Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Throwing skill  (Read 18080 times)
Entropy 0.5
Novice

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2010, 02:07:53 am »

Did anyone here beat the demo with a throwing character?

I managed to beat the demo and the inn with all weapons (together with dodge) but I fail terribly with a throwing/dodge character. The problem is that when I get to the barbarii I don't have enough money to afford the throwing weapons that would be required.

Is there a special tactic for throwing weapons? If getting money is a problem in the final game it would perhaps be a good idea to make some of the thrown weapons reappear on the enemy body, otherwise I think throwing characters will be very hard to play.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:16:07 pm by Entropy 0.5 » Logged
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:57:19 am »

Did anyone here beat the demo with a throwing character?

I managed to beat the demo an the inn with all weapons (together with dodge) but I fail terribly with a throwing/dodge character. The problem is that when I get to the barbarii I don't have enough money to afford the throwing weapons that would be required.

Is there a special tactic for throwing weapons? If getting money is a problem in the final game it would perhaps be a good idea to make some of the thrown weapons reappear on the enemy body, otherwise I think throwing characters will be very hard to play.

I did it (in R1, though) with a throwing/cs build. One of the easier characters I found Smile I used only throwing daggers and didn't have a problem regarding finances.

The Inn fight was awesome, none of the guards managed to get into melee range.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 09:59:42 am by erbgor » Logged

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Entropy 0.5
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:12:52 pm »

I think I must try out a throwing/CS character next. I still have some problems with managing my CS builds so I tried to avoid it for my first throwing character.

I found a simple way to handle the expenses. I used a bow instead of throwing weapons to finish off some of the first opponents. When investing in the throwing skill the bow skill is still high enough for all but the hardest opponents.

The inn fight was really hard. I used only mithril pilums and also some meteor ones and I had about 90 of them before the fight. But I finished off the last opponent in the inn with one of two iron darts that I still had in my inventory. Lucky me because all 90 pilums were gone. It was certainly one of my more exciting gaming moments when shooting these last darts and the guard finally fell to the ground.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:34:22 pm »

It was certainly one of my more exciting gaming moments when shooting these last darts and the guard finally fell to the ground.

Awesome Grin

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Ackermanus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 04:05:07 pm »

Personaly, I found block to be better than dodge for throwing builds, because it offers you crit protection (for light armours) or no defense penalties (for armours like Dellar's), so you can focus on throwing (and thus more armour-piercing attacks).  It seems you already beat the game, but I find it odd you had to spend so many pila: if you haven't done so already, the problem might be not having 10 STR or spending money on armour.
Entropy 0.5
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 05:12:22 am »

It seems you already beat the game, but I find it odd you had to spend so many pila: if you haven't done so already, the problem might be not having 10 STR or spending money on armour.

The problem was that I was wasting a lot of pila on the captain because of a bug:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1215.525.html

The fight took me quite some time but was a lot of fun. lol
Ackermanus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 05:34:28 am »

The problem was that I was wasting a lot of pila on the captain because of a bug:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1215.525.html

The fight took me quite some time but was a lot of fun. lol

lol Strange bug that one.
catmorbid

"There's more to the picture, than meets the eye"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 10:00:20 am »

I wanted to make a spear user with some throwing skill, so I can lug away an occasional Hasta, but unfortunately that would mean severely crippling his defenses (unless I use heavy armor), but haven't gone very far with that. Unfortunately I don't think that kind of build will work in the demo, due to lack of skill points. Might work in the full game though.

"There's more to the picture, than meets the eye"
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 04:29:17 pm »

I think one of AoD combat demos demonstrates a warrior stabbing enemies with a spear and also killing a crossbow man with it:

I'm not sure whether that video is realistic combat, but that would such a perfect combination: spear + throwing.

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Tiavals
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 08:21:13 am »

What's the point in the Chakram? I think it has the same stats as a throwing axe, yet doesn't have the 1 vs DR the axe has.

Is it more accurate or something?

Is there a way to see the "special" abilities a weapon might have? Like, chance for spears to poke, axes to split, hammers to knock?
Vahha
Testers

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 08:28:50 am »

Chakram is slightly better for fast attacks, Handox is slightly better for Precise attacks:

Karda: 3-8 @ 4, 15% pierce, fast 1-3
Plumbata: 3-9 @ 4, 15% pierce, fast 1-2
Pilum: 5-11 @ 5, 10% pierce, 30% shield pierce, fast 2-4
Chakram: 5-12 @ 5, 5% pierce, fast 2-6
Handox: 5-13 @ 5, 5% pierce, 20% splits, fast 2-5

UPD: Indeed, there should be a bonus for Chakrams to balance Handox's 1 vs. DR and 20% shield split chance.

Is there a way to see the "special" abilities a weapon might have? Like, chance for spears to poke, axes to split, hammers to knock?
Depends on skill level. Left click on the weapon when wielding it (at the main screen, not at Inventory screen).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:40:31 am by Vahhabyte » Logged

― George Orwell, 1984
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 11:37:52 am »

The chakram has the longest range of all the throwing weapons.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vahha
Testers

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 12:08:34 pm »

Now that's essential - for attacking someone suddenly and from a distance in the full game. Crippling attacks and criticals - and noone will survive long enough to come close  Evil
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:10:11 pm by Vahhabyte » Logged

― George Orwell, 1984
Lexx
Craftsman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 03:34:21 pm »

Throwing a chakram should result in making a backflip on a wall, if one is close to the character. Also an obvious "AYAYAYAYAYAYYY"-scream has to be played while this. Only if your character is a female, though.

Just saying.
saka-rauka1
Craftsman

S: 6 D: 10 C: 6 P: 6 I: 8 C: 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 08:20:45 pm »

I found block throwing to compare ridiculously unfavourably to dodge throwing last I played. I couldn't keep both defence and offense at the levels I could with dodge throwing. Block skill starts much lower than dodge and shields give penalties to attack. It took something like 11 reloads to get by the hoplite. In all of my other playthroughs he was a pushover.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: