Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 4/30 Design Update - Progress/Team Report  (Read 17686 times)
Brian

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:42:22 am »

Just a quick update this week. We’re hard at work locking down and polishing what we want to show for the Kickstarter. We want to make sure we show as much of the Dead State experience that we can before we ask fans and gamers to pledge money to our game. To that end, we’ve actually been expanding our team. The GUIs you saw last week were done by Mazin, who also did the GUIs for Age of Decadence. We’ve also added a composer to the team whose work you will be hearing soon.

That brings our team size up to about ten people working on weekly tasks for the game – and that’s not counting semi-regular contributors on the art side. I see my name or Annie’s thrown around as the “people who are working on the game” so I think this week I’ll do a refresher on who else has been working on this game.

Oscar – Oscar is our Lead Artist. Oscar supervises all of the other art tasks, and is responsible for much of the art and level work in the game. He is pretty much the jack-of-all-trades on the project and assists in design and scripting tasks in addition to his art lead responsibilities. Oscar is also responsible for the art direction on Age of Decadence.

Nick – Nick is our Lead Programmer. Nick is responsible for engine modification, content tools and systems implementation, and pretty much anything that has to do with the code. Nick is building upon code he worked on for Age of Decadence, though Dead State has plenty of new features that have kept him busy.

Ivan – Ivan is our animator on Dead State. You’ll be seeing a lot more of his work when we show off footage of the game. Ivan also worked on the animations for Age of Decadence.

Kim – Kim is our portrait and 2D artist. She has done all of the portraits for Dead State and is working on multiple other 2D art tasks such as inventory icons.

Brandon – Brandon is another 2D artist specializing in logos. Any time you see a store logo (of which there are many in a modern day game), mascot, product billboard, or poster in the game, it was probably drawn by him.

Joao – Joao is a 3D artist who did all of the weapon models in the game and is currently working on level objects and level art.

Jason – Jason is another 3D artist and longtime contributor helping out with objects in the game.

Joey – Joey did the 3D models that you’ll see in the trailer and our screenshots.

Mazin – Mazin is our new GUI artist. He also worked on the Age of Decadence GUI.

Leif – Leif is our composer. You will hear his work in the trailer and some of our other promo material.

And that’s who is working on Dead State. Obviously, one reason we’re doing the Kickstarter is to compensate our team and allow them to devote all or most of their time to the project, which will allow us to plan around more rigid milestones. Many of our team members have been working on or contributing to the game for a while now. You’ll find most of them stopping by here on the boards, so feel free to give them a virtual thumbs up.

Also, here's a look at our infirmary upgrade for the shelter:

Belik
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:11:39 am »

Couple of questions:

1. When will the kickstarter start? Can you give a rough date(days, weeks etc')?
2. Any chance you bring Rik Schaffer on the team? I really loved his work in VTM:B(the Chinatown hub soundtrack is one of my favorite soundtracks in any videogame).

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:38:23 am by Belik » Logged
Gauntt
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 01:37:18 am »

How does AOD work impact Dead State development? They are possibly going to be released around the same time?

Will the team going full time assist with AOD as well?
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:11:54 am »

Quite a team! Looking forward to what you will show for the Kickstarter campaign.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:03:13 am »

Quite a team! Looking forward to what you will show for the Kickstarter campaign.

Took the words out of my mouth.

As for the new pic of the infirmary upgrade, I see 3 beds and I know from the picture of the school in the GUI thread that there are at least four; does that mean the infirmary has a carrying capacity?  Be interesting to have to do a kind of triage; who goes to a bed and who has to wait on the floor in a storage closet or something.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
mouche621
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:07:53 am »

Is this only the switching from 16:9 to 4:3, or does the down right part of the GUI looks bigger ? Make the backpack inventory icon much more clearer. Like it.

Also, might sound silly but knowing that high end textures isn't a goal of yours, I find the bed sheets texture quite impressive. So thumbs up Oscar / Jason / Joey.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:11:45 am by mouche621 » Logged
Killian Darkwater
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:16:35 am »

I like those shadows!
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:58:50 pm »

Couple of questions:

1. When will the kickstarter start? Can you give a rough date(days, weeks etc')?
Soon. Keep in mind, a few people still aren't full-time, which is one reason we're doing the Kickstarter. Polishing content and planning/shooting/making trailers takes time. Since our project's funding is on the line here, we want to make sure we do it right. 

2. Any chance you bring Rik Schaffer on the team? I really loved his work in VTM:B(the Chinatown hub soundtrack is one of my favorite soundtracks in any videogame).

Yeah, I loved Rik's Bloodlines tracks and working with him and his wife (Margaret Tang, VO director for Bloodlines and AP), well, I can't say enough good things about them. Rik stays pretty busy, though, and while I haven't asked, I'm going to go ahead and guess that we're a bit underfunded to bring in Rik.

BUT, I'd like to point out that we just announced that we have a composer, so you may want to hear what our current composer is doing first. You may end up liking it just as much as Bloodlines' music.

How does AOD work impact Dead State development? They are possibly going to be released around the same time?
I am not on AoD, but as I understand it, most of what is left to be done on AoD is content polish and bug-fixing, which means Nick and Oscar aren't needed full-time. AoD is further along, and it should be out before us - that should be obvious from the beta demo.

Will the team going full time assist with AOD as well?

AoD has their own budget from pre-orders - Dead State and AoD are completely separate projects and we don't share any financial resources. As for personnel, it's not uncommon for game company employees to contribute to multiple projects.

As for the new pic of the infirmary upgrade, I see 3 beds and I know from the picture of the school in the GUI thread that there are at least four; does that mean the infirmary has a carrying capacity?  Be interesting to have to do a kind of triage; who goes to a bed and who has to wait on the floor in a storage closet or something.

There is a limit to how many people can be in the infirmary at once. Most jobs have limited work slots too. 
WorstUsernameEver

Pope Emeritus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:00 am »

Good stuff. Looking forward to that Kickstarter guys.  Salute
wiande
Craftsman

Me so glad DS gonna kick some ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:32:31 am »

Soon. Keep in mind, a few people still aren't full-time, which is one reason we're doing the Kickstarter. Polishing content and planning/shooting/making trailers takes time. Since our project's funding is on the line here, we want to make sure we do it right. 

Better making things right, i've seen a lot of project with a crappy kickstarter page, as a result they didn't get the attention they wanted to have (their mistake)

Turn based uber alles!
ArthurMachen
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 11:45:59 am »

Can't wait for this game. This is the zombie game i, and many others have been waiting for. Keep up the great work!
Goweigus
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 08:28:36 pm »

I just realized how ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE those floor tiles are

smug
Annie
Developer

Dead State game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 12:54:27 pm »

Linoleum, dawg! That stuff comes in MASSIVE ROLLS. Wink

WILL GAME FOR WORK
Goweigus
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 06:42:00 pm »

Linoleum, dawg! That stuff comes in MASSIVE ROLLS. Wink

Makes sense! So what exactly is making all that noise in the picture - or is there usually that much noise all over the base?    /Is a noise made in one room reduced for those outside it?
Fryster
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 02:37:03 am »

So what exactly is making all that noise in the picture - or is there usually that much noise all over the base?
That would be the screams of dying survivors being tended by a medic with medicine skill of 0. As of now, he performs tonsillectomy with a rusty bonesaw.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: