Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGRPG DiscussionNewcomer *sort of* coming to PC
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newcomer *sort of* coming to PC  (Read 21535 times)
Radek Smektala
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 11:58:40 am »

The specs list seems to indicate you need a Commodore-64 to run the final product, or at least a 5.25" drive.  Who the frig's got one of those?  Or is it an attempt at humour?

No, no, at worst you'll need an emulator, but I've read somewhere that the final release will be optimized in such a way that you won't need to swap (virtual) disks or mess with configs. The previous, outdated release works on Vice just fine, although keyboard behaves really weird.

Take a look: http://images.pcworld.com/reviews/graphics/139100-commodore64.jpg

Enter is moving forward, the button below it on the left is turning left, and the one on the right is turning right. Makes heaps of sense. However, on a PC keyboard, it's terribly counterintuitive as you can probably imagine. Down and up arrow buttons make you turn left, left and right arrow buttons make you turn right, and enter is for moving forward. Madness!

However, the project director himself said in the Play This Thing article that the game is coming to PC, Linux and Mac. If he didn't mean a native release, then I'm hoping the game will come with a custom emulator wrapper at least.

EDIT:

* Game controls changed for more comfort for emulator users on PC/Mac keyboards
* VICE fully supported, extensively tested, no virtual floppy disk swapping, works like a native PC / Mac / Linux game

What I said but in not so many needless words Wink
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:20:30 pm by Radek Smektala » Logged
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 07:13:46 pm »

I guess I'll also have to try Neuromancer.

Anyone played this?  I've been intrigued by it for a number of years, and I loved the book.

Quote from: Scott
The specs list seems to indicate you need a Commodore-64 to run the final product, or at least a 5.25" drive.  Who the frig's got one of those?  Or is it an attempt at humour?

I believe you just need an emulator.  Pretty clever actually, since the game has been developed on the C64 they save time by sticking with it, and there are emulators for C64 on pretty much every platform.  I was wondering the other day about DOSBox functionality on the Linux client for exactly the same reason.  I think DOSBox runs perfectly on Linux, so an indie dev could actually release a multi-platform game if they wrote there game in "DOS".  I know DOS isn't a language, you get my point.

Quote from: Dagon
What do you mean, everyone's got one. Are you a visitor from the future?

To whom is your question directed?  Got one what?

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Radek Smektala
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 07:23:08 pm »

I guess I'll also have to try Neuromancer.

Anyone played this?  I've been intrigued by it for a number of years, and I loved the book.

It's interesting. Definitely less linear than usual adventure games. See for yourself.

The dialog system in Newcomer is pretty much identical.
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 07:57:45 pm »

Whoa, nice!

Next stop, Bladerunner =)

Radek Smektala
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 08:00:06 pm »

Man. Don't get me started on that one. I'd put it in my top 5 games along with Fallout and Deus Ex. So good.
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 08:06:25 pm »

Man. Don't get me started on that one. I'd put it in my top 5 games along with Fallout and Deus Ex. So good.

No shit?  I've got a very scratches Bladerunner disk that's been collecting dust (and scratches) for the last 6 years.  Maybe the time has come.

Radek Smektala
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 08:24:44 pm »

No shit?  I've got a very scratches Bladerunner disk that's been collecting dust (and scratches) for the last 6 years.  Maybe the time has come.

Go for it. It's relatively short (4, 5 hours on replays) but very, very reactive. There are about twelve endings I think, and most choices have consequences that echo thorough the whole game. Better yet, each time you play it, different characters are replicants.
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 09:48:33 pm »

That sounds awesome as hell, how did I not know this, and how is this game not legendary?

Radek Smektala
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 08:05:08 am »

Why is this game suddenly all over the news? Did we cause this?
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 08:47:58 am »

Why is this game suddenly all over the news? Did we cause this?
No.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
GTFO
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 03:55:09 pm »

Go for it. It's relatively short (4, 5 hours on replays) but very, very reactive. There are about twelve endings I think, and most choices have consequences that echo thorough the whole game. Better yet, each time you play it, different characters are replicants.
wow this is sad. I have the game, I love adventure games, and I only played it once Sad
The weird thing is that I played the game *years* before I saw the movie. And Blade Runner is one in my top10 movie list.  Wallbang
It was a weird situation because I acquired the game as a refund for quitting a video game rental store. I played it once at the time, I liked it, but did not fully appreciate it.
Now you're telling me all those things... I really have to play it again and again.
Jim_Cojones
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 08:07:52 pm »

Better yet, each time you play it, different characters are replicants.

I'm pretty sure that's not true although game's ads claimed it was. There's a fair share of random elements but who's who never really changes.

(click to show/hide)

Radek Smektala
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 09:07:27 pm »

Better yet, each time you play it, different characters are replicants.

I'm pretty sure that's not true although game's ads claimed it was. There's a fair share of random elements but who's who never really changes.

I've finished the game many times and it's still fresh in my mind. I know what I'm talking about.

(click to show/hide)

EDIT:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:39:58 pm by Radek Smektala » Logged
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 06:04:17 am »

What's up with this project ?
The game website here : http://www.newcomer.hu  is down.
The release date was 2010 but it's 2011 now...
Justme
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 09:49:38 am »

How is that surprising?  They failed to release the damn game in 20 years, so they are obviously idiots and don't have a clue what they are doing. Also, they said they wanted to release the game for Linux, ergo they are obviously idiots and don't have a clue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: