Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 562844 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: March 29, 2008, 08:07:30 am »

Question: why is Titus using critical strike skill here instead of dexterity? The throatstab using the bolt used dexterity if I recall correctly. This is about the same situation here in my opinion.
Well, yes and no. In the first case any outcome was fine. You could have failed completely and still ended up fighting the guard and maybe even killing him. You don't have the same option here. Your only option is to kill the leader with one strike. If you start fighting him the other raiders will join the fight and then it's all over for you.

The other reason is that here we are talking about a simple strike, while in the guard's case, it was more "cinematic", with throwing and lunging.
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 29, 2008, 10:43:43 am »

Throughout this "Let's Play" thread, I have noticed the distinct lack of women. They exist in Age of Decadence, yes?

Where are the hawt, sexy women? Sad

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
xenocide

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 29, 2008, 11:15:11 am »

a) check your hit points
b) you don't have your crossbow anymore. In fact, you don't have anything in your inventory anymore (other than what you're wearing). On the plus side, you've learned something and now have 5 brand new Dodge points.

Excellent.  I was actually wondering if the raiders stole your stuff, as they clearly should in that situation.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 29, 2008, 11:18:28 am »

Throughout this "Let's Play" thread, I have noticed the distinct lack of women. They exist in Age of Decadence, yes?

Where are the hawt, sexy women? Sad
You haven't met them yet.
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 29, 2008, 06:31:26 pm »

Here are the options:

1. Kill 'em all
2. Kill the leader, intimidate the rest (either to leave or to accept you as a new leader)
3. Negotiate the ransom. IF you convince H. Daratan to pay the ransom, you can pocket the difference.
4. Provide tactical information to Dellar. His enforcers will attack and the results will depend on the quality of the info, which tied to your Perception.
5. Convince/pay the thieves to deal with the raiders (here are some old screens)
6. Make a deal with the Imperial Guards.

Still not enough freedom? You can't convince the raiders to let the noble go (that would be silly, imo), but you can convince other people to deal with the situation, which is more interesting and interactive than picking an option you like the most from a list (see my article about diplomatic paths).

Yummy.

I roleplay. If there un-conscious, i just walk away and pretend there dead.
Fosse
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 30, 2008, 07:30:37 pm »

The choices look great.  I was only concerned that the ones we saw were all that were available (since you tweaked the earlier screenshot to show all the choices possible when we only "earned" a few of them.) and while I like the ones I listed, of course, I can't find fault with the ones present.  In a game like this there will always be something anyone can think of that just can't be followed, that's just life. 

As for the "flavor" text..... it just feels extreme.  If I'm dealing with somebody and they offer me 20% of my asking price then I can see immediately that we're not going to reach a deal.  Low balling your offer is one thing, but insulting the person you're buying from is another.  If the player initially countered with 600 and they wound up reaching a deal of around 750 then I wouldn't think twice about the end result, and the minor annoyance of clicking half a dozen times for a succession of screens with one line of dialogue wouldn't be quite so grating. 
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 30, 2008, 08:54:47 pm »

The choices look great.  I was only concerned that the ones we saw were all that were available...
I dislike "one stop shopping" designs, so you'll never get all options at the same place.

As for the "flavor" text..... it just feels extreme.  If I'm dealing with somebody and they offer me 20% of my asking price then I can see immediately that we're not going to reach a deal.  Low balling your offer is one thing, but insulting the person you're buying from is another.  If the player initially countered with 600 and they wound up reaching a deal of around 750 then I wouldn't think twice about the end result, and the minor annoyance of clicking half a dozen times for a succession of screens with one line of dialogue wouldn't be quite so grating. 
You are mistaken here.

First, your position is based on the assumption that the asking price is fair and thus a low offer is ridiculous and offensive. Asking price isn't always fair. In this particular case, what is a fair price? A thousand? Two? A few hundred? A painful death?

Second, there are many cultures where negotiations follow different rules and are a ritual that's very important to both parties. I've been told that this sequence captured the spirit of middle-eastern trading very well.

Lastly, I've been in sales for the last 12 years, and I can assure that low balling is a viable tactic and it happens quite a lot.

namad
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 30, 2008, 10:20:49 pm »

if anything you didn't haggle aggressively enough..

i know someone who haggles all the time even in America in stores that don't accept haggling and it actually often works if you can talk to the manager they'll always cut you a deal... if you know what their profit margins are you know they'll make money even giving you a discount and so they'll do it...

in Manhattan they sell counterfeit clothing and bags for like half normal price when in fact if you aren't a tourist you know that one tenth the price is still a massive profit to the criminals etc etc

MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 31, 2008, 02:40:56 am »

I think I know why some members here disliked that kind of "barging", you said there is always a choice and yes you are right there are many choices, but in this kind of dialog all you do is click "next" "next" "next" until the barging is resolved, this appear to some members as you don't really have a choice (once you picked the "barging" dialog option) but to click "next".
I think that if you put that same barging dialog in one window (with the NPC and the players names to know who say what) that would give the player in the next window that would appear a real choices.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:38:24 am by MaximB » Logged
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: March 31, 2008, 03:17:38 am »

That kind of "next-next" is present in Planescape. And since it has been said to be an influence, people shouldn't be surprised...

Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 31, 2008, 06:40:19 am »

I think the haggling sequence is awesome. Smile
Helian
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 31, 2008, 07:01:50 am »

I think the haggling sequence is awesome. Smile
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 31, 2008, 07:38:28 am »

That kind of "next-next" is present in Planescape. And since it has been said to be an influence, people shouldn't be surprised...
There is no other way to create believable conversations and thus believable characters.
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 31, 2008, 08:04:30 am »

There is no other way to create believable conversations and thus believable characters.

Actually there is...
Make more dialog options (about barging) that won't influence the outcome as the "skill check" already been made, it would create the false feeling that you actually do have a choice.

Or make more dialog options that will involve other skill checks (speech skills) that will influence the price (like he will be more favorable to you thus lower the prices).

But it is still good as it is now.

inhuman
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 31, 2008, 08:12:27 am »

Maybe, if VD gave a dialogue option to opt out at every step (except for the final one) of haggling and return to the initial choices, then the problem might be solved?

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: