Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 566834 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: March 02, 2008, 11:48:04 am »

Awesome dialogue.
Many thanks.

I'm with the "it's so freaking awesome that your skills allow you to call out people trying to scam you, never mind how cool it is that people are trying to scam you in the first place" crowd, by the way.
It's more realistic and interesting than friendly people going out of their way to help you.

Playing the game with different characters will often show something you experienced from a different angle. In the loremaster's vignette:

Feng:
"Did you finish translating that scroll? Nevermind, I have a better job for you. Someone at the inn has a trinket they want me to look at. As my apprentice, why don't you handle it? I'm sure it's something worthless anyway. Just remember what I taught you: take a good look, show some excitement - as if your rich uncle just died - then say "It's a very valuable artifact that's worth a lot to the right collector. You were wise to bring it to us to learn its true value." Wait for the words to sink in and then ask for fifty coins to research it further."

I have a concern! ... In the second screenshot, you're using the past tense in your description .... I really think you need to stick with either past tense or present tense in all dialog descriptions. Of the two, I think present works much better in a game.
Ok.

Fritharik
DS Bronze Patrons

Destined for a nameless grave

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 02, 2008, 08:00:46 pm »

"...never mind how cool it is that people are trying to scam you in the first place" crowd, by the way.
I don't agree with that, it pops up often enough in RPGs, but usually it isn't handled nearly this well for a number of reasons. It is plausible for one, not something blindingly obvious as is so often the case in games. I can see players being fooled on this one, even though there is enough subtext surrounding the conversation that it isn't unfair. Calling him out on it, with the right stats, is the really nice feature; often games relegate players to a very specific fate, such as forcing them to go along with an obvious scam. But that is something you apparently always strive to avoid with AoD, Vince.
Dr.Strangelove
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 02, 2008, 09:40:11 pm »

I'm with the "it's so freaking awesome that your skills allow you to call out people trying to scam you, never mind how cool it is that people are trying to scam you in the first place" crowd, by the way.
It's more realistic and interesting than friendly people going out of their way to help you.

Playing the game with different characters will often show something you experienced from a different angle. In the loremaster's vignette:

Feng:
"Did you finish translating that scroll? Nevermind, I have a better job for you. Someone at the inn has a trinket they want me to look at. As my apprentice, why don't you handle it? I'm sure it's something worthless anyway. Just remember what I taught you: take a good look, show some excitement - as if your rich uncle just died - then say "It's a very valuable artifact that's worth a lot to the right collector. You were wise to bring it to us to learn its true value." Wait for the words to sink in and then ask for fifty coins to research it further."
These are reasons to love this game. I already do. Different people with different perspectives thrown by circumstances in a contest where their actions may have significant impact in the world around them(no chosen-one bullshit). A world where deceit and manipulation have their proper role of advancing one's interests, where demons don't have horns and fools don't have bells hanging from their heads. As realistic as you can get! Anybody missing rag-doll physics?

About Loremaster's outfit: Since they are explores and the game world is a desert, the most fitting clothes should be(or inspired by) those worn by desert people. Bedouin and Tuareg come to my mind. I mean large comfortable pants, shirts, maybe robes, various belts even the headpieces as long as they are not too ethnic or folkloric. It may be tough to design, though. Some pics:
http://www.photographersdirect.com/buyers/stockphoto.asp?imageid=1068625
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/images/0238713-Bedouin-Posing.JPG
http://www.maduncan.com/images/Early-Morning-Hunt.jpg
http://www.maduncan.com/images/Bedouin-and-his-dog.jpg
http://www.ethnicdenim.com/fashion-blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/bedouin2.jpg headpiece
http://photos.igougo.com/images/p243501-Petra-Bedouin_Live_Music.jpg the man on the left for his accessories
http://www.lifeintheholyland.com/images/hv/186_A_bedouin_of_the_Hauran.jpg
http://www.arabian-horses-legacy.com/image-files/bedouins1.jpg

None of these is satisfying as is, but they might help as a source of inspiration.

The outfit in Brother None's pic seems fitting and functional but it can convince any annoying kid to eat his soup by its sheer ugliness!

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:37:50 pm by Dr.Strangelove » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 02, 2008, 09:47:57 pm »

Good idea. We'll give it a try. Thanks.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 02, 2008, 10:00:47 pm »

I'm not sure I like the full-on dishdasha/thobe look for the loremaster. I do think I like the headpiece. What about some bastard child of British khaki desert uniforms and traditional dishdasha headgear. That is, an outfit sort of like in the first picture below but with headgear like in the second one (and yes, that is Michael Jackson), and with more pouches and scroll cases. Because nothing says loremaster to me like pouches.

EDIT: To be more explicit, here are the things I like about the British uniform: the goofy long shorts, the oversized belt, the khaki coloring, the baggy shirt, the rolled sleeves. I don't think the collar, socks, or boots make sense for AoD for obvious reasons. I like the dishdasha headpiece a lot, but I would prefer it to be colored khaki to match the rest of the outfit. I think this makes more sensethan a full-on white dishdasha, given that loremasters will presumably be traveling by foot, requiring lots of mobility, and hiding in the desert, requiring desert coloration -- much like the British footsoldiers and unlike the Arab nomads.

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:05:31 pm by cardtrick » Logged
Fritharik
DS Bronze Patrons

Destined for a nameless grave

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 03, 2008, 01:56:10 am »

I was flipping through Osprey's series on Roman military clothing on this point, and I came up with a few things. Basically, I came from the same angle as Strangelove, explorers and clothing fit for heavy traveling. The most obvious aspect of this look, at least in concern to the Roman military, is the cloak. But a simple cover-all is relatively boring, so I went through and picked out interesting cloak designs and clothing that looks traveling appropriate, for possible inspiration for your guys Vince.

For the "Policing the Greek East" set, I am primarily thinking of the Marine, 1; which you can also see is based on a tombstone design in the next image. A pretty rough design, though visually cut out for heavy traveling.

In the "Horsemen of Luxor" set, I am thinking of the Officer, 1; similar to the Great Hunt mosaic image below it. This is a more well-to-do design, based on how you want to present the Loremaster.

And in the "Outposts of the Empire" set, I am putting forward the Auxiliary Caesarea, 1, and the Auxiliary Centurion, 3. Interestingly, we are getting close to Strangelove's idea here, with clothing for a hot climate, though this is a less native approach. I particularly like the Auxiliary Centurian's costume, which I think is very interesting visually with its different elements.

The last image is simply of a relief of a legionary wearing a cloak.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 01:58:14 am by Fritharik » Logged
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #681 on: March 03, 2008, 03:23:42 am »

"...never mind how cool it is that people are trying to scam you in the first place" crowd, by the way.
I don't agree with that, it pops up often enough in RPGs, but usually it isn't handled nearly this well for a number of reasons. It is plausible for one, not something blindingly obvious as is so often the case in games. I can see players being fooled on this one, even though there is enough subtext surrounding the conversation that it isn't unfair. Calling him out on it, with the right stats, is the really nice feature; often games relegate players to a very specific fate, such as forcing them to go along with an obvious scam. But that is something you apparently always strive to avoid with AoD, Vince.
I for one fell for it... Only before I read the reply line, of course Tongue

cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 03, 2008, 04:29:29 am »

Great contribution, Fritharik. My preference is for costume 3 from the "Outposts" set, but with the coloring of costume 1 from the same set. I also really like the last relief image of the legionary with cloak.
Ander Vinz
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 03, 2008, 05:21:02 am »

This is what loremaster should look like:

Pastel: "PS:T had rat diplomacy - although the buggers would betray you, I think. Rotten, filthy creatures."
Aequitas
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 04, 2008, 02:27:12 am »

First off, I really appreciate this "Let's play..." post.  It was quite informative, amusing in parts (I will have a hard time trying to eat corn on the cob with a straight face for a while yet), but most of all, it was refreshing to see a developer not only interacting with the community, but actively asking and acting upon advice from the community.  The only thing even vaguely close to this interaction that I've come across is with Stardock.

I'll revert to my normal stalking now, but I really just wanted to thank you "Vince" and the rest of the Iron Tower team for what you guys are doing, and the effort you're putting into this.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 04, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

my normal stalking

Whoah . . . that's so much more hardcore than the simple lurking we're used to.  Grin
Dr.Strangelove
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 04, 2008, 10:47:28 am »

Fritharik's idea is great, the cloak is appropriate and important.I especially like outfits 1, 3 of both greekeast and outpost pics, the marine too. These are very traveler-like and have and have less cultural connotations than my idea, which is good. I still think that a Berber influenced look might be good to add variety to Loremasters but might be more appropriate for caravans and traders traveling through the desert.
Imo, white thawbs and black agar(cord of the Arab headdress) should be avoided, because they are very reminiscent of modern Arabs. Various keffiyeh, cloaks and pants(as in my pics) would be ok because of their desert traveler feel.
I think shorts and Indy are too modern for the game's setting.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 10:50:01 am by Dr.Strangelove » Logged
Aequitas
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 04, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

my normal stalking

Whoah . . . that's so much more hardcore than the simple lurking we're used to.  Grin

Evil  If it softens it at all, I posted that at ~2:40AM after having read all 46 pages straight through.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 07, 2008, 08:15:08 pm »

Let's continue:

Successfully passing the streetwise check takes you backstage and introduces a very interesting - in my opinion, of course - design element. It successfully alters your character's perception of what's going on. In one playthrough you are led to believe that you have a great artefact. Later on you take it to lord Antidas where master Feng will explain the awesomeness of the artefact and will suggest that perhaps you've been chosen by fate. If you didn't have the chat (attached below) you'll believe that and play the game without realizing that you are being manipulated. If you did, you will understand what's going on and why.

We use that a lot in AoD. Anyway...

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 07, 2008, 08:18:02 pm »

The last one.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: