Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of Decadence (Moderator: Vahhabyte)What stage is this game at?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What stage is this game at?  (Read 132217 times)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 05, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »

Wow Oscar, those screenshots are simply fantastic. 

Thanks!

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Zaij
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 07, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »

So the team has been pretty silent about AoD the last fortnight. Something big in the works?
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: September 07, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »

It's the monthly sacrifice. We're all wondering whose next.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 07, 2010, 11:44:38 AM »

So the team has been pretty silent about AoD the last fortnight. Something big in the works?

The closer we are, the less we have to report. All features are discussed and implemented. All models and animations are long done. We're tweaking quests and balancing checks, xp, reputation, and rewards, which is pretty much what Oscar said recently.

For example, the second Imperial Guards' quest was a fairly straightforward "take over the gate". The Imperial Guards are a military organization, so their goals are often straightforward, which is logical, of course, but does not make interesting gameplay. So, we had to spend some time on it, looking for fitting way to improve it. Now, we have 3 options:

low INT - straightforward attack
good INT, low CHA - a clever plan which puts your ass on the line, because you have to do the hardest part* yourself
good INT, good CHA - a clever plan with someone else doing the hardest part, you get a promotion because you're the "management material", plus it unlocks a special briefing for the next quest, which completely changes the goals, because you've demonstrated that you can do more than follow orders.

* only 1 player in 10 will make it.

The best part is that players with low-med INT fighters will be completely unaware of the extra levels of complexity and options, which makes gameplay truly stat- and skill-based.
Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 07, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »

If brute force isn't the solution, you're not using enough brute force.

Secondly--MURDER? Merely because I had planned the duel and provoked the quarrel! Never had I heard anything so preposterous.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 07, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »

If brute force isn't the solution, you're not using enough brute force.

Heh.

What I love about this new questline is that you can even be a manipulative bastard in the most "combat heavy" questline.

Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 07, 2010, 07:11:15 PM »

Approve

Secondly--MURDER? Merely because I had planned the duel and provoked the quarrel! Never had I heard anything so preposterous.
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 07, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »

Sounds good you guys. And let me say, to work on one thing for this long in your spare time, especially as a group, without fizzling out or losing interest is remarkable. Approve

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
CORMAC MCCARTHY, The Road
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 07, 2010, 09:48:28 PM »

As a matter of fact, our interest is highest than ever.

Julius
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 07, 2010, 09:53:54 PM »

The closer we are, the less we have to report. All features are discussed and implemented. All models and animations are long done. We're tweaking quests and balancing checks, xp, reputation, and rewards, which is pretty much what Oscar said recently.

For example, the second Imperial Guards' quest was a fairly straightforward "take over the gate". The Imperial Guards are a military organization, so their goals are often straightforward, which is logical, of course, but does not make interesting gameplay. So, we had to spend some time on it, looking for fitting way to improve it. Now, we have 3 options:

low INT - straightforward attack
good INT, low CHA - a clever plan which puts your ass on the line, because you have to do the hardest part* yourself
good INT, good CHA - a clever plan with someone else doing the hardest part, you get a promotion because you're the "management material", plus it unlocks a special briefing for the next quest, which completely changes the goals, because you've demonstrated that you can do more than follow orders.

* only 1 player in 10 will make it.

The best part is that players with low-med INT fighters will be completely unaware of the extra levels of complexity and options, which makes gameplay truly stat- and skill-based.

That makes me rage - not because of the quest design which is swell - but because of the... I guess, cynicism. I guess this isn't the right place to re-iterate that AoD will probably feel like a expedition into the corporate world of today, something which I could gladly avoid to experience myself. I guess this is why I'll play an all-out fighter character at first. If we're going to be hopelessly amoral, then you know strength is the basis for justice, and by justice I mean rape everyone that I don't like... with my sword. Hellz yeah, who needs management if everyone is dead and I get all their loot?

GAME MUST BE RELEASED
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »

I don't see it [this particular design] as cynicism or some kind of corporate life reference. In IG quests you are not a single agent. "Direct assault" scenarios are effective but costly in terms of casualties (you played the demo, so you know that dying is easy in the game), so anyone who can come up with good, casualty reducing plans will be recognized and rewarded. It takes Intelligence to come up with good plans and Charisma to get men to listen to you and to be ready to die for you. Sounds reasonable, no?

PS. Your looting opportunities are limited when you are with the Imperial Guards.
micks

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »

@Vince & Oscar: I know it might feel like there's essentially nothing of importance to say bout the current progress, but to those of us who have been following this project since forever even a few words on how you added a bit here and there or tweaked some old quests are generally of considerable interest.
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »

Definitely.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »

Sure, I'll make a thread about some of the changes and explaining a little more of this "polishing" thing we keep raving about.

sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 09, 2010, 09:34:19 AM »

That makes me rage - not because of the quest design which is swell - but because of the... I guess, cynicism. I guess this isn't the right place to re-iterate that AoD will probably feel like a expedition into the corporate world of today, something which I could gladly avoid to experience myself. I guess this is why I'll play an all-out fighter character at first. If we're going to be hopelessly amoral, then you know strength is the basis for justice, and by justice I mean rape everyone that I don't like... with my sword. Hellz yeah, who needs management if everyone is dead and I get all their loot?

That's an interesting reaction. Did you want something more heroic or more idealism?

I think it sounds realistic.

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
CORMAC MCCARTHY, The Road
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: