Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Lost Magic  (Read 103787 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 12:53:33 pm »

Part 6 - The Final Chapter?

Well, at this stage you should have a good idea of what the game is like, so I should probably stop and let you discover the rest yourself. It is a pretty good game that's very easy to get into (the text pop ups will draw you in before you know it).

So, here is the final batch of the screens with a epic battle at the end (that's the first fight the game offers you in Lowangen and it's not scaled to your level at all). 16 opponents, some of them are veterans and magicians. Fuck, and I thought that some AoD battles were hard.

You have 10 days to recover the real Salamander Stone (yeah, there is a fake one). You get a warning after 7 days, if you ignore it, the game ends in 3 more days saying that the stone has been smuggled out of the town while you were scratching your ass.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:55:16 pm by Vince » Logged
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 04:19:11 pm »

Sigh. Went to GoG for RoA. Left with 12 games.  Mad

Oh man, I guess I got lucky - I was only forced to buy 8.

RoA 3 had been my choice of free game with The Witcher 2, but I hadn't picked up RoA 1 and 2 until now. Also got the Ultima 7 package, the Ultima Underworld set, Little Big Adventure (numero uno - figured I could always buy number two later), The Last Express (one of my all-time favorites, hands down), Darklands, Fahrenheit (can't find my Indigo Prophecy disks and the GOG version is better anyway), and Chessmaster 9000 ('bout damn time I re-learned how to be halfway okay at chess).

Thanks for posting this LP, Vince. It motivated me not just to buy new GOG games, but also to dig back into the ones I already have but haven't played yet. Happily, this coincides with the start of a new year in which, so far, I'm not looking forward to many new games at all (especially coming after a year with lots of games that were really worth playing).

The only problem is that now I really want to install XP on my MacBook Air so I can play these GOG games on the road. Sad
Villfarelse
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 07:12:06 pm »

Yes, I concur. Thanks for writing this, Vince. I now have yet another interesting game added onto my to-buy list.
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 07:21:42 pm »

Okay, I think I'm startin to get into this (Sternenschweif aka Startrail). Quick question before I go to sleep, some of my guys seem a little worse for wear after several nights in the wilderness. Is this due to low nature stats? Is there anything I can do to get rid of it? Sleeping in an Inn I found on the way didn't help.

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 11:16:55 pm »

Not sure what the problem is, but I assume that "worse for wear" means sick or hungry (ran out of food and lose HP steadily) or both. If they are sick (you should be informed that they aren't feeling good and their stats dropped), you should heal them before they get worse and die.

You can use cure disease elixirs, try to make it to a healer in one of the towns, or use a skill (if you have one). Using a skill (cure disease) requires the right herbs, so you should use buy a few or rely on your Gather Herbs skill.

Also, as I mentioned before, having the right equipment will reduce the chance of getting sick.
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 05:00:16 am »

Not sure what the problem is, but I assume that "worse for wear" means sick or hungry (ran out of food and lose HP steadily) or both. If they are sick (you should be informed that they aren't feeling good and their stats dropped), you should heal them before they get worse and die.

You can use cure disease elixirs, try to make it to a healer in one of the towns, or use a skill (if you have one). Using a skill (cure disease) requires the right herbs, so you should use buy a few or rely on your Gather Herbs skill.

Also, as I mentioned before, having the right equipment will reduce the chance of getting sick.

Yeah, after I skimmed this thread again I am 99% sure they are sick. Let's hope I have the right herbs Wink Thanks for the reply, anyway.

I haven't fully figured out the travel screen yet, I have no idea where I'll end up Grin but that first battle with the Orcs was pretty glorious, with a bit of luck and the blind spell I was able to do it without casualties.

Edit: Ah, so cloaks it was what I was missing! I hardly reached the city, almost everybody was sick. Kind of...well let's say old school and leave it at that.

Edit2: Couldn't buy cloaks in the starting town, but sleeping bags. Now, onwards!

Edit3: Reached Goshak. No sickness now that I have sleeping bags. A few small battles that I won quite easily by generous use of the blind spell and ganging up on enemies one by one. How does dual wielding work, anyone know? Hope I can finally buy arrows here, my hunter ran out. My copy of the game came with a map, thankfully. Very helpful. (I'm writing this down kind of randomly, but maybe this helps anyone else trying to get into it)

Edit4: Towns can have different exit points and depending on where you want to go, you have to find the right one...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:21:05 am by erbgor » Logged

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Villfarelse
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 09:02:23 am »

The whole travel system sounds like great fun in itself, really.
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 03:09:30 pm »

The whole travel system sounds like great fun in itself, really.

Exactly the kind of wonderful, abstracted, highly effective system we'll never, ever see from current AAA games obsessed with "realism" and "immersion".
Villfarelse
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 04:14:17 pm »

I wouldn't call it very abstracted at all, from what it sounds like Tongue

I started playing Baldur's Gate (oldest fantasy game I own) in an attempt to quell my excitement for this game. It was a very bad idea. Walking all over the Sword Coast, saving the world and never having to replace your boots? How trite epicness is! Really, this travel system sounds more like a deconstruction of epic fantasy. Arrived at the dungeon, ready to kick some serious monster ass? Sorry, your character got a cold on the road because he forgot to bring a cloak and now it's worsened into pneumonia. Have fun trying to swing that sword when you can hardly breathe and have a temp of above 40°! Sounds fantastic. I really should stop fantasising about it, I'm going to hype this way out of porportion just by myself.
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 08:46:16 am »

rrived at the dungeon, ready to kick some serious monster ass? Sorry, your character got a cold on the road because he forgot to bring a cloak and now it's worsened into pneumonia. Have fun trying to swing that sword when you can hardly breathe and have a temp of above 40°! Sounds fantastic. I really should stop fantasising about it, I'm going to hype this way out of porportion just by myself.

Uhm, yeah. Why don't you play it and then tell us about how much you love it? lol

Villfarelse
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 11:10:46 am »

Mainly because it's not half as fun, but also because I still haven't dealt with my card issues. I am a procastrinating bastard. Wink
inhuman
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 05:25:08 pm »

Hey where's the brofist button? ITS is so outdated!

suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 12:02:42 pm »

I wouldn't call it very abstracted at all, from what it sounds like Tongue

I forgot to respond to this two months ago - sue me. Wink

By "abstracted", I mean "presented in game systems rather than direct character engagment" - or something like that. I don't mean less complex; I'm just contrasting abstraction with the current fetish for first-person "immersion" intended to directly (non-mimetically, non-abstractly) represent a character's experience. In this sense, I think the game's travel system is abstracted. If Bethesda were doing it, they'd make it entirely first-person and direct.

Maybe "abstracted" isn't the best word for this contrast. I'm open to other suggestions. But I think the distinction is key, because modern games are too often designed around an unattainable (and false) ideal of Hollywood-like immersive epicness rather than "artificial" (but equally "immersive", in my view) systems like you might find in (gasp!) a sophisticated board game.
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2012, 12:12:32 pm »

You can get ROA 1 and 2 for free on GOG right now if you fill out their survey: http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_annual_survey_get_a_game_for_free

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
Villfarelse
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 04:30:31 pm »

Great! Many thanks for the tip.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: