Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 562714 times)
zhirzzh

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: March 01, 2008, 12:26:44 am »

Streetwise. If we ever need to deal with Feng again the persuade option will screw us over, and we can still try to haggle after he gives us a reasonable price.
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 01, 2008, 02:01:38 am »

Streetwise, obviously. Persuasion would mean pissing him off, and trading or paying 50, sucking his dick. We want to do neither.
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 01, 2008, 02:16:46 am »

We have 20 in trading, 22 in persuasion and 30 in streetwise. Lets choose that streetwise as it is our highest skill.

Agreed.

I roleplay. If there un-conscious, i just walk away and pretend there dead.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #663 on: March 01, 2008, 05:26:37 am »

Why wouldn' we see that many lines in the game? Sad

jeansberg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 01, 2008, 06:02:21 am »

Because we might not have that many points in streetwise, persuasion and trading? Smile
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: March 01, 2008, 06:44:57 am »

Because we might not have that many points in streetwise, persuasion and trading? Smile
Oh, yeah, sure. For a moment there I was like "why!?!?!" Tongue ehhe, sorry.

Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 01, 2008, 07:53:21 am »

Titus doesn't have mindblowing values in those either. Likely, they just dumbed down the skill checks for the LP, or haven't raised them properly yet.
By the way, VD, how is starting Streetwise calculated? IMO it should depend on PER and INT, but currently it seems to be either 3*INT+CHA or 2*PER+2*CHA. Why would streetwise depend on Charisma at all?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 01, 2008, 09:27:40 am »

Why wouldn' we see that many lines in the game? Sad
Min requirements (to see the lines) are 25. If you are playing a "fighter", you'll have only two options: pay or "find another way". You'll also be under the impression that the scroll is a "valuable artefact".

We dropped the requirements for the LP thread to show our game design.

By the way, VD, how is starting Streetwise calculated? IMO it should depend on PER and INT, but currently it seems to be either 3*INT+CHA or 2*PER+2*CHA. Why would streetwise depend on Charisma at all?
Now that you mentioned it, I'm surprised myself. We'll change it.
Mehler
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 01, 2008, 10:23:16 am »

Streetwise is the most interesting option, imo. I was disapointed when I read the valuable artifact line as it's a typical cliche, but if Feng lied to get more money and you can call his bullshit, that's just awesome. That's something you don't see a lot in games.
Dr.Strangelove
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 01, 2008, 12:39:32 pm »

Streetwise. It's the best skill and seems to leave more options open.

About Loremaster's outfit: imo, it doesn't seem appropriate neither for a scholar nor for an explorer, which Loremasters are supposed to be. It's not practical and lacks sobriety. It looks like the outfit of Fulliautomatix, the blacksmith, only much kinkier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurring_characters_in_Asterix#Fulliautomatix
Are you sure you want to keep it as is?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 01, 2008, 01:33:33 pm »

No. It was a good idea (concept art) that simply didn't work in the end. We are considering different options here, but if anyone has any ideas, now is the time to share them.
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 01, 2008, 02:04:23 pm »

I've always imagined them looking like that guy in my avatar, perhaps with less fancy clothes.
Brother None
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 01, 2008, 02:28:37 pm »

No. It was a good idea (concept art) that simply didn't work in the end. We are considering different options here, but if anyone has any ideas, now is the time to share them.

D&D!
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 01, 2008, 02:40:57 pm »

Oy...
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 01, 2008, 07:37:45 pm »

Awesome dialogue. Obviously streetwise is the way to go. I'm with the "it's so freaking awesome that your skills allow you to call out people trying to scam you, never mind how cool it is that people are trying to scam you in the first place" crowd, by the way.

And hey, guess what? I have a concern!

In the second screenshot, you're using the past tense in your description of Feng -- "Feng's exact age was undeterminable", etc. This strikes me as awkward. I've seen this particular description before, in a screenshot of the journal, and it looks good having it in the past tense there, where it's a record of your impressions of him when you met him in the past. But now, when you're meeting him for the first time, it looks very strange to me for it to be in the past tense.

This is even worse because it's the first time you've used the past tense. Everything else in the descriptions has been presented in the present tense. For example, check out the screens in the post where you show us climbing into Gracius' window. You've got to be consistent, or it's jarring. It's like when you read bad amateur fiction (by a middle school kid or a fan fiction author or something) and you have them switching from first to third person and past to present  to future tense all the damn time -- it's awful, and virtually unreadable. This isn't as offensive because there's gameplay in between dialogues so you simply don't notice the switch as much, but it's the same in principle.

I really think you need to stick with either past tense or present tense in all dialog descriptions. Of the two, I think present works much better in a game. If it's not too much extra work, then what would be even better is for the dialog descriptions to be in present tense, but the transcripts in your journal to be in the past tense -- that makes the most sense.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: