Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD October Update  (Read 12355 times)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:46:35 AM »

Welcome to a new monthly AoD update! Since the point of these updates is to show you what we have been doing and our progress with the game, we decided the post the changelog of all fixes, changes and improvements made to the game during the Beta process. So, without further to do, the changelog for AoD:

Fixes:

- Fixed swapped values for trading and lore.
- Male and female thieves have the same starting stats.
- Fixed throwing and dexterity checks in the thief vignette.
- Master/Mistress gender tag fixed.
- Fixed minor passability problems in Teron.
- Fixed minor issues with shields.
- Now it's possible to save the game.
- Now you can't access Cassius hovel exit from the AG1 one.
- Fixed cameras for the MG questline.
- Fixed the lag when the mission starts, still need to hide some of the model loading.
- Critical stat damage show correct values when under 4.
- Multishot is fixed.
- Can't kill opponents more than one time with dagger flurry.
- Character models skin was being rendered twice. Fixing this netted a 10% increase in performance.
- Fixed sneak check in thieves vignette.
- Fixed issue when offering taking out the mine to the bandits.
- Fixed etiquette check when joining Daratan.
- Fixed issues with savegames.
- Fixed persuasion check in Antidas dialogue in MG3.
- Fixed issue with dialogue about the mandate in TG1.
- Fixed some camera issues in Dellar and Antidas dialogues.
- Fixed and redesigned the MG3 quest.
- Corrected lots of typos.
- Feng disappears after betraying him with Cassius.
- Now you can see the bandit leader when sending them to take over the mine, plus fight him.
- Fixed some broken logic in the mine and bandit quests.
- Added a way to see Cassius when he joined Daratan through Dellar.
- The TA is working now. Check for issues.
- Fixed bug with not being able to leave the inn room when loading a savegame inside it. Fixed other instances of this bug.
- Fixed the "immortal character" glitch.
- Fixed issues with Whirlwind.
- Fixed issues with party system.
- Fixed some problems with the civil AI when loading a game.
- You can't access Cassius hovel exit from the AG1 one. For real this time.
- Fixed some issues with grids and terrains.
- Now Feng removes the eye of thor-agoth from you.
- You can start IG3 after completing MG2 by choosing to betray the MG.
- Fixed a loop with Linos and Antidas when you avoid getting expelled in MG3.
- Fixed issues when cheating Mercato in MG1.
- Fixed an issue in AG1 with floating weapons when finding the documents.
- Giving the gold to Esbenus removes it from your inventory.
- The bandits take the gold when they ask 600 for the prisioner.
- Cado now takes the goblet from you.
- Fixed issues with the option of sending the raiders to attack the mine.
- Fixed issue with Dellar giving you the quests again when saving Cassius.
- Added the check for the Daratan ring at the gate in TG3.
- Intimidate line in TG3 against the mob now works.
- You can't show the mandate to the mob in TG3 if you never got it.
- You get gold from Cado after TG2.
- Fixed doors in the fort.
- Fixed camera problems in IG1.
- Fixed some issues in the mercenary vignette.
- Fixed Teron staying at night when escaping the mine sneak sequence.
- Fixed the lack of lore check in recognizing the tube at the mine outpost.
- You can't show the mandate to gate guards in TG3 if you never got it.
- Fixed the bodycount check with Antidas in the TA.
- Killing guys in the TA now adds to bodycount.

Changes:

- Gave ranged characters more ammo.
- Increased starting gold.
- Thugs in mercenary and drifter vignettes are slightly weaker.
- Added some more skill points in character creation.
- Cassius is now spawned when Feng tells you about him, and you have an option to exit the conversation. If you finish a guild questline, the quest is autoresolved (enough time has passed for him to finally meet Antidas).
- Added monetary rewards for several quests.
- Added an option to back away from the fight with the thugs in the mercenary and drifter vignettes.
- In the AG1 fight, "Best weapon" gets no longer auto-equipped.
- Minor changes to starting skills.
- Changes to the THC formula.
- First Daratan Quest implemented (there is a draft of the implementation of Q2, but it's not finished, don't report bugs about it).
- Changed where SP are gained in the MG3 quest.
- All the Daratan quests are implemented.
- Added a "ring" in the fort for the fight in IG1.
- Some small changes to target selection for the AI. Should be a little less stupid now.
- Made some changes to the equipment of the Raiders in the raiders camp.
- Whirldwind now THC by 10% (was 20% before).
- Much higher camera height.

Improvements:

- Improvements to the character screen looks, plus now has descriptions for all stats and reputations.
- Now you get a description overhead text when you are near an important location.
- When you enter an important building for the first time, you get a description of it.
- Camera can zoom closer and tilt a little more.
- Made walking and running speed faster.
- New shadow distance algorithm, with sharper shadows at no performance loss, plus better performance at tilts higher than 45º and it's more fexibile, allowing other camera angles without graphical artifacts.
- Added a new model for Feng's house, making it stand out more.
- Improved the looks of the area around Feng's house and the inn.
- Made it clearer in the loremaster vignette that a night passes.
- Made better transitions in TG1.
- Expanded the loremaster vignette, adding the option to buy an artifact of the olden days.
- Added the option to go to Feng in Assassin Vignette.
- Added an extra conversation with Feng about guilds if you are his apprentice.
- Improved the look of the terrain in the Plaza.
- Added some ambient sounds (thanks to GhanBuriGhan). More to be added.
- Added a storyteller at the inn, who fleshes out the lore of the game.
- Configured HDR and SSAO. Enable and disable them using these commands in the console: SSAOPostFX.enable(); SSAOPostFX.disable(); HDRPostFX.enable(); HDRPostFX.disable();
- Added some extra sounds. Will add more later.
- New Intimidate checks: They include checks to body count, combat reputation and stats like strength, dexterity and constitution.

Plus a couple of screens for you graphics whores:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:41:12 PM by Oscar » Logged

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
goodson
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 12:09:19 AM »

looking good
haplo
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:11:03 AM »

The only comment I can make, everything is pretty impressive, especially improvement. Looking forward to trying demo.

One more thing that caught my eye, after seeing quite a few screenshots,  many buildings create an impression of huge backwardness of the current civlization.
I am not sure if this was design decision to imply that level of society was thrown back to stone age,  or simply something that was overlooked.  If there are plans on redesigning structures, it might be a good idea to pay extra attention to the appearence of buildings from the old age to make them appear like monuments from once advanced and now vanished civilization.

(maybe by adding marble structures, roman like temples residences, this would make a Rome like setting more congruent)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:14:01 AM by haplo » Logged

"What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning." - Werner Heisenberg
Gregorus Prime

Cheese and Whine Distributed Freely

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:05:20 AM »

Gotta say, my experience with beta testing so far has been frustrating because I can't find anything that isn't already being worked on, apart from minor text bugs and the like. This game's come damn far and it looks very good in action, save the occasional FPS hiccup, which is to be expected in a game at this stage. So far though I'm quite happy to be a part of the beta process and simply familiarizing myself with all the avenues of play available has been quite fun, and I'm getting some testing time in whenever I have the chance.

And yes, it really does look that good  8)

The only comment I can make, everything is pretty impressive, especially improvement. Looking forward to trying demo.

One more thing that caught my eye, after seeing quite a few screenshots,  many buildings create an impression of huge backwardness of the current civlization.
I am not sure if this was design decision to imply that level of society was thrown back to stone age,  or simply something that was overlooked.  If there are plans on redesigning structures, it might be a good idea to pay extra attention to the appearence of buildings from the old age to make them appear like monuments from once advanced and now vanished civilization.

(maybe by adding marble structures, roman like temples residences, this would make a Rome like setting more congruent)

Don't judge it just by Teron alone. Antidas' palace looks quite stereotypically Roman, but the town as a whole is a ruined, worthless shithole, as several characters will tell you -- actually, been thinking of making a suggestion about changing up the cursing a bit more for variety's sake. It's appropriate that the stuff you're looking at is so shitty (in an aesthetic sense, I mean).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:12:57 AM by Gregorus Prime » Logged
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »

I can't keep up with the gameplay changes anymore! When I get to play the demo I'm sure it'll be quite different from the last release candidate I played (RC2).

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 04:01:46 AM »

Gah, crunch at work is killing me. I hope to get some time with this RC this week. :/

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 05:12:40 AM »

Beta testing team keeps the poor ITS guys quite busy, and the list of things left to fix and/or implement is probably at least as long as the one Oscar posted above. And unfortunately for ITS of course, years of hanging out on these forums have trained us too well to question everything and probably make way too many well-intentioned suggestions. Don't worry though, Oscar and Vince are quite good at sorting through it and prioritizing. And, as Gregorus pointed out, the bug-list is not growing that fast anymore, so the turning point has hopefully been reached. Still it will definitely be a hot October for the team.  Neutral
One thing to keep in mind is that AoD is really hard to test. The script of Teron alone is a multibranched monster, and it is really hard (maybe not even possible) to test all possible permutations. And thats only the demo -I shudder at the thought of testing the whole game. Suffice to say I understand a little better now why developers shy away from this sort of thing. But of course thats also the appeal of the game.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
kyosuke
DS Gold Patrons

I am hungry.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:23:02 AM »

Looks at the changelog and the pics.  Neutral

Fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap.

Good stuff. Approve

I lurk.
And I have an weird sense of humour.
Gregorus Prime

Cheese and Whine Distributed Freely

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 07:32:42 AM »

Beta testing team keeps the poor ITS guys quite busy, and the list of things left to fix and/or implement is probably at least as long as the one Oscar posted above. And unfortunately for ITS of course, years of hanging out on these forums have trained us too well to question everything and probably make way too many well-intentioned suggestions. Don't worry though, Oscar and Vince are quite good at sorting through it and prioritizing. And, as Gregorus pointed out, the bug-list is not growing that fast anymore, so the turning point has hopefully been reached. Still it will definitely be a hot October for the team.  Neutral
One thing to keep in mind is that AoD is really hard to test. The script of Teron alone is a multibranched monster, and it is really hard (maybe not even possible) to test all possible permutations. And thats only the demo -I shudder at the thought of testing the whole game. Suffice to say I understand a little better now why developers shy away from this sort of thing. But of course thats also the appeal of the game.

Honestly I think I'll stick mostly to text bugs for now, more in the realm of being a grammar nazi than anything else. I've got a few niggling bits screenshotted but I'm holding off on reporting anything until I get a nice big list put together. Oh, and quit your whining about having to test all the possible permutations. It's just a little demo. Try doing this sort of stuff on single-player RTS campaign maps for 80 hours a week, figuring out exactly what spot having that massed group of Necron Immortals is stepping on to break the final cutscene for the Eldar stronghold because a shuriken turret is attacking something it can't hit and isn't in the right state for the scene to continue. And then have something like half of your reported bugs never get fixed because the developer is going out of business and losing employees like rats off a sinking ship in the final stages of development.

I really don't miss that job.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:38:26 AM by Gregorus Prime » Logged
Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:4 P:10 I:10 Ch:4 Th 5 Bl 8 CS 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:33:09 AM »

Those who did not read other threads, some impression from the beta:
(click to show/hide)

Combat differences:
(click to show/hide)

Good people disobey bad laws.
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:32:48 AM »

WHAT, NO ORCS ?!
This update SUCKS !

Wink
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 01:01:12 PM »

WHAT, NO ORCS ?!
This update SUCKS !
Chill, man!  They've got to save something for the Gamespot exclusive.

My novel is published! DREAMLANDS
Jaesun
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »

- Increased starting gold.

And thus, the pop-a-mole began....

Update sounds awesome. Love the new pics too.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 02:38:46 PM »

We just couldn't say no to our testers.

Fryjar
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »

So, from the testers perspective, are the implemented changes already helping the dialogue flow?
From the change log descriptions I infer that you are mostly sticking with the original premise and try to add significant dialogue choices when they make sense.

May I ask why you don't want to implement the suggestion of more minor c&c (as brought up by several beta testers and regular readers alike, i.e. dialogue choices that just alter rewards or modfy reputation points, info gain etc. instead of completely changing the path a conversation takes)? Is it mostly to stay true to the original dialogue concept or are there other problems with this approach?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: