Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 742804 times)
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: March 22, 2008, 02:38:19 pm »

Of course it's a great idea. But if Vince thinks dealing with an editor will take too long, surely dealing with beta testers is completely out of the question? If dealing with one editor would delay the release by an additional year, as he said, it seems that dealing with a team of beta testers could take anywhere from three years to a decade. (Obviously hyperbole on both Vince's and my parts, but the point stands.)

Personally, I think a beta test is worthwhile even if it extends the release, but then again I have some hope that I might be one of the testers, so I might be biased . . .
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #916 on: March 22, 2008, 03:20:34 pm »

They are testing the game anyway, internally, as they make it. I think they should test it internally for a week or something, full steam, and then released it. It's an indie, bugs are expected and understandable.

cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 22, 2008, 03:37:27 pm »

I think they should test it internally for a week or something, full steam, and then released it. It's an indie, bugs are expected and understandable.

That's an awful attitude.

AoD has a shot at being the first indie RPG to be successful. Why spoil that by adopting the very flaws that prevent reviewers and customers from taking indie releases seriously?

People can understand that indie games don't have the budget for the engines and graphics of AAA releases. No one's expecting AoD to compete with Crysis. But there's no excuse for misspellings, bad grammar, and untested bugs; indies and commercial games have a more equal playing field here than in just about any other area.

If AoD is released and the first few reviews from customers and pro/semi-pro reviewers complain at length about poor editing, bugginess, and constant crashes then we already know exactly what is going to happen: AoD will go the way of PtD. And if that happens because only a week was allocated to testing, then Vince & Co. will deserve it.
callehe
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 22, 2008, 03:47:03 pm »

I'm inclined to agree with Cardtrick about the idea of multiple editors. You could try it out Vince on a small scale. If it works and you are satisfied with the initial results you could let larger bodies of text be edited this way. Otherwise you could just use your old text. Nothing lost for you. All you need to do read alot of edits and choose what you would like to keep.
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 22, 2008, 03:56:27 pm »

They are testing the game anyway, internally, as they make it. I think they should test it internally for a week or something, full steam, and then released it. It's an indie, bugs are expected and understandable.

I think that is the wrong attitude to take if you want to see anymore Iron Tower games after AOD. If they treat their game like it is an indie then the market will to. I don't think ITS have hidden behind the Indie label or have ever used it as an excuse for problems with the game. Considering that AOD needs to succeed for them to make anymore games, VD should take as much time as he wants, even if that means another year or two.

Has Titus made it to the Raiders camp yet?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:04:41 pm by Lainestin » Logged
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #920 on: March 22, 2008, 04:17:57 pm »

I said a week like I could have said a mouth. The point is they should test it internally, full steam, after everything else.

ninjelephant
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 22, 2008, 08:36:13 pm »

I think they should test it internally for a week or something, full steam, and then released it. It's an indie, bugs are expected and understandable.

That's an awful attitude.

AoD has a shot at being the first indie RPG to be successful. Why spoil that by adopting the very flaws that prevent reviewers and customers from taking indie releases seriously?

People can understand that indie games don't have the budget for the engines and graphics of AAA releases. No one's expecting AoD to compete with Crysis. But there's no excuse for misspellings, bad grammar, and untested bugs; indies and commercial games have a more equal playing field here than in just about any other area.

If AoD is released and the first few reviews from customers and pro/semi-pro reviewers complain at length about poor editing, bugginess, and constant crashes then we already know exactly what is going to happen: AoD will go the way of PtD. And if that happens because only a week was allocated to testing, then Vince & Co. will deserve it.

First I have to agree that it IS a bad attitude.
On the second, about the crashes and bugs and really poor editing.. how about this:
If AoD doesnt have a full game beta testing then at least you could give a demo to only some members on this forum first,
and if some really bad crushes or bugs or poor editing are found than I would suggest reconsidering a delay of game and full game beta testing..
Just a thought..

I used to do drugs..
I still do, but I used to too.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 22, 2008, 09:33:30 pm »

That's not a real solution, though. Among other things, it doesn't take into account game breaking bugs that occur past the demo area; it wouldn't have caught either of VTMB's game breakers, for example. And if you're suggesting that the demo include the entire game . . . then how is that different from a beta test?

In any case, Vince has stated repeatedly that the demo won't be available before the full game.
ninjelephant
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 23, 2008, 06:21:12 am »

In any case, Vince has stated repeatedly that the demo won't be available before the full game.
didnt know that :/

I used to do drugs..
I still do, but I used to too.
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 23, 2008, 07:39:51 am »

Putting in a console, like in MW or NWN2 would be a very good idea in my opinion, even if took another month of work by the coder. That would pretty much eliminate the possibility of game-breaking bugs, since you could patch up your own game without having to restart.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 23, 2008, 09:05:03 am »

My apologies. I'm very busy at work, will try to take the screens tomorrow.
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 23, 2008, 07:59:46 pm »

My apologies. I'm very busy at work, will try to take the screens tomorrow.

Oh, I didn't mean to sound impatient. I just didn't want the thread to get too derailed.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 28, 2008, 08:03:36 pm »

Sorry, guys. Too much work lately. Anyway, decision time.

[attachment deleted to save space]
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 28, 2008, 08:34:50 pm »

Look gallows. Then, Go west.

Go with the sneak attack. If Titus kills the boss, he might have a good chance against the others.
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 28, 2008, 09:06:43 pm »

Demanding the prisoner might be seen as a sign of confidence and strength to the leader. Or that your suicidal. Hmmmm. The sneak attack could fail, and that would leave Titus in a dangerous situation. Even if he kills the leader, he has to contend with several raiders at once. The raiders could already know that House Daratan killed one of their own, and not knowing the full story they could make an example of you if you tell them that House Daratan sent you. I don't know which choice to make!

I'm not over evaluating the situation, am I? lol

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: