Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 742789 times)
axedice
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 07, 2008, 08:46:20 pm »

Don't think too hard. You'll get a headache.

I especially liked the way he changed our mind by mocking us Smile A little but nice detail.
This might come as a shock, but I say we go see this Lord Antidas now.

Oh and should't it be "Lord Antidas" in the text rather than "lord Antidas" ?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 07, 2008, 08:51:18 pm »

Quite possibly.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 08, 2008, 12:38:34 am »

Loved it; awesome dialogs. Moar! I love the way the dialog looks with the quotes, too; this game is reminding me a lot more of PS:T than I expected it to. Honestly, I was expecting great choices/consequences and fun Fallout-esque gameplay, but I'm continually impressed by the quality of the writing, which I think seems to surpass Fallout's.

Minor nitpick: you spelled "artifact" as "artefact." A spellchecker probably wouldn't have picked that up, and it's not technically wrong, but it is a British spelling. I wouldn't use it unless you're going all-British with your spelling (civilisation rather than civilization, etc.).
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 08, 2008, 03:36:17 am »

Honestly, I was expecting great choices/consequences and fun Fallout-esque gameplay, but I'm continually impressed by the quality of the writing, which I think seems to surpass Fallout's.
Agreed. You're doing a GREAT job, Vince. Smile
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 08, 2008, 04:21:34 am »

Really nice Vince. Just that short snippet on that noone truly know what happened made me want to see more.

Great stuff, can't wait to play this.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 08, 2008, 08:08:56 am »

Loved it; awesome dialogs. Moar! I love the way the dialog looks with the quotes, too...
Yep. Definitely looks better than before. You were right.

...this game is reminding me a lot more of PS:T than I expected it to. Honestly, I was expecting great choices/consequences and fun Fallout-esque gameplay, but I'm continually impressed by the quality of the writing, which I think seems to surpass Fallout's.
Thanks.

Minor nitpick: you spelled "artifact" as "artefact." A spellchecker probably wouldn't have picked that up, and it's not technically wrong, but it is a British spelling. I wouldn't use it unless you're going all-British with your spelling (civilisation rather than civilization, etc.).
The dictionary assured me that both are correct and that artefact is the original word, but that's probably because it is British. I'll fix it, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:10:35 am by Vince » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 08, 2008, 08:53:26 am »

A question for everyone. If you choose the "let's find another way" option (link), you can either intimidate Feng (he'll respond by calling in a guard who sits outside) or work something out. The latter will result in a quest to kill a rival loremaster (Cassius) invited by Antidas who's beginning to suspect that Feng is full of shit. Double-crossing Feng and taking Cassius to Lord Antidas will allow you to bypass Dellar's (Antidas' main enforcer and "gate" keeper) quests, will make Cassius a new loremaster and force Feng to flee (and eventually surface in Ganezzar).

So as you can see, while the quest is simple, its effects aren't. The quest is hidden in one of the dialogue branches and won't be offered unless you explore a very specific branch, which doesn't have tags and thus would probably be skipped by most people.

Is this a good idea or not? Should this quest be offered to all or remain as is? What are your thoughts on quests that aren't offered, but must be found in dialogue branches?
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 08, 2008, 09:25:20 am »

It's an awesome idea and it should remain exactly the way it is. Quests that must be found in dialog branches are great, especially if they make sense the way this seems to. I'm surprised you even felt the need to ask . . . in fact, I suspect this is a little bit of "fishing for compliments" under-handed bragging. Wink But hey, you're entitled.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 08, 2008, 09:46:24 am »

Not really. Wasn't fishing for compliments. In fact I was even embarrassed to ask because the question smells of "God forbid the player will miss something because it wasn't shoved in his face" *philosophy*. However, it *is* very, very easy to miss this quest. If it was a minor "cute way to get something for free" quest, I wouldn't have even asked, obviously, but this quest affects a lot of things and gives you a solution to another quest, and as a designer I want to be sure that the quest has a fighting chance to be seen.

Edit: I'm just being honest here.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 08, 2008, 10:03:09 am »

Yeah, I was pretty much kidding. Still, in a game with such an emphasis on replayability, I think quests that are a little tricky to find are ideal.

But if it's as important a quest as all that, then it may be best to have a second shot at picking it up or at least strong hints that it exists before turning it down the first time. Maybe upon ending your conversation with Feng the "normal" way, there's a stat/skill check. If your character looks like a good fighter, then just as you're turning to leave Feng will tell you to wait and then say that he has a job for someone as tough as you, if you're interested.
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 08, 2008, 10:07:06 am »

Well, maybe you should use the cassius quest or parts of it at a later point again, if the player skips the first chance to get it (it's really well hidden..). You obviously put a lot of work in that questline, so offering another chance to the player (where it makes sense) would be the best solution imho. This way you can add even more choices in dialogue without having to add more quests. Wink
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 08, 2008, 11:13:11 am »

Maybe upon ending your conversation with Feng the "normal" way, there's a stat/skill check. If your character looks like a good fighter, then just as you're turning to leave Feng will tell you to wait and then say that he has a job for someone as tough as you, if you're interested.
That makes sense.

Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 08, 2008, 11:20:26 am »

If Feng wants Cassius killed, why doesn't he simply use the assassin's guild? Asking the player to kill someone, without any assurance that the player won't double-cross him, would be out of character for the shrewd guy that Feng is supposed to be, right?
At least, he should try to figure out whether the player is a cold-blooded killer or not.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 08, 2008, 11:38:12 am »

If Feng wants Cassius killed, why doesn't he simply use the assassin's guild?
It's cheaper and he's a greedy fuck. In other words, for the same reasons some people take their cars to shitty, little garage shops and not to dealerships or big repair chains.

Asking the player to kill someone, without any assurance that the player won't double-cross him, would be out of character for the shrewd guy that Feng is supposed to be, right?
What are his options? The assassins guild can double-cross him as easily since it's Antidas' town and acting against his interests isn't wise for the local guild.

Anyway, I'll tweak the text and post the screens when I have a chance.

Dr.Strangelove
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 08, 2008, 11:44:57 am »

Maybe this: After Feng asks for 25 gold, leave the two options as they are already. Only If the players chooses to think, and Feng gives the headache line, you might add again the "let's find another way" option (maybe with the player hinting in some way at his skills or affiliation). Thus, we give another chance the player (and Feng to skill-check the player) to see this possibility which is very fitting for assassins. Hey, we even get to role-play "thinking" this way!   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:14:25 pm by Dr.Strangelove » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: