Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Shelter - Official Dead State Forum (Moderators: Brian, Caidoz, DrunkZombie, Christina, Jonathan, SunwardMold)3/19 Monday Design Update - Kickstarting a Kickstarter Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3/19 Monday Design Update - Kickstarting a Kickstarter Discussion  (Read 52653 times)
Goweigus
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2012, 06:43:40 pm »

Would it be possible to add a tier that pre-orders Dead State and to buy a copy of Age of Decadence at once?

Could make for a good cross promotion to have a tier on each games kickstart page covering both games (especially if there is a chance they will release at the same time*)

*First there was The Orange Box, then there was the... ???????? Box
TailSwallower
DS Bronze Patrons

P.R.E.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2012, 12:33:00 pm »

Could make for a good cross promotion to have a tier on each games kickstart page covering both games (especially if there is a chance they will release at the same time*)

*First there was The Orange Box, then there was the... ???????? Box

Double Iron Bear Tower Box!

You need Satan more than he needs you.
speng31b
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2012, 11:37:02 am »

-We’re planning on showing off some of the gameplay we think represents the game. What would you like to see most to feel confident about contributing to the game? (Please don’t describe a fully complete game.)

Show off the core of what makes this game fun and unique. If this were a puzzle game or a platformer, you would show off the "gimmick." Since it's not, you need to succinctly demonstrate what makes this RPG better than or different from others. Is it the great writing? The interesting social dynamics? The combat? If you had to describe and justify Dead State's place within the RPG genre in one sentence, what would that sentence be? Which mechanic or pillar of design philosophy makes Dead State, Dead State? Put that answer into video form and you have your Kickstarter pitch. If the answer is too long or lacks focus, then you either need a better answer or a better mechanic Wink

-When would you want Dead State out by at the latest? (Keep in mind, no amount of money can make 10 people do the work of 25.)

I would want to know that you have a roadmap to release with milestones plotted along the way. I am not you, and as a customer I do not need to know "this game is going to be released by X date." I DO need to know that you have some idea what a milestone is and how to meet it so that I'm not investing in vaporware.

Or better yet, demonstrate past milestones that you have planned and then either met or compensated for not meeting. This is the best of all worlds -- it shows that you not only know how to develop a game on time, but you've been actively working on doing so all along!

-What kind of rewards would you like to see and for how much? (For example, higher level sponsorship might get your portrait done up as a zombie or non-ally NPC featured in the game.)

This is a tough one for me to answer, and it really depends on your own resource availability. Just don't promise anything that's going to kill you later down the line. Mentions in the credits would be great and fulfilling without providing any opportunity for a mass-dongle-shipping mail nightmare, or something.

-How often would you want to see updates and what would you like us to showcase? (Again, keep in mind, doing updates takes time out of our schedule.)

If you are worried about the overhead of frequent updates, work to make the process seamless. Make your design log a public Google Doc so that people can really witness the process as the game evolves. Take your recovery time from when you're burned out on inputting balance numbers into excel or whatever and write a short blog on something cool you added or a problem you solved. If updates feel like a chore then they won't be fun to read or write, and they're a lose for everyone. Make them fun to write -- an expression of your own experiences or frustrations or victories during the development process. As customers this makes us feel included and trusted, which is a nice warm fuzzy thing.

The real crux of this is to worry less about big costly media updates. Most of us would rather read thoughtful, humanizing blog posts than gorge on concept art or in-game videos. If you're releasing for press then you need that juicy stuff, but if you just want to keep customers happy and confident, you don't.

We still want to bring you the zombie survival RPG experience we set out to do from day one, but in order to get it done in a reasonable time frame, it’s no longer going to be possible without a way to sustain full-time development – your feedback would help shape our plans quite a bit. Thanks for your continued support and interest - let’s see if we can make 2012 a great year for Dead State!

I've been "following but not participating" for awhile now, and I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish you the best of luck with this project. I know first-hand that indie development can be -- I feel compelled to thesaurus.com this, because no casual synonym for "stressful" does the concept justice. Despite all that, it's totally worth it. You have a great product and a lot of talent, and you should definitely go for it. Best of luck!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:40:08 am by speng31b » Logged
speng31b
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2012, 11:46:56 am »

-We’re planning on showing off some of the gameplay we think represents the game. What would you like to see most to feel confident about contributing to the game? (Please don’t describe a fully complete game.)

Show off the core of what makes this game fun and unique. If this were a puzzle game or a platformer, you would show off the "gimmick." Since it's not, you need to succinctly demonstrate what makes this RPG better than or different from others. Is it the great writing? The interesting social dynamics? The combat? If you had to describe and justify Dead State's place within the RPG genre in one sentence, what would that sentence be? Which mechanic or pillar of design philosophy makes Dead State, Dead State? Put that answer into video form and you have your Kickstarter pitch. If the answer is too long or lacks focus, then you either need a better answer or a better mechanic Wink

Also, don't Dwarf Fortress yourself to death. As a customer, I want to know that you have a fun core of gameplay, not that you have ideas for 97,331 features which all interact. That's terrifying.

-When would you want Dead State out by at the latest? (Keep in mind, no amount of money can make 10 people do the work of 25.)

I would want to know that you have a roadmap to release with milestones plotted along the way. I am not you, and as a customer I do not need to know "this game is going to be released by X date." I DO need to know that you have some idea what a milestone is and how to meet it so that I'm not investing in vaporware.

Or better yet, demonstrate past milestones that you have planned and then either met or compensated for not meeting. This is the best of all worlds -- it shows that you not only know how to develop a game on time, but you've been actively working on doing so all along!

-What kind of rewards would you like to see and for how much? (For example, higher level sponsorship might get your portrait done up as a zombie or non-ally NPC featured in the game.)

This is a tough one for me to answer, and it really depends on your own resource availability. Just don't promise anything that's going to kill you later down the line. Mentions in the credits would be great and fulfilling without providing any opportunity for a mass-dongle-shipping mail nightmare, or something.

-How often would you want to see updates and what would you like us to showcase? (Again, keep in mind, doing updates takes time out of our schedule.)

If you are worried about the overhead of frequent updates, work to make the process seamless. Make your design log a public Google Doc so that people can really witness the process as the game evolves. Take your recovery time from when you're burned out on inputting balance numbers into excel or whatever and write a short blog on something cool you added or a problem you solved. If updates feel like a chore then they won't be fun to read or write, and they're a lose for everyone. Make them fun to write -- an expression of your own experiences or frustrations or victories during the development process. As customers this makes us feel included and trusted, which is a nice warm fuzzy thing.

The real crux of this is to worry less about big costly media updates. Most of us would rather read thoughtful, humanizing blog posts than gorge on concept art or in-game videos. If you're releasing for press then you need that juicy stuff, but if you just want to keep customers happy and confident, you don't.

We still want to bring you the zombie survival RPG experience we set out to do from day one, but in order to get it done in a reasonable time frame, it’s no longer going to be possible without a way to sustain full-time development – your feedback would help shape our plans quite a bit. Thanks for your continued support and interest - let’s see if we can make 2012 a great year for Dead State!

I've been "following but not participating" for awhile now, and I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish you the best of luck with this project. I know first-hand that indie development can be -- I feel compelled to thesaurus.com this, because no casual synonym for "stressful" does the concept justice. Despite all that, it's totally worth it. You have a great product and a lot of talent, and you should definitely go for it. Best of luck!
wiande
Craftsman

Me so glad DS gonna kick some ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2012, 02:12:24 pm »

Perfect time to launch, no big productions on their way, no big zomby game in kickstarter, new month just started,  the sooner the better guyzzz

Turn based uber alles!
Ruinous
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2012, 07:06:17 pm »

Xenonauts (true spirit of Xcom remake) is going to kickstarter very shortly with a public build that is quite playable, but at the end of the day the devs cannot let other projects put them off launching their own kickstarter. If the pitch is compelling, the pledges will come for sure. Doesn't hurt if people start spreading the word either.
J P Falcon
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2012, 08:01:56 pm »

Xenonauts (true spirit of Xcom remake) is going to kickstarter very shortly with a public build that is quite playable, but at the end of the day the devs cannot let other projects put them off launching their own kickstarter. If the pitch is compelling, the pledges will come for sure. Doesn't hurt if people start spreading the word either.

Damn! I preordered Xenonauts months ago and tried their beta builds...moving and setting up a new IP and email caused me to completely forget about the game....need to get reacquainted and see how those who preordered are affected by the KS program....too many games in the fire.....
CoarseDragon

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2012, 01:14:14 pm »

I would like to see some weapon stats and charcter bios. Maybe a typical senerio.

Late spring / early summner 2013 would be fine with me.

I'm already in so whatever you feel is right.

Once a month or 4 to 6 weeks would be good.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2012, 01:24:27 pm »

I would like to see some weapon stats and charcter bios. Maybe a typical senerio.

There are lots of weapons updates:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2315.0.html

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2026.0.html

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2020.0.html

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1977.0.html

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1859.0.html

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1818.0.html

You can find of all the updates here:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2265.0.html

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
CoarseDragon

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2012, 08:27:27 pm »

Thanks Oscar.
Killian Darkwater
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2012, 07:26:18 am »

I don't know if this qualifies as a typical scenario, but it was a good update, and perhaps gives you an idea of the writing in the game

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2033.0.html
CoarseDragon

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2012, 01:29:40 pm »

I don't know if this qualifies as a typical scenario, but it was a good update, and perhaps gives you an idea of the writing in the game

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2033.0.html

Thanks for reminding me of that. Excellent prose! And one reason I pledged at Kickstarter.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: