Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cyclopean Canceled  (Read 52642 times)
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:18:41 am »

There it is.

A couple of months ago, I had to look at where I was at with Cyclopean.  I felt that five years was a reasonable amount of time to develop a turn-based indie CRPG and August marked my first two years working on the game.  I asked myself:  Is the game 40% complete?  No.  Is the game 20% complete?  No.  Surely the game must be at least 10% finished?  Perhaps, but entirely on the writing side.  What I've got is basically a ton of writing and nothing else.  And Ted, still the only other member of Team Omega, just isn't able to dedicate those 20+ hours/week to keep things rolling.  Vince has got a relentless, driving ambition to see AoD completed, but I need to know my investment of hundreds-into-thousands of hours is actually going to result in a finished product, and I don't have that confidence in Cyclopean, in fact nothing near it.

So a big thank you to all the people who liked the writing, who like Lovecraft, and who support ITS generally!  Vince really gave me a great home here while it lasted.  I have another less (much less) ambitious project in mind, one that I can actually anticipate will see the light of day, in part because I don't need to recruit anyone else to do it.  But I'm not going to reveal it until I have an Alpha build and need testers.  I don't want a reputation for stringing people along.

One more thing:  good luck to the other teams and their talented members under the banner.  Go indie!

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:34:02 am »

So sorry to hear, it was a project that I really would've wished to see. A very fresh take on all things RPG.

That said, I'm glad to see that you are man enough to just flat out say "no, I won't waste resources on this anymore" so that it doesn't become one of those projects that just seems to float around without ever seeing a release.

Looking forward to see what you can cook up next!

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
ILikeToWatch
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 07:38:03 am »

God damn it.

That is all.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 07:39:33 am »

Sorry to see the project cancelled Scott. You're a talented writer, looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:52:47 am »

I respect Scott for being honest with everyone, but I hope him and I will be able to revisit the status of the project when AoD is released. Scott has done a lot of work and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 07:57:36 am »

Sorry to hear that as well...
Maybe the work you've done so far might be of use to other projects ? have you considered releasing it to the public under some free license ?

I hope your talents will be put to use on other projects, maybe even help Gareth ? Wink

BTW, is there a chance your next game will have a native Linux client ?

Dicksmoker
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:19 am »

I respect Scott for being honest with everyone, but I hope him and I will be able to revisit the status of the project when AoD is released. Scott has done a lot of work and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

This.
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:23:11 am »

Sorry to hear Scott. By the way, have all the threads been deleted or are they just hidden?

BTW, is there a chance your next game will have a native Linux client ? 

Wow man, I'm literally laughing out loud now! You have to include this in every post aye!

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Dicksmoker
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 08:29:46 am »

Yeah I can't find all my posts in that forum by searching in my profile. Just to safe, I tried searching Scott's as well, and couldn't find any. However, it looks like my post count is still the same. So I guess hidden?
WorstUsernameEver

Pope Emeritus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 08:30:06 am »

I really really hope you guys get that chance because quite frankly the idea was awesome and, while I wasn't sold on all the design decisions, it seemed like a good recipe for a good, fun and maybe even innovative indie rpg.

Kudos to Scott for his honesty though.
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 08:30:50 am »

Damn.  Well, thanks for the honesty, and I look forward to seeing what your next project ends up being.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 08:33:20 am »

Scott as a fellow writer...there are better ways, tried and true really, to use those skills man:  Write a book, hell even writing a screenplay isn't that horrible (Sellout! Heh) so go out and do that is my advice...good luck!
puppyonastik
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 08:38:39 am »

Best wishes to you and Ted, Scott. Thank you both for the work you have done so far, even if it may never see the light of day, the effort is still appreciated!

Quote from: Mayday
Can a single dick even enter a group setting?
Quote from: Fez
You've never lived until you've tried it.
Zaij
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 08:50:04 am »

Damn Scott, you actually got me onto lovecraft in the first place. Fingers crossed, thumbs held, that this project will be revisited.
Gondolin
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 09:15:35 am »

Damn.  Sad

Maybe someday....

I say no to demon ponies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: