Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dead State Suggestion Thread  (Read 275959 times)
CounselorPally
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2013, 07:26:35 pm »

I'm still reading through the "Questions for the Dead State Team" (QftDST) thread, and that's taking up my time. I will read the suggestion thread next. One of the things I thought about at PAX was the thought of a Prequel and I see Brian joking with people about a prequel on page [6] of the QftDST thread. Basically where they are stories before the apocalypse happens and you have to do mundane tasks. Smile

I apologize if there is even more info about this I haven't found yet, I'm late to the "game" so to speak and still have tons of reading up to do.

So much of the mechanics of this game sound like they would be fun even if it really pretends like it isn't even a zombie game in the first place.

I think it'd be fun if the game started out just as a camping trip to introduce all of the mechanics and functionality.

You have to get food, cook food, familiarize yourself with politics / behavior, maybe fortify a little bit, forage a little bit, some people come try to steal your stuff and you don't know why... people stop by and tell you "rumors" of cannibalism... Maybe a storm comes and you have to prepare for that... I know I'm not a good writer or anything, it just sounds FUN.

So I totally understand it's probably not feasible or maybe even the direction that the staff would want to go in. It just sounds fun. Little camping sim turning into a full fledged zombie apocalypse.  I think it'd be a blast to actually have a prequel camping mission. I'm a huge fan of camping and it's some of my fondest memories as a kid.  State of Decay of course begins mid camping mission but it's only mentioned and unfortunately never expanded or capitalized upon further than the initial setting and a reason for them being out there.

Another one that comes to mind is maybe some kind of prison riot prequel/ side story that is of similar consequence where you have to defend a small guard station from a prison riot (are they rioting to get away from something??) or something to that effect. If it wouldn't take horribly long, I think it could be a lot of fun and engage people into the mechanics. I realize of course that Walking Dead has a similar-ish situation but after the fact but is just a coincidence with my idea. I've always had a fascination with the survival aspects of riots either outdoor or indoor.

Anyway. Tongue Totally cool with it being out of scope. Just wanted to write it down because it sounds really, really fun. I know if this was used too much it would draw people out of immersion but it can be fun. StarCraft 2 HotS comes to mind where there are optional side quests that are very environment-specific goals to reach. Also I believe Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 allowed you to go back in time to act out prior story arcs instead of just reading about them. Was a lot more fun to act out the back story.

So this could even be used to tell people's backstories. I don't know. Or mini DLC packs or mini challenges.  Salute

Another that came to mind would be a mini DLC or something that was nothing but a huge storage facility fairly untouched by looters due to heavy locks on each internal doors. That would be so much fun. :>
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:45:31 pm by CounselorPally » Logged

My youtube channel has quite a few Dead State vids on it. You can come check it out if you want. http://www.youtube.com/chancepaladin
ChristoperWhittington
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2014, 03:53:29 am »

If Texas has the sunshine I think it has, then a solar cooker out of tinfoil is also a real possibility

The problem with this is Texas is a big place, with four distinct climes.  I'd need to look at the little map they showed at one point to see which one is the focal point; West Texas is not the whole state.

Solely focusing on Solar as an alternative will not be a smart thing, since cloud cover or a drop in temperature will render them unreliable (p.s. can we have weather conditions in the game please? Heheh). To keep things going, it is always best to have other alternatives to your alternative (below are only basic details, can be expanded on further):

1) Solar Energy -
solar panels and Solar Thermal. Weakness : no sun means no solar.
2) Wind Energy - Windmills, either standalone or rooftop. Weakness : no wind means no power.
3) Water - Water Wheel. Weakness : needs constant, natural running water, like a brook, stream, or river. Can get clogged.
4) Thermal - Heat Transference. Weakness : only works if you're over a hot spot and/or you have a deep enough hole.

and lastly :

5) Human Power - or Z-powered wheel, heheh Evil. Weakness : fatigue for humans, and possibly degradation of z-subject over time. Not to mention the security systems that need to be in place to keep z-subject from chewing on humans. Now if we can just get several threadmills on the outside of the fence, we'll have free power each time a zombie tried to claw at fence  Evil

I do agree with you.. Just using solar energy is not enough.. On cloudy days you are not able to generate any power..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:04:20 am by ChristoperWhittington » Logged
Bsadzewicz
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2014, 09:14:13 am »

I would suggest have Magazines for non Bolt-action firearms as an item (aka if you only have 2 12rd mags for a pistol after firing and emptying the first magazine it only costs 1 ap to reload aka eject + quickly feeding in a new magazine however after emptying both magazines it costs 1 AP for every 2 or 3 rounds you load into an empty magazine +1 ap to feed the magazine back into whatever firearm you fire as that would make it much more realistic for a survival game like this) this would cause a more realistic and tactical approach to using firearms as its not really realistic to come into an area pick up a rifle off somebody that has one magazine in it and to be able to reload that one magazine as quickly as you can with some games and start firing again so soon if you know what you're doing you could probably reload a 30 rd magazine in 30-45 seconds if you have the ammo right there and no pressure, however if zombies are trying to close in and eat your face + you have to dig through your pack for your ammo box + feed rounds into the magazine its highly unrealistic to have a base 3-5ap to reload.
-plus you have to think that under pressure most people (aka civilians like this game is about not trained military personnel) couldn't feed every bullet in perfectly while having a horde chase them down or while being shot at.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:27:46 am by Bsadzewicz » Logged
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2014, 10:22:37 am »

I would suggest have Magazines for non Bolt-action firearms as an item (aka if you only have 2 12rd mags for a pistol after firing and emptying the first magazine it only costs 1 ap to reload aka eject + quickly feeding in a new magazine however after emptying both magazines it costs 1 AP for every 2 or 3 rounds you load into an empty magazine +1 ap to feed the magazine back into whatever firearm you fire as that would make it much more realistic for a survival game like this) this would cause a more realistic and tactical approach to using firearms as its not really realistic to come into an area pick up a rifle off somebody that has one magazine in it and to be able to reload that one magazine as quickly as you can with some games and start firing again so soon if you know what you're doing you could probably reload a 30 rd magazine in 30-45 seconds if you have the ammo right there and no pressure, however if zombies are trying to close in and eat your face + you have to dig through your pack for your ammo box + feed rounds into the magazine its highly unrealistic to have a base 3-5ap to reload.
-plus you have to think that under pressure most people (aka civilians like this game is about not trained military personnel) couldn't feed every bullet in perfectly while having a horde chase them down or while being shot at.

While realistic, I would be surprised if they dealt with magazines.  Most people don't want to deal with things like that and would find it tedious.  Just look at most FPSs which let you reload while halfway through a magazine without losing any rounds.  Heck, the average person doesn't even know the difference between a clip and a magazine, much less think about how many spare magazines they are carrying.

I think the best we can hope for is firearms with internal magazines taking longer to reload than ones with external magazines.  I don't even know if they are even dealing with that in DS to be honest.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:27:27 am by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
Bsadzewicz
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2014, 10:35:49 am »

yeah I know it's highly unlikely to happen without some serious modding after the full release but it was just a suggestion Grin
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 08, 2014, 02:14:25 pm »

The only way we kind of mimic this is the reload times for some weapons. Weapons that require complex reloading - for example a hunting shotgun, which needs to be opened, loaded with shells, and closed again - requires more time to reload than a police shotgun which has a different mechanism for loading shells. Most of the time, weapon balance trumps realism, but we tried to factor in difficulty of loading into each gun's reload cost.
Bsadzewicz
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2014, 03:09:22 pm »

The only way we kind of mimic this is the reload times for some weapons. Weapons that require complex reloading - for example a hunting shotgun, which needs to be opened, loaded with shells, and closed again - requires more time to reload than a police shotgun which has a different mechanism for loading shells. Most of the time, weapon balance trumps realism, but we tried to factor in difficulty of loading into each gun's reload cost.

thanks for the response that does make sense for balancing purposes though I guess on full release I'll be attempting to brush up on my modding skills  Grin
Bsadzewicz
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2014, 05:13:56 pm »

Don't know if you're implementing this location already or not but...(just read known issues with early access) if Abilene is in the game might I suggest a Dyess Air force base area as a possible scavenging/visitable area it is located right there in Abilene (I was stationed there).
Clearik
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2014, 02:15:13 am »

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but it would be nice if perhaps every so often a "trader" of sorts comes by, and allows you to trade objects for food, fuel, etc. People accrue so many items in the game, with nothing really to do with them.
Clawdius_Talonious
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2014, 02:18:34 am »

I've just started the First Seven Days demo, and I just wanted to post and say that the Radio just after you leave the basement it a bit hard to notice, if it were on the other side of the desk partition it would be much more visible, and if it looked more like a radio, perhaps even a comically oversized 80's boom-box it would be extremely obvious. A bit of text directly over the radio itself would help, and I suppose would be more easily implemented. As it stood it seemed rather difficult to discover anything that remotely looked like a radio and it took me going into the office where I had seen the message so often and highlighting everything nearby until I happened across it. Perhaps it's a bit late and I might be tired, but I rotated the camera and looked at the object in question and it doesn't exactly scream radio and there was nothing nearby that really caught the eye and encouraged me to highlight the appropriate set piece.
servant of asmadi
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2014, 05:57:11 am »

So I just finished round #4 of the demo (still havent actually finished the 7 days as I usually get myself killed at some point by pushing my luck too far Smile )

Anyways, I made a list of things that may want to get looked at. I will compile more as I continue to play through.

-It is far too easy to hit your own allies in combat. When fighting some zombies, a zombie was behind one of my characters and when I clicked on it I attacked my ally instead of the zombie. Could you turn friendly fire off or at least put up a prompt before attacking an ally?

-Please reveal in inside of a building when you stand infront of a doorway as opposed to being inside the actual building. Its a small thing but it makes navigation alot easier, depending on the angle and building its a lot easier to get in person infront of a door rather than inside of it.

-Ive noticed when working in the inventory, particularily in the schools store room the cursor reacts to the enviroment as opposed to the inventory screen IE turning into the stairway cursor

-Please allow switching of chracters in battle, quite often its one characters turn but they can't move to the enemy becuase one of the allys is standing in the way and theres no way through. I can only switch to that ally by ending the current characters turn

- Is it possible to allow diagonal movement? like the suggestion above to help with characters being trapped

-A random glitch occured in one game where Joel did not join the team for supplies to fix the fence on the first mission. I stopped by Llano downtown before going to the hardware store on that one and noticed he wasnt with us. Didnt see him again until I got back to the school, even though his dialogue did come up when we were going to the hardware store despite him not being there. Probably just a random glitch, but thought id mention it in case others had the same.

-Please allow switching of characters when in the inventory, and allow access to an unconscious characters inventory. The switching between characters is just better UI(Or if there is a way I couldn't find it). But the accessing the unconscious cracter was for when my medic was knocked out and bleeding and had all the first aid kits. my other characters couldn't heal her because she had them all... bad decision on my part, but they should be able to take hers and use them.

-Also for UI you may want to have the world map automatically pop up when a character steps onto the transition area. I can't see any other reason you would step onto that unless you were going to leave the area, thus it may as well come up automatically.

-And lastly you may want to look at explaining better how you advance time in the game. Not sure about others but for the second day after assigning jobs to people to fix the fence and build a well, it took me a good while to realize the only way to get people to work, my character included, was to go upstairs and sleep. Or if there is another way I haven't figured it out.

Thanks for the awesome game so far, its been alot of fun. Time for attempt number 5.

Video Card:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560, Driver: 9.18.13.3221 (just updated)
Sound Card:
Realtech High Definition audio, Driver: RTKVHD64.sys
Game settings:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 (D3D9), 1680 x 1020 resolution, 60 refresh rate, Full Screen on,  Direct sound, primary sound driver
Varthmathr

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2014, 08:12:54 am »

Is there a way to increase the font size? If not, please increase it, the text (not dialogues, the rest of the text) is very difficult to read.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:17:22 am by Varthmathr » Logged

Biboran
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2014, 12:27:53 pm »

-Please allow switching of chracters in battle, quite often its one characters turn but they can't move to the enemy becuase one of the allys is standing in the way and theres no way through. I can only switch to that ally by ending the current characters turn

You can swap places between characters by right clicking on the Ally and getting the "Swap" cursor. Costs 2 AP.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
celeritas
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2014, 01:38:23 pm »

Hi everyone,

bought the game directly as seen on Steam because i missed it on KS,and played the Demo a little bit so far, and now i have some Questions and a few Sugesstions on my mind:

1 why you cant reload weapons out of inventory
2 cant Drop things not needed from the inventory(like rotten Apples), maybe my fault
3 Are ther further changes to the Combat system?
i read thats not your Focus and you dont get EXp for Combat  what is okay but would it  be possibly in full version to stealth on Humans/Undead
Change Positions to kneel and Prone
Is there a additional Cover System forRanged Combat(or Really depends only on your Skills)

and my last and biggest wish so far is dont end the Combat mode automaticlly my experience so far on the city hall sector is
1. The Ai is not very smart, you can seperate the looters 1  after 1
2 and after going out of sight behind a wall and ending turn combat ends and opponent get the initative  so a button to end round Combat for the player would be nice!
3 one last tought maybe im Wrong but there is no Line of sight thru windows right?

ok keep up the good work

bye for now

after playing a little longer i would suggest that you can Equip your Surviors at the Shelter its essential i think!
and a button to activate your Team members directly like 1-3 or f1 to f4 would be a basic i think!

ok thats it for today
 bye

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:35:23 am by celeritas » Logged
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2014, 01:44:27 pm »

Hi everyone,

bought the game directly as seen on Steam because i missed it on KS,and played the Demo a little bit so far, and now i have some Questions and a few Sugesstions on my mind:

1 why you cant reload weapons out of inventory
2 cant Drop things not needed from the inventory(like rotten Apples), maybe my fault
3 Are ther further changes to the Combat system?
i read thats not your Focus and you dont get EXp for Combat  what is okay but would it  be possibly in full version to stealth on Humans/Undead
Change Positions to kneel and Prone
Is there a additional Cover System forRanged Combat(or Really depends only on your Skills)

and my last and biggest wish so far is dont end the Combat mode automaticlly my experience so far on the city hall sector is
1. The Ai is not very smart, you can seperate the looters 1  after 1
2 and after going out of sight behind a wall and ending turn combat ends and opponent get the initative  so a button to end round Combat for the player would be nice!
3 one last tought maybe im Wrong but there is no Line of sight thru windows right?

ok keep up the good work

bye for now

Reloading weapons from the inventory and the ability to drop items are good suggestions although I don't know if there are plans for them yet.  The combat system will be getting a lot of tweaks and fixes over time.  There is no cover system for ranged, and there are no plans for stealth other than line of sight, aka crouching, going prone, etc.

AI is basic right now and will be improved on in the final game.  To end combat just hit the space bar when there are no enemies visible, and you should exit combat mode.  There is currently no line of sight through windows, and I'm not sure if that'll be included or not.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: