Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of DecadenceCombat Demo DiscussionsPoll: Which weapon type do you find most powerful and useful? Why?
Poll
Question: Which weapon type do you find most powerful and useful? Why?
1-h axe
2-h axe
dagger
1-h hammer
2-h hammer
1-h spear
2-h spear
1-h sword
2-h sword
bows
crossbows
throwing weapons

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Poll: Which weapon type do you find most powerful and useful? Why?  (Read 45164 times)
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 02:06:00 pm »

Both, and also whether you consider the system fair (balanced) for wielders of other weapons, which will only have Whirlwind instead. Wouldn't introducing other weapon-specific special attacks be fun?

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Ackermanus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:01 am »

Can't believe I was the only one so far voting for throwing.

Versatile (different weapons depending on your strength, opponents armour and AP), the chance to ignore shields (if you use pila) and, best of all, they are one-handed. Why is this so great? You can use a tower shield (high critical/splitting defense) without losing all your attack, or better put, what you lose in attack is gained in defense, because inn fight aside, you will fight either opponents with ranged attacks or who can't reach you (and if they can't reach you, they aren't a problem). Also, you can use high DR armour without losing defense (as opposed to dodge).

I suppose you can do this with one-handed crossbows as well, but those deal very low damage and can't ignore armour (or shields), so throwing still wins unless making a character with very low strength.

For melee weapons, I'd go for two-handed spears, because I can make no-defense builds that still win most battles without a ton of reloads (except against ranged opponents... Ordu, grrr).
hilf
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 11:34:22 am »

Bows!
Why? Because i wanted to see poll results. No.

It`s soo easy with bows+dodge+piercing ammo. With longbow you can do serious damage with regular hits. Critical strikes are still possible versus lightly armored enemies since Bows has passive crit bonus.

I bought AoD on Thursday.
Vahha
Testers

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 11:43:18 am »

It`s soo easy with bows+dodge+piercing ammo. With longbow you can do serious damage with regular hits. Critical strikes are still possible versus lightly armored enemies since Bows has passive crit bonus.
I guess my character focused on ranged combat will also use bows - a crafted flexible (-1 AP) bow for a high Str character is going to be a total killer.

― George Orwell, 1984
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 01:40:11 pm »

Bows!
Why? Because i wanted to see poll results. No.

Wow, that is absolutely true Smile Never played dodge & bow before, and I rarely used the slower bows at all. This build killed Ordu and Triarii on the first try. Nice.

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Vahha
Testers

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 04:48:48 pm »

Hm, I easily killed the Ordu with a Spear-only build, but cannot beat them with a Dagger-only build. So spears positively rule  smug

― George Orwell, 1984
Frosty
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 07:32:49 am »

Crossbows, I really like the dubbel crossbow

Hamsters and rangers every were rejoice!
Vahha
Testers

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 12:00:18 pm »

I also love crossbow. Critical Strike + 1-handed Crossbow + Net in the second hand = an uber-warrior.

― George Orwell, 1984
Hiver
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 11:52:20 am »

One handed spear.
If two handed had its special attack i would probably choose that.
(btw... will one handed spear also get impale?)
Overall Spears in AoD are dream come true for me.
Finally, finally i can do combat with a spear like it should be, instead of it being a blade on a stick.

My first axiom:
Never, ever think about or make any conclusions about life, universe and everything else while youre depressed, suffering a trauma, a tragedy and or being drunk.

What the hell do you expect you will come up with in such a state?
Nehan
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 07:09:07 pm »

Spear it is. AoD is the first game that properly captures what spear fighting is about - keeping opponents at bay. Elsewhere it's just a normal two-handed weapon with sometimes extended attack range.
Still, my first char will probably be a thief/assassin, so spears are out of question unfortunately. I'll have to stick to thrown weapons, which are pretty cool and powerful, but a real drain on money.
Vahha
Testers

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 01:46:09 am »

Axes. Need. Improvement.

― George Orwell, 1984
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 01:11:30 pm »

^

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 01:39:12 pm »

More specifically?
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 01:43:19 pm »

That's a fair question, and one that I'm not sure how to adequately answer.  I can say that I had more trouble building an axeman than I did with other builds, but that in itself is much to subjective to be evidence of anything at all.  Before the modifications to shield-breakage - a change which I completely understand the necessity of - I would have rated axes as one of the better weapons in the game.  It feels like the mechanics may have gone too far the other way, but again, my unsubstantiated opinion doesn't help much =)

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 01:48:54 pm »

Remember that all axes have a vsDR 1 modifier.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: