Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 742786 times)
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #795 on: March 16, 2008, 10:55:21 am »

Who's to say Antidas is not a jerk aswell? I say we kill the both...

MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 16, 2008, 10:58:34 am »

Ok then, lets go talk to Antidas and see how things turn out Wink
Increase etiquette and streetwise prior to going as speaking is more interesting IMO then fighting.
Dr.Strangelove
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 16, 2008, 12:13:24 pm »

Have you ever dealt with greedy people before? Or anyone with strong vices/flaws? Most of the time these flaws would override the "clear thinking" department and be responsible for dumb mistakes.
I've dealt with greedy intelligent people and greedy idiots. Feng falls in the second category if he does this kind of "dump" mistake.

Anyway, here is how I see the situation. Antidas invites another loremaster. Feng has a very few options available to him. Using the assassins guild is risky as that's the first place Antidas will send his enforcers to if the loremaster turns up dead. So, it has to be a freelancer. Risky? Yes, but what does he have to lose? If he does nothing, he will definitely lose everything. If he tries something, he might lose everything or might actually win.
Never said anything different and I'm aware that if he did nothing we wouldn't have a quest.

There are some solutions: Getting rid of Cassius in another way, having the assassination look like an accident and hirind a capable assassin independently of the Assassin's Guild for more secrecy. These issues should be addressed before price and be reflected on Feng's conduct. His primary concern should be that the PC does a clean job. He must investigate the PC's capabilities and be interested on how the problem will be dealt.
Sometimes you can afford to be picky, when you have plenty of options to choose from. Sometimes, when you have no or one option, you play the cards you've got.
Feng has more to lose than his job in the case he's implicated in a sloppy failed attempt on Cassius life OR credibility. It's not about being picky but careful, unless he falls in the second category above, of course. About his options, you know obviously better. I thought of other PC vignettes as possible options, but my argument still stands. When you have only one course of action you are concentrated on its execution, proceeding with attention and care. You have to play the cards you got the right way.
Even without options, he could bluff he has as to get a better price for the player's services more credibly than with the "small matter" attitude. My main point is he has to show more care about the task, assign it to the player for his potential for success and haggle in a convincing manner about the price.

Besides, he doesn't ask you to kill him. If that's how you understood it, that's your problem, not Feng's. He can confess in being insecure and wishing for Cassius to go away, but he never asked to kill nobody. No siree Bob.
By clean job I did not mean necessarily murder. But in a sloppy attempt he would be a suspect, anyway.
Dr.Strangelove
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 16, 2008, 12:36:08 pm »

Die, both, DIE! (sorry, couldn't resist Smile )
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 16, 2008, 12:39:20 pm »

I can understand Feng's motives as Vince said, he got much to lose and I understand that he can lose his head if you double cross him.
So I suggest making a few quests of "trust".
Feng will give you a few "harmless to him" quests to earn your trust and then after you "became" buddies and he will lower his prices for you, then he will give you that risky quest.

Dr.Strangelove
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 16, 2008, 01:56:16 pm »

You don't need to befriend Feng, he needs a professional not a buddy. A quest or two for him to be convinced you have some chance to do the job would suffice. Becoming friends is a long and different process. For example, your doctor isn't necessarily your friend but you want him to be a good doctor and you choose him (when you can) accordingly. But, unless you were an egregious sucker, you wouldn't go to  a "touch therapist" or some other quack to be cured. You'd pick a doctor. Feng doesn't have time and has to gamble, but he needs someone, at least presumably, capable of helping him, not a quack.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 02:06:50 pm by Dr.Strangelove » Logged
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #801 on: March 16, 2008, 02:03:16 pm »

Die, both, DIE! (sorry, couldn't resist Smile )
Seriously, when a game gives me the power, I simply LOVE to bring mighty justice to jerks like these. It's like I'm the man, well, because games are stupid and let me actually BE the man and kill everyone I don't like... But then again, I love exploiting design flaws. Don't know why, though. Must be some kind of way for me to get back at the stupid developers or something. I'm sure AoD won't let me be the man so I probably won't be able to do much else after I kill a few important people, and I love that even more Smile

Then again, nothing prevents us from going and seeing what he's up to. Let us make a... an informed decision, shall we say? Smile As that old and wise man once said (I forget his name), "he who knows his friends knows his enemies"... Or something...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:19:41 pm by Morbus » Logged

MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 16, 2008, 02:20:08 pm »

You don't need to befriend Feng, he needs a professional not a buddy. A quest or two for him to be convinced you have some chance to do the job would suffice. Becoming friends is a long and different process. For example, your doctor isn't necessarily your friend but you want him to be a good doctor and you choose him (when you can) accordingly. But, unless you were an egregious sucker, you wouldn't go to  a "touch therapist" or some other quack to be cured. You'd pick a doctor. Feng doesn't have time and has to gamble, but he needs someone, at least presumably, capable of helping him, not a quack.

Well what I meant was not real buddies, but he have to trust you enough because his life if in your hands.
But as I've said I can also understand and keep it like this.
If we going to make 10 pages on each quest this game will take longer to develop the Duke4 , and we don't want that Wink
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 16, 2008, 09:30:31 pm »

I say we pump Etiquette. I just hope 25 Etiquette is worth something.
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 17, 2008, 06:56:25 am »

New article up at RPGWatch detailing this thread. If only I had known... lol

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Azael
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 17, 2008, 12:27:56 pm »

Before we go, we have 5 skill points to distribute. Would you like to improve your skills now? To remind you where we were, here is the last character screen:

This isn't the current character screen is it? We should have a body count of two now, right?

Anyway, my vote is: 1 Crossbow, 2 CS, 1 Dodge, 1 Streetwise

Ceterum censeo Bethesda esse delendam
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 17, 2008, 12:52:11 pm »

No, that was AoD 2 (i.e. the second screen I posted). So, what do we have?

Split between Etiquette and Streetwise
3 Streetwise, maybe Etiquette
5 Streetwise
3 Streetwise, 2 Critical Strike
Crossbow, Dodge, Streetwise
5 Etiquette
1 Crossbow, 2 CS, 1 Dodge, 1 Streetwise

So, we have 15 votes for Streetwise, 9 for Etiquette, 4 for CS, 2 for Crossbow and 2 for Dodge. So, I'll give 3 points to Streetwise and 2 to Etiquette.
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 17, 2008, 01:08:40 pm »

No, that was AoD 2 (i.e. the second screen I posted). So, what do we have?

Split between Etiquette and Streetwise
3 Streetwise, maybe Etiquette
5 Streetwise
3 Streetwise, 2 Critical Strike
Crossbow, Dodge, Streetwise
5 Etiquette
1 Crossbow, 2 CS, 1 Dodge, 1 Streetwise

So, we have 15 votes for Streetwise, 9 for Etiquette, 4 for CS, 2 for Crossbow and 2 for Dodge. So, I'll give 3 points to Streetwise and 2 to Etiquette.

OK, let's speak  with Antidas now, let's see if he is a better person then that greedy bastard.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 17, 2008, 07:11:14 pm »

Armed with Streetwise and Etiquette, our hero decided to pay a social visit to Lord Antidas. After all, important people should spend time together, should they not? Titus combed his hair, put on a fresh shirt, and looking like a perfect gentleman, ringed a door bell.

[attachment deleted to save space]
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 17, 2008, 07:13:26 pm »

Turned out Lord Antidas have heard about you and was even expecting you to drop by. Splendid!

[attachment deleted to save space]
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: