Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 742783 times)
grisse
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: March 31, 2008, 09:07:41 am »

I think the haggling sequence is awesome. Smile
Agreed.

I'd say it makes sense as it is now. 1000 coins sounds like the outrageous demand made so they don't get peanuts and if you decide to bargain with the raider's chieftain, you can hardly say "Actually, nevermind, I think I'll just go now." in the middle of your little parley. Just doesn't seem like a smart thing to do when you're outnumbered and outgunned.

I don't need no makeup
I got real scars
I got hair on my chest
I look good without a shirt
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #961 on: March 31, 2008, 11:15:29 am »

That kind of "next-next" is present in Planescape. And since it has been said to be an influence, people shouldn't be surprised...
There is no other way to create believable conversations and thus believable characters.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean... Confused I think that is the way to create believable conversations if that's what you meant.

jeansberg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 31, 2008, 11:23:25 am »

Actually there is...
Make more dialog options (about barging) that won't influence the outcome as the "skill check" already been made, it would create the false feeling that you actually do have a choice.
That's exactly what we don't want.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 31, 2008, 11:31:08 am »

By the way, can you say "holding his hand on the sword's pommel" if the sword is never mentioned before?
Even better, just drop "holding": ...his hand on his sword's pommel.

Also, it should be "Who can put a price on the life of kin?", not "a kin", nor "the kin".  Off the top of my head, kin in its typcial meaning should never have an article in front of it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:38:44 am by screeg » Logged

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 31, 2008, 11:34:49 am »

Actually there is...
Make more dialog options (about barging) that won't influence the outcome as the "skill check" already been made, it would create the false feeling that you actually do have a choice.
That's exactly what we don't want.

Then go with the other way "make more dialog options that will involve other skill checks (speech skills or toughness skills ) that will influence the price (like he will be more favorable to you or be scared of you thus lower the prices)."
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 31, 2008, 11:37:18 am »

...will you guys ever stop complaining about every single sentence and word you don't like?

(No, I don't want an answer)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:39:54 am by star » Logged
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 31, 2008, 11:39:49 am »

I'm not complaining, I'm talking about basic English grammar and hoping that a few corrections of the few sentences I do see will percolate throughout the game and raise the level of the English (not the content, which is great) a little.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 31, 2008, 11:42:55 am »

Thats the point, changing a word here and there (in an extremly text-heavy game, like Vince said about 8 pages of text for an average quest), will not raise the level of english in a notable way.
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 31, 2008, 11:50:17 am »

Thats the point, changing a word here and there (in an extremly text-heavy game, like Vince said about 8 pages of text for an average quest), will not raise the level of english in a notable way.

Sadly you might be right here...
Ok Vince, STOP LISTENING TO OUR COMPLAINS AND RELEASE THE GAME ALREADY !!! Grin
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:21:18 pm by MaximB » Logged
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 31, 2008, 11:57:10 am »

I'm not against polishing every aspect of the game until it really shines, I'm just saying do it in an effective way.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 31, 2008, 12:00:09 pm »

That kind of "next-next" is present in Planescape. And since it has been said to be an influence, people shouldn't be surprised...
There is no other way to create believable conversations and thus believable characters.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean... Confused I think that is the way to create believable conversations if that's what you meant.
I meant that uninterrupted [by other options] dialogue sequences are the only way to create believable conversations and thus believable characters.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 31, 2008, 12:00:35 pm »

By the way, can you say "holding his hand on the sword's pommel" if the sword is never mentioned before?
Even better, just drop "holding": ...his hand on his sword's pommel.

Also, it should be "Who can put a price on the life of kin?", not "a kin", nor "the kin".  Off the top of my head, kin in its typcial meaning should never have an article in front of it.
Thanks.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #972 on: March 31, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

I meant that uninterrupted [by other options] dialogue sequences are the only way to create believable conversations and thus believable characters.
Sure, right. Sorry for the confusion :blush:

Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 31, 2008, 08:17:52 pm »

I like the haggling sequence, although I would find it cool if depending on your trade skill, the conversation could break off at different points, yielding different prices.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 31, 2008, 08:23:21 pm »

I thought about it, but that would/might break the dialogue flow. Still, it won't be hard to implement.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: