Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dead State Suggestion Thread  (Read 106205 times)
Maeon
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 10:48:37 pm »

As we know, Dead State will not have its dialogs voiced or dubbed (too much text / not enough budget).

Writers could claim they can convey prosody through text, yes but thanks to storytelling schema. AFAIK ingame dialogs are not formated as narration.

How to enhance readers gamers "acuteness" ?

Due to isometric view, facial mimic morph would not be noticeable.
So I had a look to "body language" concept. I'm sure it would add an extra bonus to the game to interpolate various standing loop animation for conversation phase.

These animations could image mood or moral or liking/disliking toward interlocutor... (I don't know wich of these parameters would be relevant for body language).

Let me show you an example :
Suppose PC say an instruction to a NPC, then he reply : - "Well, it's your decision."

" Well, it's your decision. "

{source} but there are many others...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:51:26 pm by Maeon » Logged

[...] we are looking into localizing the game into a few other languages after release.
     I am looking into purchasing the game after localization.
Malkav
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 11:46:00 pm »

Would be cool that at the beginning of the game the characters will not know exactly on what kind of stimuli the zombies are reacting to.This could be the objective of an earlier quest.
Marauder
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 03:20:05 am »

Yeah, but lets say you're 10 miles from the school; with the likely mixed bag, fitness-wise you have to respond, how long does it take you to get there?  Way too long I expect (this would change with vehicles, but I'm gathering there's only going to be a very limited amount of fuel available).
Let's see, roughly 1km/10 min times 16=1h 40min. Against the living you'd be royally screwed but against zombies I can see that happening. All you'd need is strong enough door, or even a metal locker.
Raufgar
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 05:40:42 am »

Yeah, but lets say you're 10 miles from the school; with the likely mixed bag, fitness-wise you have to respond, how long does it take you to get there?  Way too long I expect (this would change with vehicles, but I'm gathering there's only going to be a very limited amount of fuel available).
Let's see, roughly 1km/10 min times 16=1h 40min. Against the living you'd be royally screwed but against zombies I can see that happening. All you'd need is strong enough door, or even a metal locker.

You can also "discourage" survivors from staying in one place too long by having the following factors in place :

1) The longer you stay in one place while outside, the higher chance you have of attracting attention, which means a higher chance that whoever ventures outside may either encounter a large mob waiting for them, an ambush by other survivors, or may lead attackers back to the temporary shelter without knowing about it.

2) Basic barricading can be performed on the temporary shelter the survivors have chosen, which can be degraded by attacks or simple wear and tear. More bodies on the outside trying to get in, the faster it degrades.

3) The longer a group spends outside the main shelter, the higher the chance that an attack on the shelter can happen. Since the party is not at the main shelter, such attacks can either be an off-screen affair, providing a statistic when the scavenging group get back (percentage of barricades torn down, number of stay-in survivors wounded/killed/turned, etc.) or have the game pause for the group, and switch back over to the main shelter for you to organize the defense.

Just my two cents Smile
Bofferbrauer
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 07:11:06 am »

Cutting off Members is a double-edges Sword since some Countries, like Germany or Australia, won't approve it

Fot the targeting System, yeah, a fallout or Jagged Alliance like System might come in handy
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 10:05:34 am »

As we know, Dead State will not have its dialogs voiced or dubbed (too much text / not enough budget).

Writers could claim they can convey prosody through text, yes but thanks to storytelling schema. AFAIK ingame dialogs are not formated as narration.

How to enhance readers gamers "acuteness" ?

Due to isometric view, facial mimic morph would not be noticeable.
So I had a look to "body language" concept. I'm sure it would add an extra bonus to the game to interpolate various standing loop animation for conversation phase.

These animations could image mood or moral or liking/disliking toward interlocutor... (I don't know wich of these parameters would be relevant for body language).

Nice idea.  However I am guessing they will go with the standard way this is handled, with some text in parantheses explaining the tone.

ie:  "Well, its your decision." (submissive)
      "Well, its your decision." (challenging)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:50:10 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
Ithacus
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 12:18:34 pm »

Have packs of Stray dogs been considered as a foe for survivors.  As I understand it, as packs of stray dogs grow in number, pack mentality kicks in and they become very dangerous which is why in some places where strays are a problem they have culls.  They could also be a source of "mystery meat" food supplies, as well as some other animals maybe.

I don't know if there are constraints to doing this with programing and artwork because of funding and localised objections, but it might be worth a thought.

I habe donated $31.00 I would have prefered to give more but sadly financial constraints prevent me doing so.
Malkav
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 12:22:40 pm »

I love the idea of a zoo turning into some kind of Jurassic Park Brian mentioned in an interview.Maybe this will be implemented at some point into Dead State.
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 12:36:06 pm »

I love the idea of a zoo turning into some kind of Jurassic Park Brian mentioned in an interview.Maybe this will be implemented at some point into Dead State.

As awesome as this sounds, with the game taking place 2 weeks into the apocalypse, all the animals would have starved.  Trip to the zoo would be a lot less Jurassic Park and a lot more rotting corpses in cages.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 12:37:15 pm »

Have packs of Stray dogs been considered as a foe for survivors.  As I understand it, as packs of stray dogs grow in number, pack mentality kicks in and they become very dangerous which is why in some places where strays are a problem they have culls.  They could also be a source of "mystery meat" food supplies, as well as some other animals maybe.

I don't know if there are constraints to doing this with programing and artwork because of funding and localised objections, but it might be worth a thought.

I habe donated $31.00 I would have prefered to give more but sadly financial constraints prevent me doing so.

Animals like dogs aren't viable as enemies or allies unless we hit our stretch goal. If we got dogs in, they'd definitely be useful as another enemy type. Although getting killed by a corgi would kind of suck.  
LordBlade
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 12:48:03 pm »

Memorials would be nice.

If someone dies, you should be able to put up a grave marker (whether or not you have a body to recover) or maybe a little plaque somewhere.
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 12:56:10 pm »

Animals like dogs aren't viable as enemies or allies unless we hit our stretch goal. If we got dogs in, they'd definitely be useful as another enemy type. Although getting killed by a corgi would kind of suck.  

I saw a show once that delved into this a little and their opinion was that most of the small and man-made breeds would die off fairly quickly.  A lot of those breeds are utterly dependent on humans and would have trouble surviving in the wild on their own or in a pack.  Dogs closer to their wild ancestors, with the practical refinements of evolution versus people breeding for cuteness, smallness, etc..., would go back to being wild and probably do well.

I think in a pack of mixed breeds with things like german shepards, dobermans, and pitbulls, something like a corgi would have trouble getting any food.  If it was lucky it might get some scraps.  Assuming it was even accepted into the pack in the first place, instead of being lunch.

There are exceptions of course.  There are some smaller dogs that evolved naturally and can take care of themselves.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:01:41 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »

Memorials would be nice.

If someone dies, you should be able to put up a grave marker (whether or not you have a body to recover) or maybe a little plaque somewhere.

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that.  A graveyard could be an upgrade to the Shelter to increase morale (which is kind of funny to think about, but I guess having your loved one memorialized instead of put on a funeral pyre is comforting).

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 01:14:03 pm »

Memorials would be nice.

There's something like this in the game. However, it's not that straightforward. You'll see.
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 02:02:26 pm »

Memorials would be nice.

There's something like this in the game. However, it's not that straightforward. You'll see.

Hmmm.  Perhaps a wall where loved ones put up photos and notes.  It is outside of your control.  The items are put up by the npcs.  That is my guess anyway.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: