Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Skill numbers in red?  (Read 3788 times)
chrisgui
Neophyte

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2012, 04:08:55 pm »

Apologies if any of this was answered in a FAQ (I looked but didn't find the answers).

1.  What does it mean when certain skills are colored in red?  Have they been lowered due to combat damage?  If so, is the damage permanent or can it be healed?
2.  What does the number next to a combat skill value signify (to the right of the plus sign)?
3.  Are certain combat skills linked?  In some instances the sword skill will increase when I raise the dagger skill.

Appreciate any info.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:12:54 pm »

1.  What does it mean when certain skills are colored in red?  Have they been lowered due to combat damage?  If so, is the damage permanent or can it be healed?
Red skills - penalties from armor/shield/helmet.
Red stats - damage from critical strikes; see a healer.

2.  What does the number next to a combat skill value signify (to the right of the plus sign)?
Synergies. Increasing one combat skill increases your proficiency with other weapons.

3.  Are certain combat skills linked?  In some instances the sword skill will increase when I raise the dagger skill.
Yes. See above.
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 04:15:05 pm »

1. Some armour lowers your dodge skill, and this is specified by a red number. I believe if you are critically hit, you will temporarily have reduced skill during the fight (I'm not sure about this though).

3. Yeah, I forgot the word Vince used, but some 'similar' weapon skills will also improve as you improve another weapon skill. Like you said, if you are very proficient with swords, it makes sense that your daggers skill will increase slightly too. It wouldn't make sense for a master swordsman (think 100% skill) not knowing how to at least wield a dagger.

EDIT: Synergies, like Vince said.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »

2.  What does the number next to a combat skill value signify (to the right of the plus sign)?
Synergies. Increasing one combat skill increases your proficiency with other weapons.

Told you, this needs a tooltip!

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
jfunk
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:55:54 am »

Ok, but what precisely do the numbers mean?

If my sword skill has a "1.2" next to it, does that mean it's currently being raised by 1.2 by other skills?  Are those "bonuses" already included in the total # on the skill or do they add on top of it?

Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:05:03 am »

The number in the left column is your actual weapon skill. The number in the right column is how much that skill is being improved by the points you invested into other weapon skills.

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
USER47
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 11:22:28 am »

I think it would help if "synergy" thing would be used in non-combat skills as well. Right now the game is trial and error as thief/talker, because there is a lot of skills and not so many skillpoints to level all relevant ones. It is just a guessing game with lots of dead ends and restarts. Some synergy between persuasion/etiquete/lore, stealing/sneaking etc could at least help with this design flaw.
jfunk
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:27:11 pm »

The number in the left column is your actual weapon skill. The number in the right column is how much that skill is being improved by the points you invested into other weapon skills.

Thanks.  Is the Sunergy score included or cumulative?

In other words, if my Sword skill is:  35  +1.2

Is my effective sword skill 35 or 36.2?

everx7
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 03:37:07 pm »

Thanks.  Is the Sunergy score included or cumulative?

In other words, if my Sword skill is:  35  +1.2

neither, if i get it correctly myself, if u have axe 38 +0 and sword 35 +1.2 it means, as i think it means Smile that if u increase ur axe skill ur sword skill will increase by 1.2, i hope i did get it right, if not pls correct me (didnt actually read the posts above Smile sry)

Niektory

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 04:02:06 pm »

Thanks.  Is the Sunergy score included or cumulative?
In other words, if my Sword skill is:  35  +1.2

It's 35. The synergy bonus is already included.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: