Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Questions for the Dead State Team  (Read 328086 times)
Brian

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:21:58 am »

Post all specific questions for the developers here. This topic is meant to alleviate some of the random posts on the board which are wondering about specific features in the game. Only post questions about Dead State, not suggestions here. Before you post, please do the following:

-Read the FAQ.
-Please read the FAQ.
-Look for active threads that might already answer your question.
-It would help if you read through some of the QA topics and press interviews to see if we have already explained something.
-Did I mention the FAQ?
-Read through the answers on this thread to see if your question has already been answered.

The developers may not always answer your question, but we'll try to answer most of them. Please keep the discussion confined to questions or follow-up questions. Thanks!
k0rr
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:15:29 am »

1. Have you guys said anything about how sleep is going to work in the game? I'm assuming you would want someone to at the very least awaken everyone if zombies are crawling into the shelter. Basically, any detailed plans for night-time mechanics?

2. Will you have to account for fatigue levels (will survivors need sleep)?

3. When you're out of TUs during the zombies' turn, can you dodge/retaliate (Or would you only be able to dodge/retaliate if you had some amount of TUs leftover)?

This game is lookin' sharp! Approve
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:06:32 am »

Hey k0rr, welcome to the forums.

The FAQ mentions fatigue in a couple places, and there's a section on "Can I go out at night?".

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
HeinrichDM
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:36 am »

I have a question:

Is there a possibility to examine objects or other environmental elements like in fallout 1, 2?
MagFlare
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 12:12:09 pm »

Is the game being developed with moddability in mind? If so, do you anticipate releasing DLC, and will you release tools to help foster a modding community?

tkobo
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:37:18 pm »

After this is released,if it becomes a hit like it should,can the second game in the series please be "more" open world and have no time limit ?
Goweigus
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:43:26 pm »

After this is released,if it becomes a hit like it should,can the second game in the series please be "more" open world and have no time limit ?

Nah Next game should be successful Zombie MMO
 Panic
tkobo
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:02:53 pm »

Sadly,they cant pull off an MMO, and if they farm the work out, we'll end up with the same dreck we already have far too much of from the mmo industry.Though the name WoZ is kinda catchy......we'll have to wait til a competent MMO dev team forms.
Which were it too actually ever happen,would no doubt not even call their game an MMO ,as associating their work with a product industry of such complete dreck would just have to seem wrong to someone who actually produced a quality product.

Brian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:09:54 pm »

3. When you're out of TUs during the zombies' turn, can you dodge/retaliate (Or would you only be able to dodge/retaliate if you had some amount of TUs leftover)?

Evasion is a property of your agility skill versus the attacker's weapon skill/attack type. The higher your agility and the lower their ranged/melee skill (depending on the attack), the better your chance of dodging. Ranged attackers are less likely to hit you at a distance if their ranged skill/weapon range is low.

Counterattacking is a function of certain weapons (mostly the knife class). As long as you have a counterattack weapon equipped as your primary or secondary weapon, you have a chance to counterattack (based on the weapon's chance).

Combat order is determined by initiative, which is derived from the perception skill. There aren't any interrupts - all order is determined by initiative - for example, a turn could play out like:

1.Enemy
2.Player
3.Enemy
4.Ally
5.Enemy
6.Ally
7.Ally

Zombies always have the lowest initiative - they will only go first if they start combat. (For instance, you haven't spotted them and they get the drop on you.)

I have a question:

Is there a possibility to examine objects or other environmental elements like in fallout 1, 2?

In what way? To "use" items or read notes/signs? In that case, yes.

Is the game being developed with moddability in mind? If so, do you anticipate releasing DLC, and will you release tools to help foster a modding community?

We are not developing the game with moddability at release. We will most likely be doing some form of DLC/expanded content, but we're concentrating our efforts on the main game at the moment.
Blaster
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 02:44:56 pm »

(This was taken from the Scavengers thread and pasted here for sake of convenience)

Quote from: Brian
Scavenger/looter types in our game are loose bands of desperate people looking for supplies. Their behaviors vary a great deal, but tend to gravitate toward fleeing immediately, running if injured, or defending a fortified position. They're not organized and they're generally trying to avoid others for fear of contamination, theft, attracting the dead, injury, etc.

-People who were hiding out and had to leave their secure position when their supplies finally ran out.

Could you expand a little further on what the bolded phrases mean in Dead State when it comes to NPCs and how we as PCs will be interacting with such environments?

In my mind I see my group stumbling on a 'fortified position' that will eventually be taken by force of arms.  By doing so, perhaps we draw zombies to the area.  Will it be possible to refortify that position and use it to defend against the advancing zombies?

What can we do with environments/what are the limitations?

Blaster
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 03:00:13 pm »

Regarding the FAQ:

Would it be possible to put an "Last updated X/Y" either at the top or bottom of the FAQ?  I read the FAQ when I first found this site a few months ago, and if more information was added, I wasn't aware. 
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:36:59 pm »

(This was taken from the Scavengers thread and pasted here for sake of convenience)

Quote from: Brian
Scavenger/looter types in our game are loose bands of desperate people looking for supplies. Their behaviors vary a great deal, but tend to gravitate toward fleeing immediately, running if injured, or defending a fortified position. They're not organized and they're generally trying to avoid others for fear of contamination, theft, attracting the dead, injury, etc.

-People who were hiding out and had to leave their secure position when their supplies finally ran out.

Could you expand a little further on what the bolded phrases mean in Dead State when it comes to NPCs and how we as PCs will be interacting with such environments?

They locked themselves in a house, boarded up a few windows/doors, and were sitting in the basement with a shotgun. You have a shelter that is much better/safer than that. There's no reason to take over something like that. Most places are going to be either already broken into and looted, locked but unsafe, locked/boarded up with potential hostile survivors or undead inside, or fortified and defended by multiple humans.

If something is fortified and being held by multiple armed humans, there won't be zombies inside, but they're not necessarily going to tolerate your presence either. If you decide to pursue combat there, that building will be compromised. Pushing inhabitants out will probably lure zombies to the area, which means that if you go back to that building, it will no longer be safe. There is no possibility of moving your shelter or having multiple shelters.
Blaster
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 04:27:35 pm »

They locked themselves in a house, boarded up a few windows/doors, and were sitting in the basement with a shotgun. You have a shelter that is much better/safer than that. There's no reason to take over something like that. Most places are going to be either already broken into and looted, locked but unsafe, locked/boarded up with potential hostile survivors or undead inside, or fortified and defended by multiple humans.

If something is fortified and being held by multiple armed humans, there won't be zombies inside, but they're not necessarily going to tolerate your presence either. If you decide to pursue combat there, that building will be compromised. Pushing inhabitants out will probably lure zombies to the area, which means that if you go back to that building, it will no longer be safe. There is no possibility of moving your shelter or having multiple shelters.

I never thought of taking a house over as the permanent shelter.  I meant as a temporary throw-up against the dead that came into the map (though it was more about how we could interact with said house, not about whether or not we could take it over permanently). 
TacKLed
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 04:34:53 pm »

What I want to know is if the world will go on without if you just decide to lay idle in your shelter and not do anything? As in will other survivors random die from different causes on each playthrough? Also, will other survivors sleep within the world and find shelter or will they just simply despawn?
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 04:39:37 pm »

What I want to know is if the world will go on without if you just decide to lay idle in your shelter and not do anything? As in will other survivors random die from different causes on each playthrough? Also, will other survivors sleep within the world and find shelter or will they just simply despawn?

Yes, there are allies that will disappear over time, events that you can miss, territory that can be lost by other groups, and places that will be looted if you just sit in your shelter. However, if you just lay idle in your shelter, most likely you and your allies will die. In fact, there are events in the first few weeks that can get your shelter compromised if you don't come up with a solution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48   Go Up
Print
Jump to: