Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Questions for the Dead State Team  (Read 140406 times)
MagFlare
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 08:42:17 am »

We are not developing the game with moddability at release. We will most likely be doing some form of DLC/expanded content, but we're concentrating our efforts on the main game at the moment.

Reasonable enough. Anything you can do to make the game attractive to modders post-release will be appreciated, though.

Hey, another question: will it be possible to have romantic relationships with NPCs?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:49:07 am by MagFlare » Logged

Brian

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 01:19:48 pm »

We are not developing the game with moddability at release. We will most likely be doing some form of DLC/expanded content, but we're concentrating our efforts on the main game at the moment.

Reasonable enough. Anything you can do to make the game attractive to modders post-release will be appreciated, though.

Hey, another question: will it be possible to have romantic relationships with NPCs?

Not really. A few people in your shelter are in relationships already or can be, but there's no major romance element in the game. There are multiple RPGs that make them a fundamental part of the game, but we're doing things a bit differently. I could write a much longer post about how relationships in games are handled and my feelings about them, but I'll save that for a longer post.
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 02:27:38 pm »

A question that I don't think has been discussed:

How is the passage of time handled in DS?  I understand that undertaking certain tasks require a certain number of time-units, is there a "End Day" button the PC presses to progress time to the next day? 

If you are out scavenging, does time pass?  What is the ratio between in-game time vs reality?

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Goweigus
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 01:55:03 pm »

I believe time only passes when traveling or on a mission. It has been said that while in the shelter time does not pass, so there probably is some progress several hours/over night button
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:16 pm »

A question that I don't think has been discussed:

How is the passage of time handled in DS?  I understand that undertaking certain tasks require a certain number of time-units, is there a "End Day" button the PC presses to progress time to the next day? 

If you are out scavenging, does time pass?  What is the ratio between in-game time vs reality?

Traveling on the area map progresses time. Time does not pass while in a scavenging/combat area. Going to bed at the shelter will end the day. 
Hiver
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 02:15:49 pm »

How is "leveling up" of allies handled?
Especially since some of them will stay in shelter using their skills on appropriate tasks while im out with others.

I always prefered the mechanics where only those allies that are with me actively level up as opposed to more recent cheesy mechanics like in Kotor games where everyone level up regardless of whether they have been chosen into the team going out into the field or not.

Of course things arent so simple in DS as i mentioned above.

My first axiom:
Never, ever think about or make any conclusions about life, universe and everything else while youre depressed, suffering a trauma, a tragedy and or being drunk.

What the hell do you expect you will come up with in such a state?
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 02:36:47 pm »

How is "leveling up" of allies handled?
Especially since some of them will stay in shelter using their skills on appropriate tasks while im out with others.

I always prefered the mechanics where only those allies that are with me actively level up as opposed to more recent cheesy mechanics like in Kotor games where everyone level up regardless of whether they have been chosen into the team going out into the field or not.

Of course things arent so simple in DS as i mentioned above.

It's a bit different than the player, since unlike the player, some allies will never be effective at combat and it would be time-consuming to bring them all out to farm XP for them. So... the way it works is the allies receive 1 skill point for every day they are alive, and will sink that into a predetermined character path. There are ways of influencing their perks/focus, but not directly arrange their skill/stat points.

They level up like this so that the player can't screw themselves out of certain character types (not making them all melee when you need mechanics, combat medics, sharpshooters) and to reinforce their individuality (doctors are rare - you can't just make anyone a doctor type). There are a few other ways to "train" some of their skills up to a basic level of proficiency, but no way to train them all up to higher levels of skill.
Hiver
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 05:19:11 pm »

Cool. I was wondering how you would handle the difference between those that go out with you and those that stay in the shelter and this seems the simplest and very effective way.
thanks.

My first axiom:
Never, ever think about or make any conclusions about life, universe and everything else while youre depressed, suffering a trauma, a tragedy and or being drunk.

Mitchewawa
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 09:30:14 pm »

How will we gauge the personalities of our companions? Will I have to engage in banter and make a judgement for myself or will it give me a spreadsheet (which is lame)?
Hiver
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 09:47:54 am »

I would just add that allies receiving skill points for staying alive makes sense in DS (even if i dont count the correct wish of the devs to disable the player from changing the character class of allies) so its really not the same situation like KOTOR or similar games had where they would level up just "magically".

My first axiom:

phantom renegade
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 08:58:29 pm »

Will we be able to cannibalize working cars for parts to use on our modded vehicles?
TailSwallower
DS Bronze Patrons

P.R.E.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 09:55:25 pm »

as opposed to more recent cheesy mechanics like in Kotor games where everyone level up regardless of whether they have been chosen into the team going out into the field or not.

Of course that doesn't make sense from a 'realism' point of view, but it makes a lot of sense from a game design point of view.

You take a couple of companions out with you and they level and they're starting to get awesome... Only problem is you're getting a bit bored with them. Do you gimp yourself for some flavour, or stick with the guys who have great skills?

If the developers spent lots of time writing interesting characters then they're going to want the player to take them all out for a spin.

Anyway, sounds like they've got a great system in place already for DS.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:29:39 am by TailSwallower » Logged

You need Satan more than he needs you.
k0rr
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 04:16:00 am »

Plus, I doubt the survivors left at the shelter are just chillin' on the porch. They may be growing food, tending to injured survivors, setting up barricades or traps, etc. That calls for experience gains. Plus, combat isn't necessarily the best way to 'level' some people. Do you think a 40 year old gardener with absolutely no combat experience in his/her life is going to be a better person after fending off a dozen zombies? Perhaps you may have to try and keep certain people out of combat, as they're more easily scarred by the experience.
mismatch
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 09:05:22 am »

Dunno if this has been asked or not....
Is the shelter considered 'safe' for NPC's when you are away on a mission/scavegeing run/raid, or will it be vulnerable to zombieattack (or even mutiny) if you bring too many of the skilled gunmen and loyal subjects on a raid?
So can you return to the shelter only to find that the shit has hit the fan?
Hiver
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 11:12:12 am »

No, the shelter works in a way that you need to secure its fence (and maybe some other defenses) and the game lets you know how long you have. Once the fence in breached the game ends.

There are no active attacks on the Shelter you can see or player defending it actively.

hmmm... question:

Will human enemies ever attack the Shelter or is it presumed they wont know about it so the only direct threat to it are the zombies?

My first axiom:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48   Go Up
Print
Jump to: