Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kill it with fire  (Read 4462 times)
Darkthia

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »

Grin

My mind autocorrected that to "Sun revolved around the Earth" when I read Darkthia's post, I thought he found it stupid because of the "Cylons war" comparison.

I actually put that quote in the middle to see if people would notice it, I guess I did it a little too well. Wink

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Gregorus Prime

Cheese and Whine Distributed Freely

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2012, 01:28:04 AM »

He also is just plain wrong about a number of important things. He somehow thinks the message of Mass Effect is that humans are not all that important in the grand scheme of things? Has he fucking played the games? It's basically HUMANITY, FUCK YEAH, COMING AGAIN TO SAVE THE MOTHERFUCKING DAY, YEAH! the whole way through. It takes a human SPECTRE to stop Saren, and a human to solve the problems not only of humans but of other races as well, and a human to gather together forces to save the galaxy. Their firepower is so overwhelming the Council makes them full members pretty much immediately and their military tactics are so dazzling and unconventional that the poor aliens don't know what to do and have to call in their whole Asari fleet to stop the First Contact War.

God, how the mighty have fallen. Looking back at how I used to feel about ME2 I cringe, because honestly, you really could see this coming. No real plot, shifting focus, writing stupidity... It's really, really sad. Mass Effect could have been so much more. Now it's another victim of Bioware's death throes, with laziness and incompetence visible throughout.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2012, 04:16:06 AM »

But hey, on the plus side there is co-op shooter gameplay included now!  lol

Trolololol.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Villfarelse
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55:00 AM »

Another thing that bothers me a lot about the whole series, really, is the blatantly fascist, military-idolising undertones and subsequent loathing of politicians. The whole "politicians and diplomats are useless, all they do is buckets and talk; it takes the military and real men and strong leaders to actually accomplish anything!" thing they've got going. Makes me cringe every time.
Darkthia

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2012, 05:42:46 AM »

blatantly fascist, military-idolising undertones and subsequent loathing of politicians. The whole "politicians and diplomats are useless, all they do is buckets and talk; it takes the military and real men and strong leaders to actually accomplish anything!" thing they've got going. Makes me cringe every time.

well, someones never been to america.  Haha, no

on a serious note: this is pretty much what a very large and loud section of america believes, so much so, that i would believe it if you had quoted it from joe blow.

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Drav

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »

I think you might be reading too much into it. I'd say it's just there to serve as a lame excuse for why a lone warrior and his bros are the only ones who can save the universe.
Villfarelse
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2012, 12:23:48 PM »

Well, I doubt it's some kind of intentional agenda and more the personal opinions of the writers poking their head out (you, similar to whatshername's gay fetish), but regardless of why it's there it's still there. From the dialogue to the characterization of the diplomats and politicians contra officers.

well, someones never been to america.  Haha, no

on a serious note: this is pretty much what a very large and loud section of america believes, so much so, that i would believe it if you had quoted it from joe blow.

Sad
Darkthia

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »

I think you might be reading too much into it. I'd say it's just there to serve as a lame excuse for why a lone warrior and his bros are the only ones who can save the universe.

i don't mean to say its some kind of conspiracy or anything.

When i said a very large portion of america believes this, that assumedly includes game writers, they just wrote a story that the average american will agree with.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »

Another thing that bothers me a lot about the whole series, really, is the blatantly fascist, military-idolising undertones and subsequent loathing of politicians. The whole "politicians and diplomats are useless, all they do is buckets and talk; it takes the military and real men and strong leaders to actually accomplish anything!" thing they've got going. Makes me cringe every time.
Well, it's a shooter, aint it?
Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »

God, how the mighty have fallen. Looking back at how I used to feel about ME2 I cringe, because honestly, you really could see this coming. No real plot, shifting focus, writing stupidity... It's really, really sad. Mass Effect could have been so much more. Now it's another victim of Bioware's death throes, with laziness and incompetence visible throughout.
Yeah, except it was plainly visible in every one of their games from ME1 on.

i don't mean to say its some kind of conspiracy or anything.

When i said a very large portion of america believes this, that assumedly includes game writers, they just wrote a story that the average american will agree with.
It's just part of the American Wild West mythos. Of course those guys are Canadian, so wtf?

Secondly--MURDER? Merely because I had planned the duel and provoked the quarrel! Never had I heard anything so preposterous.
Gregorus Prime

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 06:53:50 AM »

Wow, you guys are reading into this way too much. Haven't you ever seen an action movie? The useless politician's a cliche, there for SMASH LAMPJAW to punch out when he starts bereaucracy-ing up the place like some kind of faggot when the obvious solution is to blow shit up.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 04:14:21 PM »

Update - looks like the Jennifer Hepler image is largely fabricated, she's not on the ME3 team. My apologies.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Gregorus Prime

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »

No, just that post about gay Shepard was fabricated. The rest are all real quotes.

She's not working on ME3 but people fixate on her as everything wrong with Bioware. As one of their writers and someone they're actively using as a public face of the studio, they've got a crappy yaoi slashfic writer who hates playing video games doing Q&As on Twitter and immediately playing the sexism card the instant someone gives her shit for being a bad writer and having the whole pitiful affair spiral out of control from there. Then Bioware donates CD$1000 to an anti-bullying campaign (yes, one thousand dollars) and says SHAME ON YOU REDDIT (which /v/ is brilliantly using as a patsy to pin the blame on).
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2012, 05:44:18 AM »

Say what you want, but I personally think sending hatemail, making threatening calls and posting stuff somwhere between "fabricated" and "selectively edited" is far worse, and far more worthy of hatred and ridicule than posting one's god damn honest opinion about one's job, even if I don't like her opinion.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061128812#post1061128812

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Drav

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »

The Dragon Age 2 jihad is still going strong.

Not really surprised that Bioware have gone out of their way to take the moral high ground on this one, since that's about the only time they ever get a chance to look like the "good guys" anymore.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:21:53 AM by Drav » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: