Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 742816 times)
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 15, 2008, 05:34:24 pm »

Wouldn't Streetwise work as well?
[streetwise] You notice that he is lying. "Are you trying to test my knowledge, peasant? My house fought no battle at Niceea."

Streetwise used there is a little bit more of a stretch than Lore, but that does make me ponder this question:  VD, there might be a danger in multiple skillchecks in the same dialog if each check is unaccompanied by another.  What I mean is that the more checks in a given dialog, the more specific a character build will have to be in order to accomplish a favorable outcome (assuming that there is only one outcome that is desirous, i.e. getting in to see Lord Antidas). 

Using a made-up scenario:

NPC:  Huh?
PC:  Gimme X.
NPC:  Neg.
PC: [Disguise]
NPC:  Almost.
PC: [Lore]
NPC:  Well, ok then.

In the above scenario, only a character with high Lore and Disguise gets X.  That's a pretty specific build.  As opposed to:

NPC:  Huh?
PC:  Gimme X.
NPC:  Neg.
PC: [Disguise]
NPC:  Almost.
PC: [Lore] OR [Streetwise]
NPC:  Well, ok then.

Now the options encompass a character build with high Disguise and high Lore or high Streetwise, which is more likely than the first example.

I understand completely that you want to make options somewhat narrow so as to provide different experiences for different characters, but with all the possible builds one could create in AoD, perhaps using more than one check in at least some circumstances would improve a players options without it becoming a "complete every quest with a single char" scenario.  Naturally, there are some situations which will require a very specific build, because they are obstacles intended to be surmounted only with difficulty.  This also reduces some strain on you (the devs), because you no longer need to make quests that are available to every possible character build combination.

How would you say the majority of dialog trees laid out so far?

-W

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #631 on: February 15, 2008, 06:33:14 pm »

Fallout 2 had those kinds of checks. They were nice, even if they all ran under the hood, and were very few. I remember two that checked your intelligence or your charisma, although charisma would have to be higher if the intelligence check failed. In this specific situation, I think the streewise check would need to be higher...

sqeecoo
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 16, 2008, 10:52:08 am »

Hi!

I'd like to give some general feedback on recent events Smile

First of all, I think this "let's play" thing is great; it gives a lot of insight into the game, helps you get some feedback, and shows just how willing you are to take that feedback seriously and make improvements. Congratulations.

I think two important points were made in this thread. First, there has to be a clear difference between actions, spoken text and gameplay information in the game. I have nothing to add to the excellent suggestions made for achieving this.

Second, the consequences of a choice should not be surprising unless that is intended. The second  option in the dialogue with the guard should make clear that you will be leaving and abandoning the loot in the chest. However, I don't think adding more options is needed. An infinite amount of options in unfeasible and can obstruct the game-flow. I prefer fewer interesting and well-developed options. Other than in crucial dialogues, there is no need for more than 2-3 options.

And now a comment on the combat video, and the graphics and interface in general. It's absolutely brilliant! Those graphics are some of the best I have ever seen, on par with FO and PST. Mind you, I don't judge graphics by detail, polygon count, and level of bloom, but by how well they are suited to the game, by art direction, and by how much they add to the atmosphere. In fact, the graphics are almost too good - the guy who covered his face when hit in the head was very impressive, and that level of detail was almost out of place in a game of this type. Great overall, and I think no further improvements are needed in what you have shown so far.

However, you desperately need some combat sounds. Any sounds what so ever. Please.

All in all, congratulations to the team, keep up the good work, and don't hurry - as much as I'd like to play this game NOW, take your time to polish it - polish is what makes a product (of any kind) great, the original creation almost always needs improvement, even if it's great to start with.

Cheers!

erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 16, 2008, 12:15:31 pm »

And now a comment on the combat video, and the graphics and interface in general. It's absolutely brilliant! Those graphics are some of the best I have ever seen, on par with FO and PST. Mind you, I don't judge graphics by detail, polygon count, and level of bloom, but by how well they are suited to the game, by art direction, and by how much they add to the atmosphere.

That's how I think about "good" graphics too. The game looks and "feels" great.

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 16, 2008, 12:36:56 pm »

First of all, I think this "let's play" thing is great; it gives a lot of insight into the game, helps you get some feedback, and shows just how willing you are to take that feedback seriously and make improvements. Congratulations.
Thanks.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 20, 2008, 09:35:40 pm »

Sorry, guys. I'm overloaded at work, so I didn't have any time to spend here.

Anyway, I'm afraid I have some bad news. While we were waiting, inflation wiped out Titus' savings, reducing his hard earned 462 imperials bucks to 46. All store prices were adjusted and that's what triggered the inflation. Oh well...

So we hit the merchants guild, sold some junk and bought a dagger. The merchant tried to talk Titus into buying some really awesome weapons of ultimate asskicking, but I don't think Titis can afford designers' "made in Italy" merchandise yet.

Next step - the loremaster dude!

[attachment deleted to save space]
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 20, 2008, 09:36:55 pm »

More.

Edit: Here is a full shot of the guild. I don't think I posted that before.

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:38:44 pm by Vince » Logged
Mehler
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 20, 2008, 10:32:18 pm »

I like the little details like the merchant putting hands together (AoD 24). The guild looks awesome, by the way.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 20, 2008, 11:00:25 pm »

Very cool. Why were the store prices adjusted? I really like the shots of the merchant's guild (and the merchant). Why does the merchant know our name, by the way? Did you skip a couple of dialog screens in which you introduced us to him? Oh, and I'm pretty sure that "only a fool will consider buying such a sword" should be "only a fool would consider buying such a sword", but it would be good to get a third opinion.

(Love the quotation marks. Smile)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #639 on: February 21, 2008, 02:59:19 am »

Really, REALLY dig those guild shots, your intereriors are looking fantastic. Great job guys!

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 21, 2008, 07:39:00 am »

Very cool. Why were the store prices adjusted?
I prefer smaller numbers.

Why does the merchant know our name, by the way?
It's a small town. We didn't want to go with the "hi there, I'm a stranger!" routine. That's one of the reasons why we have the backgrounds.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that "only a fool will consider buying such a sword" should be "only a fool would consider buying such a sword", but it would be good to get a third opinion.
I'm pretty sure you're right.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 21, 2008, 03:03:14 pm »

Looks all good to me, except one thing. Is it possible to give the NPC's a slighlty more "default relaxed posture? They seem unnaturally stiff. Weight shifted a tiny bit to one foot, arms less straigth, etc.? The merchant looks much better in the last shot where he shows the hand gesture.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
sqeecoo
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 21, 2008, 06:17:56 pm »

Very cool. Why were the store prices adjusted?
I prefer smaller numbers.

Great! Me too.
Why does the merchant know our name, by the way?
It's a small town. We didn't want to go with the "hi there, I'm a stranger!" routine. That's one of the reasons why we have the backgrounds.

Wow! This is new! And I like it! Nice touch. What if you pick the "stranger" background?

EDIT: GhanBuriGhan is not wrong about the stiffness, but I think the issue is very, very minor. I'd prefer you work on weeding out grammatical errors like the will/would thing instead.
TheLostOne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 21, 2008, 07:25:45 pm »

How small a town?  In a town where people recognize most others by face and name it would seem a bit odd to have an assassin's guild don't you think? 

Unless it's not really THAT small and you're a regular at this shop.  Is it dependant on your background what different people know your name?  If that's what you're implying then cool!
inhuman
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 21, 2008, 07:25:59 pm »

Do you have a looping "standing still" animation? Here's a little suggestion: keep loop animation on during dialogue. Might also help with the stiff looks.

edit: I believe VD has mentioned that the assassins' guild is a legitimate business, so that might be your answer.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:27:45 pm by inhuman » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: