Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pre-order The Age of Decadence  (Read 534403 times)
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2012, 04:58:59 am »

Commie Союз нерушимый республик свободных Commie
 Commie Сплотила навеки Великая Русь. Commie
 Commie Да здравствует созданный волей народов Commie
 Commie Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Commie

The new anthem was adopted (the video content is irrelevant):

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:25:18 am by Vahhabyte » Logged

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
AbounI
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 10, 2012, 05:12:38 am »

Perhaps GOG would be nicer than Steam, a better choice, regarding the "hardcore audience" they have?
Fed

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 10, 2012, 05:19:22 am »

Oh.  Angry
I thought they were just taking a cut... Now steam frustrates me. I saw (and even bought) some obviously shitty games there.

Yeah, I bought things over internet, but I always paid cash to a courier. Because it's easier.

Anyway, I'd like to know if ITS is going to try to get on steam. And when.
If they don't plan to try or get rejected,I guess I'll have to buy the game the way it will be possible. But I don't mind a little bit of waiting if that means evading the need to learn a new way to pay (even if it is easy). I am already registred in too many places to remember. (

2 Vahhabyte, I am yet to meet a person who knows at least a part of our new anthem. ) I know I don't.

EDIT: Oh, I see there is already a topic about steam. Sorry. Noob.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:21:14 am by Fed » Logged
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2012, 05:35:24 am »

You don't actually need to register with anyone. All you have to do is enter your details + credit card details and secure the order. It's not like paypal where you have to register an account with them and conclude any payments through it.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 10, 2012, 07:30:37 am »

Looking at the prorders, it will take quite a bit of PR (or an invitation to steam) to get there.
At this stage, pre-orders are a gesture of support, not an indicator of future sales.

I'll say this once and then shut my mouth, but : THIS IS IDIOTIC!
Are you talking about the release difficulty or the current testers' build difficulty? With more skill points when you start the game and a shop, you can't possibly fail to kill the merc and assassin. I killed them both 3 out of 3 each with default stats. If anything, I'm embarrassed how easy it is (but don't worry, we're fixing it now).

If even a significant portion of the Codex thinks the game is too difficult, you can not hope to sell 10000 units.
I know. If even the Codex is struggling, I can only imagine what Bethesda forumites will say.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1361800-age-of-decadence/

"Alright, played until I died (Which was quick). First impressions: I'm rather impressed, especially considering it's an indie project. The graphics are outstanding (Like Neverwinter Nights, only much better), the animations fluid, the dialogue is well written and the music is nice. I didn't expect the combat to be on a grid and turn-based, but I enjoyed it. I decided to take up a potentially dangerous job and was ambushed by two thugs, who most definitely had the advantage over me in numbers and power. I died fairly quickly, though admittedly it took me a couple rounds to figure out what I was supposed to be doing.

I'll play a bit more later and post more feedback, but I'm pleasantly surprised so far. If this is the beta, I can't wait to see how in-depth and polished the final product is. :smile:

As an additional note, I'm glad to finally play an RPG where the first quest I undertake isn't extremely easy. I was in over my head for a change, and I was smiling when they dealt the finishing blow to me. Very refreshing. "

WHAT?! Refreshing? No. No, no, no. You're supposed to scream in rage and frustration! Don't you get it? It was the first fight, but instead of steam-rolling over your enemies, you got killed!

"Beat the demo with 5 out of the 8 available characters. I've gotten a hang of the combat now."

WHAT TRICKERY IS THIS?!!!

"I just played the demo and thought it was absolutely fantastic. ... This looks like it will be a very, very good rpg, and i will definitely be getting it."

Hmm...

In my opinion this game absolutely needs a difficulty setting, and I think you can get by with a very simple one: A bonus of 5, 10, 20 additional skillpoints at chargen. I have started a few playthroughs cheating myself a few bonus SP with the console, and frankly, I had more fun with that. People simply are different. So fuck them? That's usually the response...
Fair enough. I'll see what we can do.
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 10, 2012, 07:35:19 am »

Make the difficulty slider a DLC  Tongue

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2012, 07:36:31 am »

I've been maintaining that thread for 4 years, but it went over the post limit 2 weeks ago. There are more people interested in the game, they just posted in the other thread.

The community discussion section of the Beth forums are not really like the other ES/FO sections. If you read the 'what are your favourite games?' threads, you'll see a lot of members mention the old school RPGs like Fallout, Diablo, Arcanum, Planescape etc.

So yeah, don't turn your heads away from any forum, however futile it might seem.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2012, 07:42:53 am »

I'm not (and I'm grateful for the effort). My point was that many Codex forumites aren't as hardcore as one might think.

GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2012, 07:49:44 am »

Are you talking about the release difficulty or the current testers' build difficulty? With more skill points when you start the game and a shop, you can't possibly fail to kill the merc and assassin. I killed them both 3 out of 3 each with default stats. If anything, I'm embarrassed how easy it is (but don't worry, we're fixing it now).

Doesn't matter - what I mean is that it is impossible to balance the game so that both me and Vahabyte, and Joe-I-loved-Fallout-10-years-ago-Schmoe will all be able to enjoy it. For some reason there is this hatred of difficulty settings and I don't get it. Now if you had done this from the beginning, relying on the difficulty slider, not caring about balance because Player-has-the-difficulty-slider, I agreee, that would have been very bad. But that's not the case. You have balanced it nicely for a specific group, now adding a difficulty setting will allow you to expand that group. I just don't believe it undermines your design - which seems to be the worry (IIRC earlier statements by the team).
I mean I am now slowly coming to the point where I start to have fun grinding myself on the most difficult battles, but I had half a year to practice on the more forgiving pre-public beta
builds.

And major :incline: at the Bethsoft forums or not, I think the feedback here and at the codex proves the point: People are different when it comes to the combat. Some grasp it quickly, make (either through doing the math, or somehow intuitively, or through having way more time to play around than others) the right choices for character building and tactics, and before long start clamoring that certain fights are too easy (rightly so). While others struggle to the point of frustration (rightly so). The latter is not necessarily about being spoiled or unwilling to invest time and thought, either (as my case at least should prove Wink ). And that's my point, you can't get around that, unless you have some mechanism to allow individual tuning of the difficulty (commonly known as difficulty setting).

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
MaximillionMiles

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2012, 09:06:13 am »

And major :incline: at the Bethsoft forums or not, I think the feedback here and at the codex proves the point: People are different when it comes to the combat. Some grasp it quickly, make (either through doing the math, or somehow intuitively, or through having way more time to play around than others) the right choices for character building and tactics, and before long start clamoring that certain fights are too easy (rightly so). While others struggle to the point of frustration (rightly so). The latter is not necessarily about being spoiled or unwilling to invest time and thought, either (as my case at least should prove Wink ). And that's my point, you can't get around that, unless you have some mechanism to allow individual tuning of the difficulty (commonly known as difficulty setting).

Not that my opinion should matter, but for what it's worth: I don't mind being able to change the difficulty setting. There's nothing wrong with that as long as easy is not utterly without challenge. And maybe after going through the game on beginner mode they might even have learned enough to play it again on hardcore mode.

Ghan, you said you cheated some extra SP for yourself? How much, and did they make that much of a difference?
VentilatorOfDoom
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:04 am »

So, Nick is from Ukraine. Exactly like Skyway. What a coincidence.
Niektory

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2012, 10:05:30 am »

People don't spend $25 on a game they know they can beat.

Wink
DocHoliday

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2012, 11:33:42 am »

Pre-ordering is up? Seems I'm late to the party.

I'm following this quite some time now and have great hopes for it.
So I've pledged 40 bucks to the cause so you can keep fighting the good fight. Salute

What I wanted to add: Ghan has a valid point about the difficulty.

I didn't find the difficulty too hard at all, and towards the end of the demo I was pretty unstoppable. So after I read all the whining on different forums, my first reaction was: "those people are morans rofl".

But after a while I reconsidered this. It seems like the difficulty is, for whatever reason, really a show-stopper for some people. And we are not talking about some mainstream casual gamers but about people who one might consider the core audience for this kind of ‘traditional’ RPG.

Thing is it would be really nice if this game succeeded from a sales and financial perspective. It would keep ITS in business and show people that indie companies can come up with gaming concepts and worlds that are much more original and fun than the big publishers franchises AND be successful with that. Adding a difficulty slider will make it appeal to a much larger audience and would be really a small compromise in light of the potential benefits sales-wise.

Seeing you only got 167 supporters at the moment kind of got me thinking. I expected at least 1000+ actually. (this expectation is based on the huge amount of backing Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 got, without anything to show and AOD being in a similar vein of producing a 'traditional' RPG)

Anyway, these are just my 2cents of course.

tl;dr IMO Ghan is right with his ideas about difficulty settings and they deserve consideration.
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2012, 11:42:28 am »

You can't really compare AoD devs to the Wasteland (and Shadowrun, but more so Wasteland) devs though. Vince and co. still need to release their first game, whilst the other devs I mentioned have been working on games for decades.

Seeing as this is a preorder on a beta version, I think around 300 people is actually pretty good, for this kind of game. And it's only been 7 days.

DocHoliday

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2012, 11:54:42 am »

You can't really compare AoD devs to the Wasteland

Yes of course, that's why I expected 1000+ not 10k+.
And ITS, while lacking the reputation of those devs, have been at AOD for 8 (8!) years as I undestand and have allready quite an interesting product to show which you can actually play.

Their actions so far have shown that they are the real deal and therefore deserve some credibility as devs.

But alas the numbers of supporters show that maybe less people are interessted in the game or ready to give cred to vince an co than I thought. Meh.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: