Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Some new stuff  (Read 48995 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:32:27 am »

What do y'all think?

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:33:26 pm by Oscar » Logged
Frost
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:41:27 am »

Shadows won't look THAT beautiful ingame, am i right ? But true masterpiece afterall.. One thing i dont like are the the places where floor and wall textures connect. It just contrasts a bit
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:43:20 am »

Actually, they will.
Frost
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 11:46:26 am »

Then OMFG I say... Im slowly becoming a graphic whore Tongue
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:48:49 am »

Yep, they won´t be dinamic, and the characters will have only one shadow, but that´s how the enviroment looks.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:49:51 am »

Looks pretty damn good, Oscar. ToEE-quality stuff.
Frost
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:55:22 am »

What about adding some slight floor/wall texture transition ? Perhaps a wooden slat/border on lower wall connection with floor in first pic? ::graphicwhore::
Sleet
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 01:09:55 pm »

Excellenté!

Great atmosphere. Imperial Guard barracks? Smile
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 01:14:54 pm »

Yep, that´s right. How did you guess? Wink

Mehler
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 01:18:50 pm »

Totally awesome!
TheLostOne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 01:19:29 pm »

Really like the commander's office. Beatiful yet utilitarian.  Very militaristic.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 01:24:07 pm »

These look great. I really love the tapestries in the top image, the floor texture in the bottom two, and all the weapons on the racks in the second. I agree that the shadows look fantastic. You guys are setting a new standard for indie RPGs.

Everything, individually, looks excellent -- the modeling and texturing are top notch. What's not quite as good (although by no means bad) is the overall composition of the scenes. I'm no artist, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but here are my suggestions/critiques:

In the first scene, the table looks isolated in a big empty room. Everything on the walls is great, and the table itself is fine, but the overall look is a bit weird. It's possible I'm misinterpreting this scene, but to me this looks like an office for someone fairly important. In that case, the room should be imposing for someone walking in the door, and the tapestries certainly go towards creating this effect. However, because the table is so small and centered in an empty room, I think it has the effect of making someone sitting at it look small and unimportant. I would double the width of the table and the rug and replace the chair with something taller, darker, and more solid (to me the chair looks like one of the cheap ones you find in college dorm furniture). Then put a couple of smaller chairs (like the one you have there now) facing towards the table but pulled away and turned at angles. This would break up the linearity of the scene, fill in some of the empty space, make the occupant of the central chair seem more important, and simply make sense (most offices have chairs for visitors/subordinates/interviewees).

The second scene is good overall, but it's unbalanced with respect to color. Virtually all of the color in the room is in a straight line parallel to the left-hand wall. Moreover, the only colors are red and brown. I think this scene would look much better if there a couple of potted plants or a pile of blue, green, or vibrant yellow shields in the lower right-hand corner. Also, I'd prefer if one of the beds was untucked/ruffled with the blanket pulled back to reveal a sheet in a different color (deep blue, maybe), but that's a minor thing.

The third scene has pretty much the same issue as the second. One suggestion here is to put racks along the left wall filled with green, yellow, and orange fruits and vegetables. (This is a kitchen/mess hall, after all.)

By the way, will the torches be lit in-game? Is there some kind of flickering particle effect?
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 01:29:57 pm »

Actually, they will.
Of course they will.

Anyway, walls don't cast shadows do they? Nor does terrain, am I right?

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 01:36:17 pm »

Thanks cardtrick, we'll consider it.

By the way, will the torches be lit in-game? Is there some kind of flickering particle effect?

Check the video, near the end Wink

cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 01:36:28 pm »

Also, I'd like to see a little more decay. I get that this is the guards, and they keep things pretty ship-shape, but this is a decadent world and if you've ever been around a real military base you know that the reputation for cleanliness and order is just an illusion. I'd like to see a big blotchy stain/discoloration beneath and around one of the tables in the third scene. I already mentioned wanting one of the beds to be untucked. It would also be nice to have a few cracks in the floor. Have one of the torches not be lit. Have one of the beds be stained. Etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: