Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Shelter - Official Dead State Forum (Moderators: Brian, Caidoz, DrunkZombie, Christina, Jonathan, SunwardMold)3/19 Monday Design Update - Kickstarting a Kickstarter Discussion
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3/19 Monday Design Update - Kickstarting a Kickstarter Discussion  (Read 52694 times)
Java
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 03:17:44 pm »

-We’re planning on showing off some of the gameplay we think represents the game. What would you like to see most to feel confident about contributing to the game? (Please don’t describe a fully complete game.)

-When would you want Dead State out by at the latest? (Keep in mind, no amount of money can make 10 people do the work of 25.)

-What kind of rewards would you like to see and for how much? (For example, higher level sponsorship might get your portrait done up as a zombie or non-ally NPC featured in the game.)

-How often would you want to see updates and what would you like us to showcase? (Again, keep in mind, doing updates takes time out of our schedule.)

In order to feel confident to put my money down I would like a video showing different aspects of the game. It would need to show how combat, relationships, trades, ect work if only a shallow view. During the video explain what is happening and how it will be expanded for the final game. This works two fold as we get to see your ideas come to life but also gain the insight to what you want the final development of these elements to look like.

As far as a time line for release, i think it would be best for you to make it. I have no idea how much time it would take for you to get to a full stand alone game if you develop it full time. One option if you do let the community decide is to release a beta at that said date instead. It will allow you many peoples feedback along with bug/crash reports. Maybe selecting a quarter  would be best as it gives some leeway for unseen problems.

The rewards could be getting a NPC named after you to getting a thank you in the credits depending on the amount given. But it think a cool one would be getting a zombie model made of you for the game. These should be proportional to the work they cause you to do.

As far as updates go, i think a news letter or post once a month would be good. Just send an email around the office and let each person add a paragraph about what happened this month good or bad. Then publish that, screens and videos are nice but cant be expected all the time. Not many people would really want to see a shot of code that fixed a bug. But a new NPC that looks different or building that got finished by the art team would be good.

Silver
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 03:25:38 pm »

Hi! First of all. I had to register myself after being "stalking" here since 2010, since announcement of the game. It's almost two years now for me being here, week to week, month to month. (took username in quick rush/accidentaly = wrong one, but that's okay I guess  Smile)

Now here are my thoughts:
The latest-current so-called update makes me really worried and a bit pessimistic about the future of the this game in development.
As I'm seeing it, there aren't just enough resources at the moment behind the team to fully commit on Dead State. Sideprojects and jobs etc.

Brian put it right - if you loose the momentum, the things get difficult, linger, and eventually may be dropped, of course not light heartedly, but this may be the bitter reality, and furthermore:
some of the team (don't know how many people) are also working on the AoD game, and it seems their being quite succesful lately - it means they are loving what they are doing, and sadly, but in time the priorites shift! One more serious "threat" why DS may start to loose the attention from devs it had before. Sequel, Prequel, and even DLCs, right  Wink = why not to work on a project that you love and same time works (and has so much to give to everybody) !?
I'm really concerned, and thus that giving my vocal and written (and if it happens, $£€) support to start a Kickstarter Project.

Not to be picky but you wouldn't be asking the advice or support from people if things aren't tough for you and seeing the opportunity you are considering of taking it, right.
 I really welcome and believe this is the proper way of approaching and explaining the delicate matter DS is having, addressing the audience/community/fans, being open-hearted and open-minded of the situation and the possible solution(s), not giving us some jibber-jabber.  Approve

About the time it should be started!?

Anytime soon: Devs see people are behind them, people see that devs are taking quick actions to protect what they (all) love. (Not worth of mentioning it builds trust.) Plus people who are not currently knowing about DS, but are on Kickstarter spending-supporting money spree are more likely to make their contribution.
(OT: I'm seeing Kickstarter heading either one of these roads: It changes the gaming (biz) industry, "from fans to fans" comes reality = the positive way
Kickstarter gets eventually many cheap, even fake ideas, it looses its "charm" and faith people had it in, nothing changes with exception of couple of great games already supported by the community.)

-We’re planning on showing off some of the gameplay we think represents the game. What would you like to see most to feel confident about contributing to the game? (Please don’t describe a fully complete game.)

As already said: Introducing the main idea of game and some different aspects of gameplay. How can you solve situations in different ways, risks, possibilites, etc.

-When would you want Dead State out by at the latest? (Keep in mind, no amount of money can make 10 people do the work of 25.)

2012 seems ridicilous sadly atm  Smile But somewhere in 2013, early Q2 ? Would even wait more if needed, wouldn't want to of course Smile
 Don't know how much is done. BUT the more you have done the more Kickstarter community will follow and support you. You are not starting from a scratch luckilly: you have a lot to show to gain the trust of the people.
Mentioning you have difficulties (all the reasons you are mentioned or will say) finishing the great idea you have and showing work done will be imho very nicely understood and accepted, supported.

-What kind of rewards would you like to see and for how much? (For example, higher level sponsorship might get your portrait done up as a zombie or non-ally NPC featured in the game.)

Rewards - the thing you can concentrate after taking the decision using the option Kickstarter Project can offer.
Also there are already quite good examples and "standards" on KS. (Given more money getting 2 digital copies etc is the nicest I think)
 Please just don't go against your ideas and the concept of the game. You don't have to give out opportunites for money to put "JoeCobb" "Zlatan from Sweden" or "Eskimo from Alaska" zombies or NPCs IF it ruins the atmosphere in/of the game. Of course you can do it if you think it's okay. Maybe some private party for around 15-20 people is nice for as extra bonus for people who can afford to spend more money than others.

-How often would you want to see updates and what would you like us to showcase? (Again, keep in mind, doing updates takes time out of our schedule.)

No strict schedule, but people shouldn't be in waiting anguish or smth like that Smile
Some general way it works and has worked for different people.
 Monthly would be great for a bit larger amount of info, but if it takes longer you can always write "next week some new info" along with 2-3 screenshots to satisfy the hunger meanwhile Smile
Video showing the game concept and different aspects would be great if person working on a game would give his/her voice on the video explaining things. Can't be shy or boring, sorry Smile So choose wisely but loosely words you are saying!
Showing and introducing different and main NPCs you'll be definetly meeting, but not giving anything much, a bit of weapons, tactics =the usual! You are creative, you can handle the showcase! Having financial backup/support and getting a lot of more time to concentrate on the game gives you unpainful and joyful time for making game updates, I'm sure.

Best of luck and a smooth ride Smile

SJ

p.s. sorry wor teh krammar, my gf and lil' sis are annoying me by now  Evil)
joshkrow
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 03:40:14 pm »

Yes! Another Monday update! I'll jump right into the questions.

-We’re planning on showing off some of the gameplay we think represents the game. What would you like to see most to feel confident about contributing to the game?

I really like the idea of a gameplay demo video with voiceover explaining some of the aspects of the game as well as showing them. I personally would like to see a simple battle play out as well as some of the equipment screens and menus showcasing various weapons, as well as some exploration of the world of dead state.

-When would you want Dead State out by at the latest?

I have no idea what would be reasonable here (as it feels like I have been anticipating this game for a long time), I would say 12 - 18 months.

-What kind of rewards would you like to see and for how much?

Early beta play for one of the lower end donations, "Mmm, Bison!" merch for a medium donation, zombies/non ally npc avatars/flavor text mentioning your name/etc. for a higher end donation.

-How often would you want to see updates and what would you like us to showcase?

The Monday updates have been great and I agree with one of the other comments that even an update saying you are busy is better than nothing. I would like to see showcased whatever you have available to show, but I would really like to know what your timeline is for the game realistically?
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 03:41:22 pm »

I don't have any specific comment on what rewards you should offer or what state gameplay should be in, but I don't think waiting for the initial Kickstarter rush to cool off is necessarily a good idea.  I don't think Kickstarter-funded games is going to be a fad, I think it's a new paradigm with a lot of life in it.  The massive funding success of the first few indies to jump into this reflects fifteen years of frustration by middle-aged gamers whose desires, nostalgia and place in the market has been completely ignored.  These people (me included) are established, comfortable, and think nothing of throwing $10, $20 or $50 into the pot if they think they can bring a piece of the good old days back.  Christ, how many hours a week do each of us spend reading (or writing) complaints about how effing great Planescape:Torment was, and when are they going to another, goddammit?

Only two things would stand in the way of making it work for Dead State:  no name recognition (untested/unrecognized developers), and no content.  Dead State has neither of those problems.  Go for it.
--EDIT--
Actually, I do have one piece of advice:  make a certain level of contribution a de facto pre-order.  If I think contributing at a certain level is also getting me a copy of the finished product, I'm completely sold.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Sin Slayers
Trashcan
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:41 pm »

Very good to see you back.

Descriptions of game play, or perhaps examples of game art. if the project doesn't change radically from the game which you've outlined already, then the key feature for me would be guaranteed linux support (you may even be able to, a la Wasteland 2, indicate different levels of funding at which multi-platform support becomes feasible). In general though, I just want to have an address to send the money to. I'll be an easy touch for this project.

I'd like to have the game within minutes of you folks being done with it, but my primary concern is that your team get the opportunity to finish it to your collective satisfaction.

Offering people the chance to have their name as background information in-game (on a poster, menu, sign of some kind); be a minor NPC or zombie; digital art book; wallpapers/desktop images; swag (posters or t-shirts, signed or unsigned depending on level). At certain levels, perhaps supporters could be listed in the game credits.

Update once or twice a month -- show off concept art, in-game images, more weapon examples, or perhaps environments. During the campaign the updates should likely be a little more frequent -- but at that point you're mostly talking about where you are in relation to the goals you've established for funding, and what different levels of funding mean for the project.

I'm really looking forward to being able to put money on the barrel to help this game get finished.

--EDIT--
And I'd like to second Scott's suggestion: make contributions of a certain level act as pre-orders.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:51:23 pm by Trashcan » Logged
subversus
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 03:58:24 pm »

I will back it up if:

1)it has a playable demo
2)it will have bi-weekly detailed updates
3)private forums where we can leave our feedback
4)beta some time down the line
5)release date - a year and half since the moment it's funded. It may get delayed by a few months IF some substantial reason for that is provided.

we also discuss these news here - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467075
Nerv
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 04:14:44 pm »

This post made me stop lurking for a while...

I agree with most of what has been said.

In general:
* Do not wait till W2 Kickstarter is over! I have seen many links to other games in the comments there! I also don’t think its a fad, but it will get saturated fast, and trust will break for a while when the first projects fail...
* Give a background of the Team (to prove experience).
* Mention V:TMB early. People love this game! (And rightly so).
* Make a Video (don’t try to be funny unless you are ;-))
* I think its a really important to show of as much of the design and philosophy of the game as possible. I think this post (http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2033.0.html) is essential to describing what you are trying to do.
* Show whatever part of the  game is already furthest along. So people see that its not vaporware
* Emphasise that preproduction (design documents; engine selection...) is finished, and you already have quiet a bit of development funded out of your own pocket

Rewards (more or less copy W2), but:
* make sure to have medium tier rewards (30-70$) with added digitial value only. Shipping is expensive and import taxes even more so. Many people don’t want a plastic disk)
* do not make to many of the highest level rewards. A statue of yourself in the game is a lot more valuable if there aren’t 20 other ones
* for the highest level reward maybe offer to name the school after the backer. (5000$ or so)

EDIT:

How could I forget this. Definitely support Mac&Linux. We are under served gamers!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:19:28 pm by Nerv » Logged
KyzBP
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 04:24:05 pm »

Long time lurker.  This finally brought me out of the shadows.

Updates: Once a month would be good and it it doesn't have to be spectacular, just honest.
When: I'd like to see the game release to coincide with maybe the season 3 finale of The Walking Dead aka this time next year.  My wife and I are seriously jonesing for our zombie fix right now.  I'd gladly wait until fall of 2013 if I have to.
Rewards:  I agree it would be cool to see your name on some in game content or an NPC.

Like a lot of people here, I grew up with a C64 and crave the turn based games of yesteryear.  I too am financially comfortable and don't mind paying and waiting for the kind of game I want to play and not trying to adapt myself to the games that are out now.

Side note: By pure coincidence I contributed to WL2 today BEFORE checking in here.
Ruinous
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 04:29:26 pm »

I backed Fargo's Wasteland 2 just on the possibility of getting that game. I'm looking at it as a pre-order which if it doesn't live up to expectations, they may as well have the money anyway as a thanks for all the great titles they've already given me over the years. Money is tight, but I felt it worthwhile.

I've been lurking these forums for years and know the teams behind AoD and Deadstate are worthy of respect and support. If a kickstarter was used for either I'd be contributing there as well, probably whatever would effectively pre-order the game. Unfortunately I've not the cash to throw around to truely reflect my appreciation of the work you guys have previously been involved in.

So long as people can see the development progressing, I feel a 'when its ready' is fine. When updates kinda stall, people do lose hope that the game would see completion.

Wasteland 2's reward structure seems reasonable enough to emulate, though I feel having too much stuff named after contributors is a bit hokey

-How often would you want to see updates and what would you like us to showcase?

Once a month and perhaps some short gameplay vids.

Edit : This topic is sure bringing us lurkers out into the open  Approve
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:31:50 pm by Ruinous » Logged
jcarford
DS Silver Patrons

'sblood!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 04:50:53 pm »

We lurkers continue to appear. I decided I might as well come out of the woodwork, register an account, and add my support for getting this ball rolling sooner rather than later. I think this might be relevant to the discussion:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga

Stoic has raised over 40,000 dollars in pledges in a very short amount of time. I don't know how progress on Dead State compares to what they are showing for Banner Saga, but if they can hit 100K, why not you? Disclaimer:  I honestly know nothing about making video games, so I apologize if that is a stupid question that can be answered with an extremely long laundry list of reasons.

For what it's worth, I would risk $15.00 on Dead State based solely on what I've seen here and on the website. With a slick gameplay trailer or some other evidence that this game was definitely going to be released, I would probably pony up to $75.00-100.00 depending on the pledge reward tiers. Having my name appear as filler in the game (as graffiti, in the name of a business, as a name mentioned in passing by an in-game book, etc.) would probably ben enough to induce me to drop a hundred bucks. Finally, I'd like to see the game come out by 2014, and monthly updates would be fine with me.

Good luck!

No enemy but time.
Darkthia

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 05:32:15 pm »

Great to see you back brian, i was getting worried there for a second.

I find myself agreeing alot with both Starwars and Scott on this issue, you have name recognition, the kickstarter hype to ride on,  you've been a part of some great games that are renowned all over the internet. The time is now.

I would definitely recommend a preorder reward for donating.
I'd like to see a basic combat system and a basic dialogue system(showing choices and consequences if its possible).
The only thing for kickstarter that I would urge is to give at least a month inbetween you and any other classical rpg dev(to give the less well off of us a greater chance to donate freely).

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 05:33:06 pm »

To the new, de-lurked, and old posters - thanks for the feedback!
catmorbid

"There's more to the picture, than meets the eye"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 05:57:48 pm »

Great to finally hearing from you. I was expecting something like this, but knowing the project is still alive is good news to me.

Definitely some combat, dialogue and if the base management has some specific UI, that.

Depends really on how far into it you are. Let's say, by the end of 2013.

Zombified supporters is a great idea, but for the greater rewards, how about some sort of very small personified story. E.g. it could be as small as finding the corpse of a dead survivor with a diary telling about his last hours or some other fluff stuff like that. Might be hard to do so it makes any sense at all as well as gives the supporter a worthy reward, but something like that feels like it could fit into the theme...

I would prefer as open approach to developing as possible, however, a steady monthly progress update would probably suffice.

"There's more to the picture, than meets the eye"
KyzBP
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 05:59:28 pm »

...and let me add

Since DS and WL2 would attract a similar crowd I will be the first to post on the WL2 forum about DS once Brian and the gang give the thumbs up  Approve.

Brian

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 06:08:07 pm »

...and let me add

Since DS and WL2 would attract a similar crowd I will be the first to post on the WL2 forum about DS once Brian and the gang give the thumbs up  Approve.

I'm not sure what the WL2 board policy is on that. If there's a "general discussion" or "RPG discussion" thread, go for it, but otherwise don't. Most likely, we have a lot of crossover for our games already.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: