Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of DecadenceNew Video - Choices and Consequences
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Video - Choices and Consequences  (Read 85301 times)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:17:52 am »

As many of you have pointed out, the video we released a few days ago only hints at some options but doesn't really show them. So we decided to do a new video showing and narrating the different possibilities.

We hope you enjoy it.

PS: We have a Facebook page, you can join it here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Iron-Tower-Studio/174961962546309?v=wall
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:32:56 am by Oscar » Logged

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 02:08:01 am »

Awesome.  Approve

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:33:35 am »

Well done.  Salute
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:41:38 am »

Your accent. Grin 8) Great video!

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 03:16:34 am »

Approve

PS: how about Russian subtitles?
I can translate everything.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:35:22 am by Vahhabyte » Logged

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
陈瑞思
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 04:00:00 am »

Honestly, if I hadn't been following this game since 2006, this newest video would turn me off.  It seems disorganized.  

Firstly, it cannot stand alone.  It requires that a person view the previous video first to understand anything at all.  

Yet I saw the original video a week ago and even that recently don't really grasp what choices and consequences are being examined.  This is partly because the subtitles are distracting from the still images, and partly video moves too fast for anyone to have a hope of reading the dialogue.  Fast-moving text-heavy images was passable in the first video because there was no narration, but it seems unacceptably amateur here.

It seems like a step-by-step guide, but in the end I feel like the only branch I now know more about is that at some point I can try to assassinate the assassins guild leader.  The early, informative, and context-setting introduction to the Imperial Guards and Assassin's Guild was good.  So was the long lingering on the portrait of the man we're trying to assassinate.  I started feeling mentally flustered when the Merchant Guild was mentioned just briefly relative to the other two guilds and then suddenly had me deciding whether I should assassinate a merchant instead of the Imperial Guard captain.  I was so sure I was assassinating an Imperial Guard Captain.  Confusing.

Finally, when someone who speaks English as a second language narrates, it makes me think the game is likely to have confusing flaws elsewhere than video production.  It makes me think cheap.  It makes it easy for someone who doesn't know much about the game to assume the confusion is not his own fault, but is some sketchy Eastern European amateur game maker sucking.

Perhaps a flow chart showing the different branches would allow the viewer to keep better track of where they are as the video progresses.  It seems like a series of scenes with no continuity.

I'm still sold...but I won't be sending this video to any of my uninitiated friends.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:02:22 am by 陈瑞思 » Logged
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 04:12:20 am »

陈瑞思's comments make sense actually, the video makes the old fans ecstatic but may not impress new potential players much.

PS: Oscar's accent does sound East European  Tongue

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 04:22:13 am »

I'd recommend a video introducing the overall setting and each faction, discussing how the factions' goals are intertwined and at odds with each other, and how the player will pick sides and make real choices influencing each faction's plot as they go.

Then I think you have a nice video-series introduction to the game for new players.

Vid 1 : Introduce setting, factions and the fact that the gameplay involves choosing sides and gaining influence with/influencing the outcome of the plot for each faction.
Vid 2 : Demonstrating one such key plot point, and the options available. (This video)
Vid 3 : Demo the tb-combat that results from one of those decisions. (The last video)

Essentially, you're releasing the videos in reverse order of noob-friendliness. Hey, I can't criticize, I've done things ass-backwards a lot of the time. Wink

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 04:54:20 am »

Great Video. Oscars voice somehow goes very well with the assasins guild topic  Evil

The guys above have a point probably. On the other hand I think that the basic info is on the website - does everything have to be in a video? However if might be a good idea to show the URL at the end of the video, or to provide a link on youtube (if they allow that?). I would recommend to release the videos on the website or your facebook page with some additional explanation and links to further info. 

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 05:02:20 am »

Beware relying on people clicking through. Rather go at it with a philosophy of 'this is it, I've got X minutes to sell it and only one shot to arouse interest'. And don't assume only the stupid won't click-through, people's attention is torn in 15 different directions these days, you gotta make the moment count.

My blog
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 05:28:55 am »

Great job on this, I think narrated videos could be a great way to sell this game. But I also enjoy with Gareth, a series of "n00b" videos explaining a bit what the game is about roughly, an introduction to the factions and so forth could be a pretty nice thing.

Great work!

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 05:33:13 am »

Beware relying on people clicking through. Rather go at it with a philosophy of 'this is it, I've got X minutes to sell it and only one shot to arouse interest'. And don't assume only the stupid won't click-through, people's attention is torn in 15 different directions these days, you gotta make the moment count.

Yeah, words of the wise, probably.  Salute

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
WorstUsernameEver

Pope Emeritus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 06:27:57 am »

The idea is good, the execution (read the video) it's not. Basically, what the guy with the nickname I can't decipher said.

Oscar has the most hilarious accent though. You absolutely should continue to narrate these videos.  8)
GTFO
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 06:59:41 am »

I'd recommend a video introducing the overall setting and each faction, discussing how the factions' goals are intertwined and at odds with each other, and how the player will pick sides and make real choices influencing each faction's plot as they go.

Then I think you have a nice video-series introduction to the game for new players.

Vid 1 : Introduce setting, factions and the fact that the gameplay involves choosing sides and gaining influence with/influencing the outcome of the plot for each faction.
Vid 2 : Demonstrating one such key plot point, and the options available. (This video)
Vid 3 : Demo the tb-combat that results from one of those decisions. (The last video)

Essentially, you're releasing the videos in reverse order of noob-friendliness. Hey, I can't criticize, I've done things ass-backwards a lot of the time. Wink
Another vote on this.
Watching the video the first time was very confusing to me (the few hours of sleep don't help as well). But on the second time it got clearer/clear. The thing is, people outside these forums won't watch it twice.

This would be something **I would like** to see (this is just a list of points, no decent writing here):
You start your adventure in X. One of the cities that survived/rebuilt after the apocalypse and has managed to prosper during these last N years after it.
(describe the city while navigating through it, show the main buildings and NPCs, but also quickly pass by the inn, the blacksmith, the mill... or any other thing that makes it stand out. Tell us why that city (this applies to the game world as well) is interesting, why do we want to explore it.)
X is one of the M major cities that are part of the N locations in the AoD world (show world map). It is a world where people ????? and factions dispute power while trying to find and understand the relics left by the previous civilization before the great wars.
In AoD there are F factions and you can choose to ally with one of them and eventually double-crossing them and allying with another faction, or just stay out of factions.
We'll now look into into 3 of those factions. (...)
Even though you can ally with any faction, some alliances will be more natural choices than others depending on your class.
(describe some classes)
(then show the character screen and also describe alchemy, trading, show a dialog option with different choices of skill checks)
(and finally do some closure... why do we want to play this game)

And holy shit! Oscar is russian!
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 07:28:16 am »

And holy shit! Oscar is russian!

That's some most shocking news in this thread.

"But is the best good enough?"
Oscar
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: