Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dead State Suggestion Thread  (Read 108734 times)
Brian

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:18:24 pm »

Post suggestions for the developers here. Don't start a separate topic as it will be closed. The devs will read all of these, even if they don't respond to all of them.

Please check out the FAQ here on the forum before posting. Or catch up on design updates to see if we've already addressed your concern in a prior discussion.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:26:26 pm by Brian » Logged
Igor
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:26:34 pm »

I would really love it if you could add an "auto-resolve" feature to battles. I'm sure the battles will be funs and everything, but sometimes you just want to skip a battle and move on to other things. Especially if you have great odds of winning and don't feel like playing the battle yourself.
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:36:12 pm »

Suggestions for Dead State specifically, or just in general?

In general, I'd like to see more official artwork; prints/posters or desktop wallpapers would be so cool.

For things in-game, I don't know if you have something like this planned, but one thing I always liked in games were "background stories" that have nothing to do with the actual game but are sort of implied.  The example that comes to mind is Fallout 3, wandering around the world you'll open a bathroom stall and find a skeleton clutching a teddy bear and a hypodermic needle, or something like that.  I like pondering how that person died and ended up there and what their story might have been.

For Dead State, you could tie Lore into that, like...have your characters looting a house, and laying in a pool of blood you find someones cell phone or camera, and find messages about the person who lived in that house and their last days.  Maybe they were bitten by a friend or neighbor, and mention locking themselves in the bathroom, where you would find a zombie waiting.  Then you would think to yourself, "Oh shit, its so-and-so from the cell phone message!"  This sort of falls under the categories of Lore and I guess level design (broken furniture and blood stains, etc), but I just thought I'd mention it because it's one of the things that makes it really easy for me to get immersed in the game world.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:43:57 pm »

Suggestions for Dead State specifically, or just in general?

In general, I'd like to see more official artwork; prints/posters or desktop wallpapers would be so cool.

For things in-game, I don't know if you have something like this planned, but one thing I always liked in games were "background stories" that have nothing to do with the actual game but are sort of implied.  The example that comes to mind is Fallout 3, wandering around the world you'll open a bathroom stall and find a skeleton clutching a teddy bear and a hypodermic needle, or something like that.  I like pondering how that person died and ended up there and what their story might have been.

For Dead State, you could tie Lore into that, like...have your characters looting a house, and laying in a pool of blood you find someones cell phone or camera, and find messages about the person who lived in that house and their last days.  Maybe they were bitten by a friend or neighbor, and mention locking themselves in the bathroom, where you would find a zombie waiting.  Then you would think to yourself, "Oh shit, its so-and-so from the cell phone message!"  This sort of falls under the categories of Lore and I guess level design (broken furniture and blood stains, etc), but I just thought I'd mention it because it's one of the things that makes it really easy for me to get immersed in the game world.

We mention lore a bit in the Rampant Coyote interview.
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 04:47:45 pm »

Cool, I'll read up on that then.  So many new interviews it's hard to keep track!   Panic

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Invalid_Target
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:53:55 pm »

Just gonna throw this out as I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere, autosave.
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:28:45 pm »

What kind of things will be moddable?  I am not asking about a mod tool.  I am wondering what will be in a database, text or xml files that we can change.  The more you can make moddable the better.  Weapon and equipment stats, and the probabilities of finding them would be nice at a minimum.

I suppose this needs to be a suggestion.  So please make the game as moddable as possible without adding too much work.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:56:42 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
BadVoodoo
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:36:05 pm »

Thank you for this topic

Anyway i want to suggest something for hardcore mode
To Make hardcore mode more challenging add
3 autosave slots, kind of what Skyrim has. But no save slots just 3 auto saves. Auto saves are activated when you fast travel and whenever a crisis event ends or a ally dies. The 3 autosaves over right each other. This way the player can actually feel the weight of their actions... I've never seen this implemented into a game before but maybe that's it for a reason anyways it's only a suggestion

Also you should reconsider resting outside the school. Maybe it only restores 25% exhaustion. Also resting has a % chance to lead to a surprise assult " which in hardcore mode it would autosave the assault "

Last thing i want to say, it would be cool if you REALLY pissed of a rival tribe they would assult your base or ransomed allys for supplies

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:05:33 am by BadVoodoo » Logged

"Twelve hours of work and I still can't sleep. Damn. Days go on and on. They don't end."
mouche621
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 07:24:20 am »

"Last thing i want to say, it would be cool if you REALLY pissed of a rival tribe they would assault your base or ransomed allys for supplies"

I don't think the shelter is ever going to be "assaulted", since it has been said you can't fight inside it. What I hope for and seems more likely to happen are scripted encounters when travelling the world map - say you pissed off X faction, you unlock the possibility of running into an ambush from them.
Malkav
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 08:10:29 am »

"Last thing i want to say, it would be cool if you REALLY pissed of a rival tribe they would assault your base or ransomed allys for supplies"

I don't think the shelter is ever going to be "assaulted", since it has been said you can't fight inside it. What I hope for and seems more likely to happen are scripted encounters when travelling the world map - say you pissed off X faction, you unlock the possibility of running into an ambush from them.

Or maybe they will just remember you and be hostile to you if you run into them.Since this is happening a few weeks after the infrastructure collapsed it will be hard from someone else to find you.It's not like you give them a map with a big X that marks your location just after you do something really horrible to them.
Marauder
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 08:31:13 am »

A cool feature could be that if your team got totally outnumbered/butchered on a scavenging trip or something, the survivors could fortify their positions and wait for the others to send help. It would suck ass if you were looting for food and you'd run out of ammo or break all your melee weapons and the only way out was to send the least useless member as a bait while the others escape.
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:19:30 am »

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is subterranean stuff, sewers and subways and the like.  Being able to access the sewer system would give players an escape route and provide a cool map level - torches or flashlights mandatory!

It could be kind of like the broken railways in Fallout 3 that you have to use to get around D.C.

Another cool random/unique map level would be a downed plane out in the middle of a field or something.  You could actually make it like a Crisis Event or something, someone sees a plane going down to the west and thinks there could have been survivors, or supplies.  Then when you get there, all 200+ passengers are zombies and on fire, to boot...you'll have to decide if the precious cargo and luggage is worth fighting to get to.

Also, there's some interesting real-life stuff in the area around where Splendid is supposed to be that would be awesome to see in game, such as Buchanan Dam.

Greyman
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 10:20:31 am »

A cool feature could be that if your team got totally outnumbered/butchered on a scavenging trip or something, the survivors could fortify their positions and wait for the others to send help. It would suck ass if you were looting for food and you'd run out of ammo or break all your melee weapons and the only way out was to send the least useless member as a bait while the others escape.

The problem with that is likely time-frame; the others have to figure out you're in trouble, send the help, and do it all before you get overrun.
Marauder
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 12:02:04 pm »

The problem with that is likely time-frame; the others have to figure out you're in trouble, send the help, and do it all before you get overrun.
True. Using a regular walkie talkies would give a 60 mile radius and by foot you can't really go much further unless you're planning to stay outside for a night.
Greyman
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 06:14:04 pm »

True. Using a regular walkie talkies would give a 60 mile radius and by foot you can't really go much further unless you're planning to stay outside for a night.

Yeah, but lets say you're 10 miles from the school; with the likely mixed bag, fitness-wise you have to respond, how long does it take you to get there?  Way too long I expect (this would change with vehicles, but I'm gathering there's only going to be a very limited amount of fuel available).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: