Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of DecadenceTranslation Forum (Moderator: Vahha)[General] Technical localization talk
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: [General] Technical localization talk  (Read 19900 times)
PrzeSzkoda

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:17:17 pm »

Just thought I'd set up a general topic for everyone interested in localizing AoD to discuss technical issues which may arise, so that we can have a handy reference in one place.

I'll try to post a list of files containing translatables here, once I'm done parsing them.

And a general question: does anyone have any idea how to tackle localizing graphical gui items? The main menu for instance.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:49:59 pm »

And a general question: does anyone have any idea how to tackle localizing graphical gui items? The main menu for instance.

Most of that stuff is in [AoD Root]\art\gui, I think

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
PrzeSzkoda

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:57:03 pm »

Most of that stuff is in [AoD Root]\art\gui, I think

That I know. Smile Trouble is, I've never done any photoshopping/graphics-related work, and wouldn't know the first thing about editing them.

So if anyone's ever done similar things, do tell what that would require - what software, what skills, etc. Even if the translators themselves were unable to do it, it might help nail down some guidlines for Photosop haxxors willing to help (or something.)

EDIT: Awesome, the Character Creation Screen will have to be translated using a graphical editor in its entirety. Same with Inventory, Crafting, Trading, Looting and anything else that is GUI based.  Wallbang So the above issue becomes a pretty friggin' major one. Anyone? Guess I'll just have to pester Oscar about that.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:50:18 pm by PrzeSzkoda » Logged
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 04:58:05 pm »

Yep, you will have to pester me Smile

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
PrzeSzkoda

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 07:49:17 pm »

Yep, you will have to pester me Smile

And pester he did.  Salute First I'd like to get this show off the ground, though.

Anyhow, here's the promised list of files containing translatables.

List of files containing localizables (incomplete):

<AoDRoot>/scripts/data/text:

- char_scr_tips.cs
 - dialogues.cs
 - health_levels.cs
 - phrases.cs
 - ranks.cs
 - techniques.cs
 - textbox.cs

<AoDRoot>/scripts/data/slides:

- ending.cs
 - help.cs
 - pcDeath.cs
 - vignettes.cs

<AoDRoot>/scripts/data/journal:

- quests.cs

<AoDRoot>/scripts/data/core:

- craft.cs
 - text_vars.cs

<AoDRoot>/scripts/data/campaign:

- Teron Chars.cs
 - Teron Events.cs
 - world.cs

<AoDRoot>/scripts/client:

- missionDownload.cs

<AoDRoot>/art/gui:

- basically all the graphics that would require localization (and there's plenty);

Stuff I am currently unable to locate or may be missing:

- item descriptions (they are probably stored in itemlist.dat or items.dat, neither of which am I able to unpack);
 - description of stuff in Feng's room (or maybe I did locate it but did not check the extracted strings thoroughly enough);
 - there might be some floating character names (as in during combat) in <AoDRoot>/scripts/data/events, I haven't parsed it yet since it's pretty minor.

For fellow Passolo users, I have created parsers for basically all of the files listed here. My dialogues.cs parser produces much uglier results than that of Saruman (you can see the .txt files he exports out of Passolo by clicking the bukvy in his signature), but should be workable anyhow. All other parsers seem to be working fine from what I've tested of them. If anyone would like to use them or check them out, I'm attaching them to this post. To import them into Passolo, you have to go to Add-Ins - select Text Parser - Setup - Import. They are totally (c) PrzeSzkoda, so don't you dare sell them anywhere.  Wink (Also, they probably suck.)

P.S.
Saruman, I would greatly appreciate if you could export your dialouges.cs parser and post it here. Wink

P.P.S.
SDL, the brave creators of Passolo, can go die in a fire. Fuckin' bloatware.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:54:41 am by PrzeSzkoda » Logged
Saruman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 06:19:25 am »

Saruman, I would greatly appreciate if you could export your dialouges.cs parser and post it here. Wink
Not a problem; this rules exported from Passolo 2011. I had to learn regxp to make it  Neutral
SDL, the brave creators of Passolo, can go die in a fire. Fuckin' bloatware.
I double it.
the Character Creation Screen will have to be translated using a graphical editor in its entirety. Same with Inventory, Crafting, Trading, Looting and anything else that is GUI based.  Wallbang
Version of needed graphics without any letters will really help us.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Nazarene
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:20:27 am »

I have never worked with Passolo before, only with Studio/Multi Term. Are you guys professional translators? And yes indeed, SDL may go and die in a fire  Evil Have you tried alternative CAT tools like Across?

gotta get some action... now!
PrzeSzkoda

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:41:24 pm »

I have never worked with Passolo before, only with Studio/Multi Term. Are you guys professional translators? And yes indeed, SDL may go and die in a fire  Evil Have you tried alternative CAT tools like Across?

Well, I'm using Passolo despite its hog-like nature because it's more of a specialized software localization tool than a general CAT tool. There are, of course, alternatives, but they are either as expensive and awful, proprietary (say, Microsoft LocStudio which is, frankly, awesome) or lack certain functinalities or basic ease-of-use (say, Sisulizer, in its older iterations at least, I dunno about the newest one.) I guess Saruman's reasons would be similar.

So a general CAT tool like Across would require more manual work, whilst a software loc tool streamlines the whole process.

I've been working in the translation biz my whole adult life and still am making most of my monies that way. This is more of a passion project (plus a chance to get down and dirty with the nitty-gritty groundwork of localization without a deadline  Wink .)
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:37 pm »

Well, I'm using Passolo despite its hog-like nature because it's more of a specialized software localization tool than a general CAT tool. There are, of course, alternatives, but they are either as expensive and awful, proprietary (say, Microsoft LocStudio which is, frankly, awesome) or lack certain functinalities or basic ease-of-use (say, Sisulizer, in its older iterations at least, I dunno about the newest one.) I guess Saruman's reasons would be similar.

So a general CAT tool like Across would require more manual work, whilst a software loc tool streamlines the whole process.

I've been working in the translation biz my whole adult life and still am making most of my monies that way. This is more of a passion project (plus a chance to get down and dirty with the nitty-gritty groundwork of localization without a deadline  Wink .)

PrzeSzkoda, If you want me to help with translation to PL, send me a private message what I should install and then we can get the ball rolling (if you feel like it obviously). I have good experience with different types of software so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a hang of translation tools quite quickly. Resource hogging is not an issue for my pc (at least I hope so!).

List of forum members approving of this post :
galsiah
PrzeSzkoda

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 02:53:06 pm »

PrzeSzkoda, If you want me to help with translation to PL, send me a private message what I should install and then we can get the ball rolling (if you feel like it obviously). I have good experience with different types of software so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a hang of translation tools quite quickly. Resource hogging is not an issue for my pc (at least I hope so!).

Appreciated. Smile I'll post all the info for people interested in the PL project over the weekend. Stay tuned!

And Passolo isn't so much a resource hog but a hog in general (bloatware would be the proper term, I'd wager.) It's got a million plus functionalities and none of them properly implemented.  Wink
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 12:27:35 am »

I think with Vince's down-to-earth writing it shouldn't be that difficult to translate (apart from the huge amount of text in itself). One of biggest challenges lies in finding proper words for all these Romanesque weapons Wink Unless we leave the weapons' names intact  and just focus on the dialogues in the first place.

galsiah
PrzeSzkoda

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 12:29:07 pm »

I think with Vince's down-to-earth writing it shouldn't be that difficult to translate (apart from the huge amount of text in itself). One of biggest challenges lies in finding proper words for all these Romanesque weapons Wink Unless we leave the weapons' names intact  and just focus on the dialogues in the first place.

The plan is to do it the proper way, so we're not leaving anything out. Wink I've been checking various grammar rules and terminology pertaining to this Romanesque-Latinesque conundrum, and have been working on some initial propositions for the terms (and proper names - that's probably going to be the first point we'll be discussing.) More in the official PL topic, and don't worry, it's coming sooner than later. Smile (Probably tomorrow in the evening.)

As to translating down-to-earth writing - it can be surprisingly tricky. Wink But very fun - and challenging! - to translate and make it sound all nice and natural.
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 12:13:22 am »

I work in CD/DVD production business so I know my way around 2d software like adobe illustrator / coreldraw. If Oscar manages to send empty templates along with the font that was used for menus, I could make all buttons for PL version Smile

galsiah
PrzeSzkoda

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 12:26:31 am »

I work in CD/DVD production business so I know my way around 2d software like adobe illustrator / coreldraw. If Oscar manages to send empty templates along with the font that was used for menus, I could make all buttons for PL version Smile

Awesome, man. Smile Please enlist in our glorious PL topic.  Salute
Bandris86
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 10:11:43 am »

Could you tell me the exact quantity of the texts?

What programs should be used for translating these .cs.dso files?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: