member space, and required an other party member to wear the controller headset to use it. On the upside it was very resilient to damage, didn't bleed and had to be repaired instead of healed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 12, 2014, 09:26:58 am »

Probably far too late for this one too, but I've always thought that a drone/robot would be great to have in a zombie apocalypse. Can't be infected, more or less immune to unarmed attacks. In Jagged Alliance 2, Madlab's robot took up a party member space, and required an other party member to wear the controller headset to use it. On the upside it was very resilient to damage, didn't bleed and had to be repaired instead of healed.

Waaaay back in the Kickstarter video, one of the things that was mentioned was "No robots."

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
veryinky
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 12, 2014, 01:07:33 pm »

Waaaay back in the Kickstarter video, one of the things that was mentioned was "No robots."
Awww. So much for better living through technology. Today I realized that a gun wielding robot wouldn't be necessary to fight zombies, some simple RobotWars style wheeled robot with a spinning chain/blade at the top could be brutally effective.

Then there's the whole watchtower thing, horrible placement and appearance aside, is fine for bronze age defenses but the school (in theory) has electricity: video cameras. Put them on the corners of the school's roof and one person could monitor every approach. Could put a field of motion sensors around the school for extra protection. Trip wires?

Then for full Syrian Rebel; video camera + rifle + servos on a pole on the roof of the school. Doug would probably love using a gamepad to fight looters/zombies from the safety of the school library.
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 12, 2014, 01:39:48 pm »

Awww. So much for better living through technology. Today I realized that a gun wielding robot wouldn't be necessary to fight zombies, some simple RobotWars style wheeled robot with a spinning chain/blade at the top could be brutally effective.

Then there's the whole watchtower thing, horrible placement and appearance aside, is fine for bronze age defenses but the school (in theory) has electricity: video cameras. Put them on the corners of the school's roof and one person could monitor every approach. Could put a field of motion sensors around the school for extra protection. Trip wires?

Then for full Syrian Rebel; video camera + rifle + servos on a pole on the roof of the school. Doug would probably love using a gamepad to fight looters/zombies from the safety of the school library.

When you run out of fuel and the power goes out, all that work you put in is worthless.  Now if we could get some solar power hooked up, it would be a different story.  Although energy would be at premium and you would need to ration it carefully.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
veryinky
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 12, 2014, 10:40:36 pm »

All the more reason to keep the generator running; as it is the main reason to power the generator is to power the Air Conditioning which helps with morale. Morale is important but not critical.

There is solar power as a level 6 Mechanics perk, "Solar Power" which reduces fuel use by the generator by 50%. Combined with Science 3 for Inventor for +1 fuel a day means a net loss of only 1 fuel instead of 4 (presuming no car use).

Being able to ration the generator use (like a small menu with options to turn on/off features which consume power/fuel would be really nice)

Beyond that, guard duty should last until the next morning. I find it a bit annoying that 14 zombies or 4 looters attacked the fence damaging it. Would like it if I had the option to send out the people assigned as guards to fight things that attack the fence before they damage it. Make 4 very simple maps for north/east/south/west of the shelter and put the zombies or looters on it programmed to walk towards the shelter fence edge. Would be a reason to equip guards. Plus I'd like to loot those zombies/looters.

Finally, a Pred Town shelter upgrade. Looter/Coyote heads on spikes surrounding the shelter. Reduces attacks by living humans, reduces shelter morale by 30 points a day.
speaker2
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 13, 2014, 10:54:57 am »

Finally, a Pred Town shelter upgrade. Looter/Coyote heads on spikes surrounding the shelter. Reduces attacks by living humans, reduces shelter morale by 30 points a day.

I got a better idea, put speaker closed to the fence and when living attacker come you put this:

And after look them run away and never come back. lol
Greyman
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 13, 2014, 11:48:57 am »

You need to get a decent quality CCTV system to reliably pick out movement in poor lighting, too, and they aren't always as low-maintenance as you'd like; in addition, if you don't have someone who knows what they're doing, the placement will leave blindspots.  A watchtower isn't great either, but a human sentry can sometimes pick out sounds or secondary indications (disturbed birds) that people will tend to miss over CCTV.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: