Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: .:: about the infection ::.  (Read 2613 times)
wiande
Craftsman

Me so glad DS gonna kick some ass

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:45:44 am »

hi,

i was wondering about the infection,

you guys said once infected medical products could slow down the infection, so

my questions are:

- Once you're infected, apparently it can't be cured, so you're going to die for sure, when is just the real question ?

- Does Infection has like a % to turn you into a Zombie, like once you're infected you got 33 % of infection a day and once you're up to 100 % you're a zomby ? If yes, does medicine have like an effect like, slow down the infection for a day, or get you 10 % of humanity point for one use ?

i hope i'm not boring youwith my questions ^^

Turn based uber alles!
Goweigus
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:40:55 pm »

From My Custom Collection of Dev Forum Posts*

Antibiotics? What the heck?
Very early on in the game, the player will learn that a daily dose of antibiotics can help prevent a person from succumbing to a zombie bite, which generally kills people in three days. Now we know what you’re thinking – that’s stupid, and antibiotics don’t work on viruses (which is how the zombie reanimation process is described by many NPCs). However, antibiotics do kill off bacteria that take advantage of a weakened immune system, and antibiotics do provide a convenient item which, if the player can keep them in stock, will prevent their allies from turning into zombies. The real drama begins when you start to run out. If there are more infected allies than there are antibiotics, they will notice and this will be an issue that the player needs to deal with. If the player does nothing, then in three days, they’re going to have to put a lot of dead allies to rest. Many players might dismiss the infected, but if those infected have family or friends, they may get upset by this lackluster solution to their loved ones imminent zombification. As you see, antibiotics aren’t a complete cure-all, and in reality, may cause major problems.

How hard are they to find?

Now, antibiotics aren’t exactly everywhere, and you'll need to look for them in out of the way or dangerous places. The news about antibiotics came too late to make much of a difference in avoiding the catastrophe, which means that there was never a run on them and they can still mostly be found in places that stocked them. Note that this doesn’t mean antibiotics are a common item and they definitely do not cure the infection.

So the zombie virus can't kill you?
That is how it works - the zombie "virus" reanimates the dead, but it also weakens the immune system. People don't die from it but because of it.

Will there be a mode without antibiotics?
For those of you that think this mechanic is way too generous for you – good news! They don’t work in the Survival Mode of the game. In Survival Mode, allies will die and reanimate from bites after three days, and even the player can get infected. If you’d like to see if you can actually make it through the zombie apocalypse, you’ll have your chance in our game’s hardcore mode.

Will other diseases/infections be featured?
The zombie infection is the only disease that matters in our game. There are a few other health-related issues that come up, but we're not going to spoil them.

Can NPCs become pill chugging zombies?
The person bit may see that as some ray of hope, and will fight like hell to be able to keep going. Some might despair and even offer to take their own lives - others may protest this action and appeal to you to stop them. It's a choice that's down to you to make, and the consequences are yours to deal with. Some may even allow themselves to believe that if they keep themselves going long enough, someone will find a cure - even with a strength that may make the reality of the situation irrelevant. Does a cure exist? To THEM, it's not just "maybe" - in the mind of someone who is fighting for survival and refusing to give up, it's yes. You may or may not discover differently.

So if any character can die from infection, and we probably won't ever be able to gather every possible NPC to our base, is it really that big of a deal if any become infected and die?
One thing we want to clarify is that it's always a bad thing when someone gets infected, antibiotics or not - that things happen after an ally gets infected doesn't seem like "making it more fun," or making the bad path suddenly the desirable one, but making events unfold in a way that is realistic. In that our goal - outside from making an enjoyable game, of course - is the modeling of a group of people relying on one another to survive in the face of the collapse of civilization and the horror of the walking dead, it's a NECESSARY thing, an expected thing, to see what the consequences are when the worst happens. If we can say anything to urge the player not to do a constant save-reload cycle, it's that difficulties like that are part of the nature of the game itself.

Part of what we want to you to do, the very draw of the game itself, is to make difficult choices, and weigh your options in an environment where good and evil are relative concepts, and no law will come down upon you if you do something that some might consider cruel. Our characters will be written to make them seem like real people you could relate to - if a bit more distantly with some than others - and their reactions to any given situation will be what makes sense to them, not because of some structured "oh la, I am Chaotic Good" "But I am NEUTRAL EVIL" kind of alignment setup.

PS: I'm not sure if taking a days worth of pills after 2 days of infection sets you back 1 day or 2
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:48:04 pm by Goweigus » Logged
wiande
Craftsman

Me so glad DS gonna kick some ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:30:47 am »

thanks a lot man, it really clarify things ^^

Turn based uber alles!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: