Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 742799 times)
Decay
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: March 18, 2008, 12:02:48 pm »

I say we find another way to Adidas, so at least the PC's efforts (completing those quest) won't just transform themselves into a few "good words"; imperials and better face-to-face relationship with the "man" of the town would be much better. Meaning try to get the quests from the mighty lord, if possible, for more reward. Oh, and a vote to flog Dellar as soon as possible when there are only some negligible consequances to it (for example losing a few HPs).
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 18, 2008, 12:43:40 pm »

Re response option:  "Didn't they tell you what they want?"

I generally dislike dialogue options where your only choice is to ask for more info. Maybe I don't actually care to explore the issue further, maybe I'm a "let's get to the action" kind of guy, or more likely, I've been through this dialogue twice already so I just want to cut to the chase without the exposition.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
inhuman
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 18, 2008, 02:12:11 pm »

In the screen that gives Dellar's background, there may be a problem. The text reads as "...and started raiding the same caravans he guarded yesterday". As far as I know, yesterday is a very specific word only used within the present time's context, so you can't use it in past speech. So I guess "yesterday" could be replaced with "the previous day", "days before", "a day before".

Quote from: cardtrick
In AoD 41.jpg, Dellar's first line should be "He did, did he?" if you want it to be doubtful/sarcastic/dismissive. "He did, didn't he?" implies that Dellar is realizing and acknowledging that you're right and he had previously been mistaken, which doesn't make as much sense in context.

In AoD 42.jpg, Dellar's first line is grammatically incorrect. If you want it to sound basically the same, but not look wrong, it could be changed to:
"That's Master Feng's job -- to assure people that their junk is valuable. And it's my job to get proper tributes from those who seek an audience."

If you want it actually to be grammatically correct, you could go with:
"It's Master Feng's job to assure people that their junk is valuable, and it's my job to get proper tributes from those who seek an audience."

I disagree with both. I'll not discuss the first one as I can't put my finger on the exact spot as to why, but in the second one, I think you missed something. There is a difference between making a one-piece fluent sentence and interrupting your own sentence with what you think as additional explanation. Perhaps a comma instead of lines and merging the two sentences would work better, since a sentence isn't supposed to start with "and" either.

Ie. where the character intends to say "It's Master Fen's job and it's my job to get proper tributes from those who seek an audience", he reconsiders mid-sentence and adds an explanation: "It's Master Fen's job, to assure people that their junk is valuable, and it's my job to get proper tributes from those who seek an audience". You can perfectly recognize the difference between the original sentence and cardtrick's suggestion in daily speech; there is this momentary hesitation, a self-interruption, whereas cardtrick's sentence flows without interrupts.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 02:17:41 pm by inhuman » Logged

jeansberg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 18, 2008, 02:23:36 pm »

I think it's ok that characters use less than perfect grammar sometimes. It's more realistic, anyway.
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 18, 2008, 02:35:39 pm »

I think it's ok that characters use less than perfect grammar sometimes. It's more realistic, anyway.

Yeah.
I remember it was very funny in NWN (I think) when your intelligence was too low and your character couldn't speak properly.
I hope that something like that will be in AoD as well. (will it Vince ?).
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 18, 2008, 02:45:49 pm »

I strongly think that you guys are wrong, but I don't feel up to debating it.

I write dialog the same way I write forum posts and emails (although a more carefully, and with fewer typos). You may have noticed that I tend to use lots of italics, double dashes, parenthetical asides, semicolons, and ellipses in my posts. I also frequently use fragments of sentences, but unless I'm sarcastically employing an Internet meme I always capitalize properly and use punctuation.

This is all because I try to mimic the natural flow of speech -- complete with digressions, interjections, pauses, and short thoughts -- but I nevertheless employ a variety of punctuation and other tricks to conform as closely as possible to the accepted rules of style and grammar, and thereby avoid appearing like a borderline-illiterate, 14 year old Gamespot poster. My last thoughts on the subject: my preference is for the first of my two suggestions, since I like for characters to use poor grammar when appropriate, but I don't like it when it just seems like the writer made a mistake, as in Vince's original example.
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 18, 2008, 05:14:11 pm »

My last thoughts on the subject: my preference is for the first of my two suggestions, since I like for characters to use poor grammar when appropriate, but I don't like it when it just seems like the writer made a mistake, as in Vince's original example.

Yep I agree with you here.
But Vince is a NOT native English speakers (like some of us) so we can all understand his mistakes, it's much harder then it looks.
As a non native English speaker I didn't notice some of Vince's grammar mistakes, but for this we got you guys Wink

Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 18, 2008, 05:42:17 pm »

Finding another way in would be cool. Titus has a rope and he just climbed up and down the wall of the inn. A palace couldn't be that much harder! Maybe he could explore the surroundings a little bit and talk to people?

On the other hand, Vince would perhaps like to show us some of the quests that he wrote with so much love... they make for good article material anyway.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 18, 2008, 06:40:24 pm »

Finding another way in would be cool. Titus has a rope and he just climbed up and down the wall of the inn. A palace couldn't be that much harder!
It is harder and something tells me that you don't have enough Dex to climb it quickly without being noticed and caught by guards (it's a palace after all, it's not for a playground for climbing enthusiasts), so let's avoid the embarrassment.

Anyway, let's finish the conversation and decide what to do.

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 06:42:16 pm by Vince » Logged
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 18, 2008, 06:45:44 pm »

Good stuff.

I vote that we go check out the ruins.

Will going to the ruins effect other quests that we already have? I know that some quests will auto-complete themselves if you leave the area, but what is considered leaving the area? Will going to the places that are just satellites of Teron cause any Teron quests to complete themselves?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 18, 2008, 06:52:33 pm »

No. Satellites don't count. Anyway, you have now 3 *known* (and I won't spoil the rest) options to get in:

1. Investigate the ruins
2. Deal with the raiders
3. Double-cross Feng

Votes please. Also, here is how the map works. I accepted both quests just to add the locations to the map. Compare the screens and note the side-roads.

[attachment deleted to save space]
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 18, 2008, 06:55:02 pm »

Alright , I think we should take the riders quest (as some of it was mentioned before so less spoiling here).
Double crossing Feng seems the fastest and easiest solution (although I didn't see the dialog option for doing so).
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 18, 2008, 07:05:44 pm »

Raiders. The whole setup of the quest is funny, so I want to know how it would play out for our Titus Smile
inhuman
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 18, 2008, 07:17:54 pm »

I don't remember but if a substantial amount of spoilers has been given out before for the Raiders quest, then I vote for that as well. If not, then I vote for investigating the ruins.

I'd first go have a talk with Cassius to see whether I'd make a decision to do something about him or sell Feng out to him, or neither, but that would be kind of suspicious I guess, and a little more work for VD.

Double crossing Feng seems the fastest and easiest solution (although I didn't see the dialog option for doing so).

Cassius' location is given for that. You probably go see Cassius whether you intend to "get rid of him", or sell Feng out to Cassius, so it's natural that we don't see it on a screen, I guess.

cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 18, 2008, 07:39:05 pm »

. . . something tells me that you don't have enough Dex to climb it quickly without being noticed and caught by guards

Just one of those funny feelings, huh?

Great dialogs -- especially the raiders explanation, and the followup. Dellar's a fun character. And here's another vote for the raiders. (Or possibly I already voted for the raiders?)
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: