Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1/3 Monday Design Update - Weapons: Baseball Bat  (Read 29111 times)
Brian

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:47:36 pm »

Happy 2011! We’re still recovering from holiday festivities, so here are some new weapon stats to chew over while we get back into the daily grind.

Today’s weapon is the Baseball Bat, which is to zombie defense what the sidearm is to modern warfare. Bats are so useful as a melee weapon that they constitute their own class of weapons. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of bats.

Pros
-Eat a ton of bugs
-Can fly

Cons
-Guano

Um, better…

Pros

-AP cost in between heavy and light weapons
-Good knockback chance
-Very good dizzy chance

Cons

-Low critical chance
-Low critical multipliers
-Average damage

Bats are great weapons for striking quickly while simultaneously trying to make it harder for your target to hit you next turn. Knockback is useful for pushing opponents away, while the Dizzy status makes it harder for human characters to land successful attacks. Bats don’t require the strength of most bludgeoning weapons, but still do decent amounts of damage for their AP cost.  Let’s take a look at the stats and attacks for the Baseball Bat.

Hands: 2 (AP cost for switching weapons)
Range: 1 (Must be standing next to target)
Type: Bludgeoning (Counts as Bludgeoning damage, good against zombies)
Stat Chance: Knockback 10%, Dizzy 20%  (Minor chance for knockback and dizzy)
Noise: 4 (Very quiet weapon)
Strength: 4 (Average strength required to wield)
ZDamage: 105% (Slightly better damage against undead)
Critical Hit Chance: 5% (Minor chance for criticals)
Critical Multiplier: 2 (Minor critical multiplier)
Weight: 2 (Light)
Break: 0 (Weapon will not break)

Basic Attack – The default attack
AP Cost: 4 (Decently fast for a fast character)
Damage: 14-30 (Decent damage, especially if multiple hits are landed in one round)

Push – An attack to get some breathing room
AP Cost: 5
Damage: 9-25
Modifier: Knockback 40%

Swing – A wide attack for when you’re surrounded

AP Cost: 7
Damage: 10-20 (Applied to all targets)
Modifier: TriAttack 100% (TriAttack hits enemy and any targets to the right and left of target)

As you can see, the Baseball Bat is a sturdy, unspectacular weapon that does decent damage for a decent AP cost. It’s worth keeping around for dealing with groups or getting out of a corner, but it’s far from the highest damage dealer in the game. If you don’t like getting ganged up on, you may want to keep one in your inventory. Of course, there are a few better bats in the game, so keep an eye out for them in future updates.  We’ve only scratched the surface for items in the game, so keep hitting this space every Monday for more info on what you may be able to scavenge in Dead State.
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:52:25 pm »

The nice thing about bats is that they are very common.  Just about any house with kids is going to have one.  Plus households with adults that are into sports, in a league, have one for home defense or have one left over from their childhood.

Other bats, let me think.  Two immediately come to mind:  Aluminum and a wooden bat with nails.

I think aluminum would do more damage and be a lot harder to break.  However it would be a little louder.

A wooden bat with nails would increase the damage some but perhaps have a chance to get stuck.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:04:30 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
EHCB
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 04:09:56 pm »

If they're their own class of weapon does that mean there'll be several different, barely distinguishable types just like in the real world?

Will there be aluminium bats? Will they be rubbish?
Rake
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 04:51:50 pm »

Pros
-Eat a ton of bugs
-Can fly

Cons
-Guano

Nice.

Glad to see the bat is well rounded enough to keep around even when you have more damaging weapons on hand.  It's too iconic of the genre to just leave in the dust of gaming advancement.
SSH83
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:36:57 pm »

pushing foe backward = Fun.
pushing foe backward into hazard = Satisfying Fun!

Although 40% pushback is kinda weak.  Can't wait to see what "Heavy" weapons will be packing!!!
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:38:14 pm »

Pros
-Eat a ton of bugs
-Can fly

Cons
-Guano

Um, better…

I see what you did there... lol

Actually, the bat looks pretty cool.  I'm wondering why it doesn't break, though.  I think if you had a wooden vs. an aluminum bat, that would make more sense.  Imagine how satisfying it would be to get a critical hit on a zombie or something and hit it so hard you snap your bat?  Maybe you could add in "broken bat-spear" as a temporary thrusting weapon.  Aluminum bats on the other hand I think could take a lot of punishment without breaking or bending so they'd be more likely to never break.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Rake
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 07:27:09 pm »

Although 40% pushback is kinda weak.

I didn't really think about that at first but yeah, the name Push kind of implies a better chance of knockback then it has.  Another attack name or a more reliable effect chance might make more sense.
SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:56:43 am »

I did love the spiked bats in Dead Rising 2...
MagFlare
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:11:22 am »

Bats are so useful as a melee weapon that they constitute their own class of weapons.

Please?

wiande
Craftsman

Me so glad DS gonna kick some ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:03:42 am »

cricket bat is awesome :p

Turn based uber alles!
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:14 am »

I agree.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 11:16:27 am »

Bats are mandatory in frontal assaults:

Had to, sorry.

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Jason N.
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 11:44:13 am »

Approve  best weapon so far!
quasimodo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 03:52:53 pm »

I wonder how many cricket bats there are in Texas.
wiande
Craftsman

Me so glad DS gonna kick some ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 04:01:23 pm »

I wonder how many cricket bats there are in Texas.

i guess few Smile
but maybe one or two in a sport store, along with some classical dancing clothes ^^

Turn based uber alles!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: