Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of Decadence (Moderator: Vahhabyte)Brainstorming : tips for loading screens
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brainstorming : tips for loading screens  (Read 3765 times)
Osiris Khenty-Amenty
Novice

Djedin sekhty pen...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 09:07:41 AM »

If you wanted to do something cool, you could tell a few side-stories through the loading hints. Just  some small narratives to flesh out the backstory. So you might have one that goes something like:

(1.) The last emperor was Glycerius VI Boanerges, who was overthrown by Annaeus Gaiseric, the leader of the imperial army in AF 3.

(2.) The empire didn't collapse all at once. Areas in the north continued to recognise the last emperor's son, Flavius Glycerius, into the first century AF.

(3.) After the last emperor was deposed, the Empire split into six kingdoms, the largest being ruled by Annaeus Gaiseric, the former leader of the imperial army.

Just an example - I'm not sure how this fits with the actual AoD backstory. But it's a nice way to flesh out the game-world a bit without info-dump dialogues, or Mass Effect-style codex entries, and avoids the player reading "save often and in different slots" every ten to twenty minutes.

The pointy end of the sword goes into the other man.
To defeat the minotaur golem, hit him until he dies.
Remember, you can construct an entire sentence out of the word "fuck." Fuck fucking fuckers.
Or you could do this.  lol

"Extinguished is the flame!
The flame-serpent is not to be found in the house of he who possesses Ombos.
It is a serpent which will bite, which has slipped into the house of him whom it will bite, that it may remain in it."
Darkthia

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 08:51:37 AM »

one of my favorite loading screens in a game is from the total war series, great inspirational quotes form historic persons.

so maybe a combination of quotes, history, and gag tips(like the minotaur one).

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:4 P:10 I:10 Ch:4 Th 5 Bl 8 CS 7

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2012, 06:04:56 PM »

On critical strikes:
25% chance of Strength damage.
25% chance of Dexterity damage.
25% chance of Constitution damage.
15% chance of Perception damage.
10% chance of no damage to stats.

3 AP Weapons = 1.5x
4 AP Weapons = 1.4x
5 AP Weapons = 1.3x
6 AP Weapons = 1.2x

- If there is a critical strike on an aimed attack, one of your attributes get reduced by one following this table:

Aimed Head: -1 to Perception (plus the knockdown).
Aimed Torso: -1 to Constitution
Aimed Arms: -1 to Strength
Aimed Legs: -1 to Dexterity
There is no extra damage here.

- A critical hit that lowers a stat to 2 results in instant death. This makes sense (having stats so low would make you a permanent cripple), plus there are ways to avoid it (don't place many combat stats at 4, use a lot of critical protection armors). Also we are making cool text descriptions for them. Social stats won't be affected (intelligence and charisma).

Good people disobey bad laws.
MidnightSun
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2012, 07:20:04 PM »

On critical strikes:
25% chance of Strength damage.
25% chance of Dexterity damage.
25% chance of Constitution damage.
15% chance of Perception damage.
10% chance of no damage to stats.

3 AP Weapons = 1.5x
4 AP Weapons = 1.4x
5 AP Weapons = 1.3x
6 AP Weapons = 1.2x

- If there is a critical strike on an aimed attack, one of your attributes get reduced by one following this table:

Aimed Head: -1 to Perception (plus the knockdown).
Aimed Torso: -1 to Constitution
Aimed Arms: -1 to Strength
Aimed Legs: -1 to Dexterity
There is no extra damage here.

- A critical hit that lowers a stat to 2 results in instant death. This makes sense (having stats so low would make you a permanent cripple), plus there are ways to avoid it (don't place many combat stats at 4, use a lot of critical protection armors). Also we are making cool text descriptions for them. Social stats won't be affected (intelligence and charisma).

Wait, does that mean a critical strike on torso would effectively reduce target's hitpoints by 5 as per Constitution modifier? That is huge. I would certainly go for torso a lot more, it just seems more beneficial. I'm trying to put this in some way so I don't sound like an asshole. But why would a Critical oriented character ever go for anything else? It would make sense for an assassin to go for the head (read: throat) but the knockdown doesn't do much as you still need to close in to the target and the damage to Constitution is just so much more powerful.
Esquilax
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »

Wait, does that mean a critical strike on torso would effectively reduce target's hitpoints by 5 as per Constitution modifier? That is huge. I would certainly go for torso a lot more, it just seems more beneficial. I'm trying to put this in some way so I don't sound like an asshole. But why would a Critical oriented character ever go for anything else? It would make sense for an assassin to go for the head (read: throat) but the knockdown doesn't do much as you still need to close in to the target and the damage to Constitution is just so much more powerful.

I don't think it's quite as great as you've described. I'd still rather get a crit to the head because it means my opponent is KOed for two rounds. By the time he gets up he's either dead or close to it. Crit protection on helmets is significantly less than in body armor, so I'm also more likely to land significant damage with a head shot. Aimed strikes on the arms will still remain useful to stifle a dangerous opponent wielding a two-hander.

Honestly, I thought torso strikes were kinda useless in the combat demo. Too much AP cost for too little damage, particularly since the body armor would absorb a lot of it. I would go for a Power Attack over a torso strike every single time for that reason. If anything, I think that the changes to Critical Strike make torso strikes actually useful this time.
Vahhabyte

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »

Well, a successful critical requires many attempts, and aimed attacks require many APs, plus Torso attacks have a lower THC, and finally decreasing Con only decreases max HP and poison resistance.

MidnightSun
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »

I didn't realise it's KO for two rounds. It certainly didn't seem this long for me, maybe I wasn't paying much attention. That's a lot. I was under assumption that they become a free target whilst prone and have to spend some action points to get up. Of course this changes everything.
Vahhabyte

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 09:10:55 PM »

Shooters are never a problem when you have a tower shield and an Imperial Armor. But pilum (shield pierce) and throwing axe (shield split) tossers probably are.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: